Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone ever build a Morris Minor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 1, 2015.

1. "I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes, for I knew there would be a time, when I would make a brand new Morris mine".:D

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Don, are you trying to say he should run "a mighty fine" 409 in a Morris minor? Lol

But 4 speed, dual quad and posi behind a 409 doesn't sound bad! Not bad at all!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That thing is amazing ! It's hard to believe it used to be a little Moggie Minor . I wonder if my brother would want to do something like that to his ... Damn right he would , lol !

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

5. billmac

billmac

this woody was parked 2 doors down from me 20150809_075345.jpg at the port orchard cruz small blockchev real nice install

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've been thinking this since it was posted, just gonna come out and say it, I know I'll get flamed, but is it just me, or does this car look distinctly toad-like?? Low, short coupled, squatty rounded shape, large haunches, big bulging eyes??:eek::p
    No value judgement, toad can be good....right? Right?

7. Yeah,but isn't that part of what makes cars like this so darn cool. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Glenn S

Glenn S

To me the top on that convertible looks too "frumpy". Like too heavy and bulky around the seams. Would look good without the top though! (for a Morrie!)

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I kind of like the look of the convertible, reminds me of a 46-48 Chevy but better proportions in my mind.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

well, yes, I mean they start out a bit "toady" chop and drop, and well, you get the picture!:D

And Morris Minors are kind of a bit "Wind in the Willows" anyway, so...

11. There is no doubt that these lil' cars have been a popular car both here in the States and abroad.

I'm afraid before it's said and done and if the price is right I'm gonna have to have it in the barn,if I don't do anything with it at least I will save it for someone else in the future. HRP

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Steve Kirk art.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. This is so weird, but I cant help but LOVE IT! Minor on old school steroids. minor1.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

you know, right after I bought my '39 convert, I had a shot at a decent "built back when" Austin A-40 with a 327 in it for around $3500. I really went back and forth on that one for a while, in the end I didn't pull the trigger, but I STILL think about it sometimes.
    Then again, at some point you really have to ask yourself how many project cars you can have. Six months later, one of my all time top-five bucket list cars (factory 4 speed '65 falcon futura) turned up locally, and I pulled the trigger on it. If I had already bought the Austin, I would have HAD to sell something else just to make room, and maybe that would have made me hesitate, and I would have missed the Falcon...
    If you have limitless space, well, that's another matter.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I love it! We both must have a thing about red haired step children.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. I think both of us would make ideal poster children for odd ball cars anonymous! HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Bought my first Moggie at 15 in 1967. It was a 57 1000 Tourer (convertible) that cost me the princely sum of $ 50.00. Two more 61 Saloon 2 door Minors followed; one for parts and the other I built for my sister. Both were relatively stock and gave us good service. I wound up trading the 57 for a 62 SS Impala 327, 4 speed, so I suppose I made out okay. Wish I still had the Impala. The Morrises, not so much.

18. The popular engine swap for these in the UK used to be the Lampredi designed Fiat twin cam 2 litre, mainly because it´s a short block and you could get it to bolt in without cutting out the firewall/building a new chassis. You can get 200hp out of them too. Probably more with forced induction. Might be hard to find over there though.

Ned Ludd and volvobrynk like this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres the one I mentioned from PHR earlier. Toploader, 4.56s, a SW cable tach, and 11.40s@119. Swap the front centerlines for some Cragar SS's, and I would drive the hell outta this thing.

IMG_20151003_0002.jpg

Phillips and volvobrynk like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've never been compelled to go back for a second look at a Morris Minor.........
    Until this one came along, it's just so cool.

21. Would love to see a Minor done with a fleetline/fastback roof!

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Some 35 years or so ago, there was a Morris Minor drag car that frequented Bremerton Raceway. In fact, it was a "poster car" for our Bremerton Raceway schedule one year. It was white, SBC, I believe it had stack fuel injection, manual transmission, and they balled it up at the track one day. Roll cage did it's job, but the car was a total loss. I am Butchy/56sedandelivery.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. 38 Hump

38 Hump

In 1964 I traded a guy 2 shotguns and he gave me $10 and a '59 Morris 1000 convertible. My dad and I restored it including rebuilding the engine. We used it in my High School homecoming parade for the queen. I had to sell it when I went to college. Still wish I had it to this day.

24. Not to say this is what you'd be interested in but I was building a Nash Metropolitan and was installing an Iron Duke 4 banger with a Powerglide. I'm now building a Bugeyed Sprite with a 289 so I don't need the Iron Duke and trans. I also have the original 4 banger and trans from the Sprite if you're looking to go stock.

BloodyKnuckles

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpg Here is a pic from the "Iron Invasion" this weekend.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. The iron duke sounds like the right thing for a simple build. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. I'd be more than happy to oblige. It's small, durable and powerful. Heavily supported aftermarket. SBC bellhousing bolt pattern.

BloodyKnuckles

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. If I can work out a deal & pull the trigger I'll get with you. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I know a fellow that has a midget powered by a hilborn injected Z-tec. That would be cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Sounds good man. Good luck!

BloodyKnuckles