Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone ever build a Morris Minor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 1, 2015.

1. jalopy45

jalopy45

I've had 3 of them, 2 while still in High school in Canada during the 60's,, the best little driver was the Traveler (woodie wagon) that I swapped in an MGA drivetrain and added the wire wheels, the front suspension is torsion bars so they are easy to lower. The engine is the same in most of the MG's so you can create a pretty fast little car on a low budget.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

My Morris was a little older (and not a Minor). Picture was taken at HoJo's Motel in Memphis during the 2nd NSRA Street Rod Nationals in 1971. Morris Van 2.jpg

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've got one, stock at present. I've done a lot of thinking, though, in the course of which I've got to know the stock design very well, inside and out.

4. This is the car. HRP

020.JPG
    022.JPG
    024.JPG
    021.JPG
    023.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

First thing which jumps out at me is the stainless door window frames, usually only found on the Traveller (the station wagon with the structural wood framing). Four-doors also had stainless frames, but the front doors' were shorter. Two-doors usually had painted frames. The frames bolt on, though, so the ones on there might be due to some overeager restoration at some time in the past.

6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Also: not quite traditional, but I've done a lot of research into swapping in a Subaru EJ flat-4 engine. The historical link there is that Issigonis' original Morris Mosquito prototype was designed around a flat-4, albeit a flathead one, hence the short, wide engine compartment. Let me know if you want to go in that direction and would like the benefit of my researches.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Seems like the Fiat twin cam swap is a bit old hat these days. I read the Zetec Ford or K series MG motor will fit, but a Subaru motor.... now your talking!
    The firewall on a Minor is meant to be structurally really important, which is why it's a good idea to avoid cutting it, unless you want to do the full chassis thing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. What about using a modern front wheel drive train and subframe? BMW Mini S comes to mind pretty quickly!

I realize that this suggestion is very unHAMB-like of me, but now that you've become a s***trodder, this can't be far behind, Danny :D

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow Danny, that thing is really clean! I say snap it up and figure out what to do with it later.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nice solid little car. The shame of it is that in some situations a car like that will sit unwanted and unloved until someone gets sick of looking at it and will have a scrapper haul it away.
    Or it will get donated to some stupid donate your car program for charity.
    The end result is the same, the crusher.

12. I'm on the fence and waiting for a price,cheap enough I'll pull the trigger and stick it in the barn to save it.

It is sitting in a back yard under a open carport and the house has been vacant for several years,I know the owner and just trying to get a price on it. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Looks good Danny,,at leaset you didnt have to build a boat...south and east of you looks very bad on TV

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I had a woody wagon, 1959 as my first car. Pulled the 948cc head and had a valve job done, install a new floor from a alum. card table, redid the wood, and painted it Plum Crazy. I never told people what type of car I own, but said that it was a woody, with a 4 speed, and bucket seats. Learn a lot from that car, and not to trust those involve in the import car repair and parts. Had a good time. The person I sold the car to, crash it the day after I sold it to him, and that was the end to it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I say go "traditional"
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

@falcongeorge that's a nifty little mill, but by no means cheap!

That little iron duke and 4 speed would also be a nice set up and don't fill to much.
    But a mid nintys volvo 945 B230FT with and upgrade turbo and 4+OD volvo will also fit in the hole. And pull those rear wheel around. Or maybe a B230 with double Weber and a good cam. Options are endless.

Just a matter of what the local pic'n'pull has in store that is big inside and small on the outside.

But brakes is important on these things because stock ones suck mig time!!

17. Hey Spiff,
    I doubt that many on the board remember the '71 NSRA much less Howard Johnsons.

Nice sedan delivery by the way.

Alfa Veloce would be more traditional. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    spiffy1937, Ned Ludd and volvobrynk like this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, definitely not. But hey, it would sure make the car! How about a twin-cam alfa and trans? A little more obtainable...

hmmm. Alpha-Minor?? Built in oxy-moron, I kinda like that!

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Yea a BMW 6 would be cool in that one.
    [​IMG]

Or this one

[​IMG]
    Would be as cool as it gets in an Isetta.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

benno, looks like we were thinking of the alfa at the very same minute. That seems to happen a lot!

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Someone has built a Minor van with an Alfasud flat-4:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jiminy and volvobrynk like this.
  22. No we don't often think about alfas at the same time. :rolleyes:

I probably shouldn't say this out loud but if I could land a pre computer Volce drive train in good shape I think I would change direction on the build on my sedan. They were sure a good sounding motor and a lot of fun to drive. Although I do like the lotus Europa and the Elan motors real well too. Almost bought a Lotus Elan once, the yearly insurance was going to run the same as the price of the car (almost). :eek:

Now Ned that is an interesting setup. I know we are off base but some of us can sure appreciate things a little on the exotic side once in a while.

23. Given the short engine compartment, a 60 degree V6 seems a great choice. Something easy to get parts for like the 2.8/3.1 GM V6 with a 5 speed trans would be a slick set-up. Should avoid the suspension swap and frame issues. Add disc brakes and lower it all around. Once running and driving, then chop about 4 inches out of the top. Cool little custom.

Although it seems a 90 degree V6 could also fit, for example the 4.3 Chevy V6. Or something newer like some of the later model stuff, although then you get into more electronics with fuel injection.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thank God we got away from the Isetta talk :D

25. Well :eek: :D Everyone likes a motor cycle with a body don't they?

Actually George and I kind if took us down the rabbit hole. I'd apologize but, well hell, I'm mad as a hatter. :confused:o_O:D

Well that and it was a nice escape and hopefully not too offensive. I wonder if we had a big enough shoe horn if we could shove a 392 in one. An SBC should go just fine and like has been mentioned a V-6 should almost fall in.

26. That is great! Fits like a glove. Wonder what gearbox he used?
    They did a four cam version of these motors too, but looking at the fitment there, I doubt it would go in.
    I've a suspicion that most of the motor suggestions I see here won't actually fit a Minor engine bay, seeing just how snug that Alfa motor is in there.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Honestly, no way in hell would I do a v-6. Too wishy-washy. I'd either stick with the original I-4 concept, or go straight to a small block.
    I remember YEARS ago a friend of mine built a '70s Toyota corolla with a buick V-6 (this was WAY pre-T type/GN), I told him the same thing then. "Go big or go home, you will be disappointed with the finished product". It was a beautifully built little car, tubbed before there were many tubbed street cars around, and the workmanship was very clean, but about six months after it was finished, he told me "you were so right, I should have listened". It just wasn't "enough".

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. I'm so old school I have never heard of some of these engines you guys are talking about,here in the Sunny South some sound a little exotic.

I still like the idea of a 4 cylinder like the old chevy iron duke. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. falcongeorge likes this.
  30. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

My first car was a morry minor, and I've also had a Mini which uses the same engine turned sideways.
    Even the stock A series motor, especially in 1275 form, can be made to produce some respectable power.
    A hot trick back in the 70's was to replace the motor with a Datsun 1200 engine which was basically a copy of the Morris engine, but with some worthwhile improvements.
    The front suspension on theses cars is torsion bars which are easily wound down to give a lowered stance. Major weak point is the rear leaf spring mounts onto the floorpan and can rot out, as I discovered when my axle fell off the car after I jacked it up to check out a vibration!
    My current "Mack C Cab" project is using a 1275 A series motor in sideways (Austin Mini) configuration.