Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical anyone have speedwy 9 super7s on thier flathead?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jan bogert, Dec 4, 2011.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

i have a problem with them leaking about 5 mins. after i turn the car off. gas trinkels down the venturi and drips off the throttle arms. below the idle stop anyone have this problem? floats are 1/2" fuel pressure is 2 1/2lbs.

2. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

Its pretty much covered that they suck. Do a search and find all the testimony.

3. cruzr

cruzr

you get what you pay for.........

i bought the English 97's new ..more money but they perform flawlessly

4. jan bogert

jan bogert

now i know, but its not helping my problem. Cruzr, were did you get them? what kind of bucks?

5. 8-Track

8-Track

Save your self a bunch of time and return them, they will never be any good or safe.

6. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I know what they cost and you sure didn't pay for that... send 'em back. Ole Speedy Bill Don't want to make good?

I know you have to run real low pressure on the old 94's & 7's, like 1-3 pounds, you have a pressure regulator on that?

7. cruzr

cruzr

Got mine from Limeworks,check their website

8. jan bogert

jan bogert

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's amazing that after all of the negative reviews about Speedy Bill's repops that he is selling any of them. Get ahold of Uncle Max (or some of the other rebuilders here on the HAMB) and get yourself some "real" 97's.

Frank

10. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Kinda off the topic, but why are the 97'3 so much more popular ( read : expensive) than the Holley 94's ?

11. deuce354

deuce354

You have a local distrubtor for the english 97 s , Larry 412 378 3080

12. khead47

khead47

Old stuff is good stuff.

13. I had an old hot rodder friend (76) years old say the holley 94's where a much better carb than the stromberg 97's.....I have run both and haven't noticed a difference for a one pot manifold.....Gump

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When I was at Speedway in June, I asked point blank how they were handling the Super 97 problems and was told that changes in the design and manufacturing were fast tracked and refunds were issued to early buyers.

Now, before some jumps on here and whines about how Speedy Bill "stole" their idea, I would refer you to Paul D. Smith's book, MERCHANTS OF SPEED and count up the early pissing matches that the pioneers of this industry engaged in over designs and patents involving speed equipment in the 1950's through the early 1970's

I too would like to know if someone has purchased these carbs in the last six months and whether or not they performed as advertised.

15. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I run a 94 on my stock flathead and duals on a mild 8ba with a Fenton intake.I have a much more radical 59a with 97s on an Evans intake that are going on the shelf to be replaced with a matched set of model 59 94s.

It like 'em a lot better than 97s for many reasons not the least of which is the perceived value, but the real reason is that, from a practical point of view, there is no difference between the two designs. They both were designed to work on the same engine and they both perform the same way. I'd rather put the 2 to 300.00 dollor difference in cost somewhere else on my hot rod project.
    But that's just my personal preference.

Strombergs were one year only...'38. I can't remember the whole story but it's something like this....
    Ford wanted to have greater control over the carbs on his engines so they contracted with Chndler Groves to design a replacement for the 97. Part of the deal was that Ford would buy carbs exclusively from CG for a period of time and then own the design which they could then contract out to others...like Holley... For manufacturing.

Because of that you find 94s made by several different companies with different logos stamped on the fuel bowl.

They are great carbs, easy to build and dial in to many different application requirements and they're easier to find and much less expensive than Steombergs.

I collect and restore them and put 'em in use. I even have one my 261 inline In my '51 Chevy pickup.... Lots of power and 17 tp 20 mpg.

16. jan bogert

jan bogert

Denis4x4 i got these in oct. the only problem is i needed to drop in main jets from 045 whitch they come with to 042 for my stock motor. and them boiling the fuel which i'll get insulator spacers.

17. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Uncle Max set me up with a pair of Clive's Stromberg 97's and even jetted them to my application. He is great to deal with. As for the 9 Super 7's, I have a friend running 6 of them on a Nailhead and loves them, Speedway must have a QC problem for they seem to be hit and miss with quality.