Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone have a good source for metric bushings in the US???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I need a 19mm id bushing to repair a muncie tailshaft shifter bore. 19mm comes out to .748 and the shaft is .746, not perfect but close enough in my opinion, it seems everywhere i look they skip from 18mm t0 20mm. If my lathe was running i woulda already made one myself.

2. McMaster and Carr as a possibility.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I already checked them. It's looking like i might need to call in a favor with a friend

4. oldolds

oldolds

When you press it in it might undresize by that much. You usually have to fit them anyway.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Get your lathe running again.

6. stimpy

stimpy

your supposed to ream to size on them so start under and ream to fit .

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Thats what i was hoping for, but i really doubt aluminum will compress a bronze bushing any, nonetheless i cant find a 19mm, the closest thing i can find is a .750 which is way too big

8. aaggie

aaggie

A used Muncie tail case shouldn't be too hard to find. I have ventilated a few main cases over the years but never seen a reverse hole worn out.

9. terry48435

terry48435

Check with "Grainger"

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It wasnt really worn, the previous owner drove the taper pin out the wrong way and split the boss in half, now it's welded back up but the bore is scarred up from apprently a combo of taking it apart in the 1st place, and pulling the shaft back out after it warped during welding. It's probably still usable but i'd prefer to fix it right because this is for my work and back car, and with the brand new set of m22 gears in it it's going to see a TON of miles before i should ever have to pull it apart again. Now i'm not opposed to getting anouther used tailshaft, except a $2 bushing and an hour of work is gunna be a lot cheaper and i have better things on that car to waste my money on!

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If the bushing does not compress in the housing to hold tight, then it will work its way out

12. i have restored several antique harleys. they use metric bushings in several places. probable due to all the german machinists at that time. i have used a place in oak creek wi. called bearings inc. the number is 414-764-7272 they stock metric bushings.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Unless it swells the housing out which is what i figure it'd do. The closest one i could find was a .750 id, .9375 od and the aluminum boss is somewhere under 1 1/4 or so most of the way down(i'm not in the shop, but i remember it wasnt a lot of meat). I figured i'd go a .002 interference fit, heat the tailshaft as hot as i can in the home oven and chill the bearing. Been there, done that on bushings before

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Pictures would help as I (and maybe others) dont know where this shifter bore shaft is located and the amount of mass surrounding the bushing.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I cant get pictures right now, but it's where the reverse shaft comes out of the case, pretty simple stuff to fix. Ive done a ton of this stuff i just cant find a commertial bushing that is anywhere near the right size, the next smaller one is .708(18mm) so i'll probably go that and ream it to size