Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone ever used a "proline" welding helmet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by punkabilly1306, Aug 1, 2010.

1. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

my helmet got crushed by god knows what and it broke the UV part and now it doesn't work, so I'm in the market for a new one. Has anyone ever used the "Proline" brand?
    bob

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know anything about that one!!-----Been using the "huntsman" since 1951.

3. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I used one for a while but the uv thingy popped out and broke... It was almost as much as a new Miller helmet to replace so I bought a Miller...

The Miller is a much better helmet. Made better, fits better, better settings, and better protection.

Maybe you'll have better luck finding a cheep replacement. Good luck!

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a Jackson man and I don't usually use an "instant on" helmet. If you do a lot of starting and stopping, like when welding sheet metal, you will feel it.

5. ken1939

ken1939

Quite frankly I have a harbor freight special $50.00 auto darkening, has a adjustable dark setting. Has worked well for me for over 4 years.

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

My eyes aren't Harbor Freight material & my helmet won't be either. My sight is way too important to me.
    I have 2- a Miller & a Jackson. I prefer the Jackson.

7. Put me down for having a Miller. Easily the best I've used.

Cosmo

8. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I have a Jackson and it is a great helmet. Hey Rockable, I have noticed when welding on sheetmetal and doing lots of tacks that my eyes feel tired. Anyway, they make a great helmet.

9. F&J

F&J

If your shop is dark, try the helmet first before buying.. Some helmets are too dark before you strike a weld.

How to test? I just bought one last week at the weld supply. I told the guy I want to try it in a dark place. He said we do that in the restroom :)

He held the door open just a bit while I was in there with no light on :D

Can't believe the difference in several I tried.

I also went with the huge lens. He said the lens is called Natural Color??

If you get jammed in a tight spot under the car or dash, you sometimes can't quite move your head a bit more to see out of the small, standard window. The huge lens really helps with that.

it was 275 on sale :eek:..but at least I can see now. I'll look at what brand it is.

10. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

we have 3 jacksons and a miller elite.

For the money the jacksons are preferred. Better head gear too if ya got a big grape like me

11. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I have a Miller Elite Digital. I have a Huntsman at work and a POS HF one also.

The miller is a bit more spendy. But I can actually see out of it better than any helmet I have ever used.

12. hotsilver

hotsilver
    from Florida

Been using Jacksons for years....LOVE them, Afordable, NEVER brake, USA made, put a gold plated lens(or buy auto dark) in it, and start welding... Ive use MANY helmets, and cant weight to put my Jackson back on!!!

RJ

13. got me a Miller with fancy flames on it which I was told will help me weld better and assist my brain in generating more creative ideas. The flames really make the difference...my brain can sense it.

14. uglydog56

uglydog56

There is a lincoln out for about 150 that is supposed to be pretty good bang for the buck.

15. gsport

gsport

i like how light my miller elite is...

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

Miller or Jackson are the best on the market,its your eyes and as far as bragging about a $50 HarborFreight piece of shit, that just ads to the old saying,DEAF,DUMB AND BLIND,

17. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I bought a Miller and am waiting on it to arrive