Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have this problem with Fram Oil filters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Tudor, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Fram HQ's is in (Pawtucket) R.I., where I grew up. They "Used" to be a good replacement filter.
    I wasn't aware (Until a few years ago) that they weren't made "In house" anymore. That was until a friend of mine told me, "At night a train would pull up behind the building and unload filters instead of loading filters".
    Gee... What's next, American cars being made in foreign countries? (Duh, too late!)

2. ^ ^ ^ Ha Ha Ha!!! ^ ^ ^

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may have been mentioned earlier but the info I got about 20 years ago was that the front office boys at Fram decided that it was better and more profitable to put the money in advertising the product heavily rather than putting it in the product.

It's a bit amazing that the brand that has very little advertising has quietly produced a respected product year after year and is often what you see heavy truck and equipment operators request and use =WIX.

4. No, foreign cars being made in America. :D

The whole many marks on the same assembly line thing has been going on most of our lives. Brand consciousness is really a thing of the past when you stop and think about it.

5. RPL

RPL

Everyone is quick to jump on Fram filters, which is well earned by the way. But stop for a moment and ask yourself why they would trash their long earned positive reputation.

Who is their number one customer? WalMart. And what does WalMart pride itself on? Lower prices. If Fram is guilty, its to giving in to their number one customer.

6. Look at what you made me do mentality.

Its your fault I fucked up

Walmart made me do it

7. yep a good friend of mine a gm mechanic has been talken crap about them. and today changen my oil on my work truck the seal stuck to the block first time for me that the last one i will ever buy.

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Motorcraft on my Ford and AC Delco on the Chevy.

9. oakhill

oakhill

Wow, this opens my eyes, I've used Fram for years ---- no more.

10. olds vroom

olds vroom

I stopped using drams crap years ago when I had an oil filter o ring blow out and nearly cost me an engine.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yep, I've used Wix and Napa Gold filters on many a generator engine, including those with 2000+ HP Caterpillar engines and 16V2000 MTUs, never once had a problem. Wix is good stuff.

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

As far as I know, neither Ford or GM have filter plants. They buy their filters from other manufacturers. Most likely the lowest bidder! You might be buying a filter made by the same factory that makes Fram filters.

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

notice the guy who worked for fram disappeared? I wonder if he knows it's pretty universal among anyone who works on their own stuff that these filters are junk, it's pretty much the same on every car board, and a number of studies where they have taken the things apart

14. Im glad this thread came back up,,I was at NAPA a couple days ago getting a roll of wire & happened to ask the older gent behind the counter about fram filters.
    He told me he cut a new one open a few months ago & just laughed.He said his grandson builds odd wood toys with a glue gun that looked better than the inside of a fram.
    Fram-No-More---gotta Wix for my truck right then.

15. My 04 GMC Sierra w/a 5.3 just turned to 60K & I just got around to utilizing the Wix filter.
    Ive kept the oil service up on a regular basis,always using Valv 5W-30 Durablend & a,ahem, fram filter.
    It always seemed to have very minor clicking/tapping noises from time to time,nothing to get concerned about really.I talked to a few guys still in the trade & they said it was normal on some of those engines,,,I bought it & accepted it.
    2 weeks ago,I changed the oil with the Valv 5-30 mentioned above,pre-filled the Wix & screwed it on.
    This truck sounds like its gotta completley different engine in it...unfkng-believable.
    It has absolutley NO noise whatsoever,,none. Oil pressure is the same,but its so fkn quiet I still cant believe it.I just ran it hard on a 600 mile trip & it's still quiet as hell..no noises *period*.
    I wont EVER put a fram on any of my cars again even if they were given to me,& I was paid to use em.
    I look at all these NASCAR taxicabs & most are running Wix/NAPA filters.
    If those things can scream for 500 miles,then my truck should live a long healthy life as well---fk fram oil filters.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I laugh when I see those Fram commercials where they show how their filters stand up to high pressure. Too bad their engineering department isn't as good as their marketing department. :rolleyes: I have seen a Fram cut apart and they are really cheaply made with cardboard and glue.

Don

17. Scumdog

Scumdog

Any of you guys (particularly Aussies and Kiwis) using RYCO oil filters??

18. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

here's what happened when I did a test run with a flathead on the garage floor. The filter came apart at the seam and made a big mess....get some rags, and some beer.

Attached Files:

19. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Now that you mention it, my wife's Tahoe used to sound like someone was tap dancing under the hood on start up. It seemed like it would take a few seconds for it to quiet down. I changed to an STP filter (I know, not as good as some of the others), and there is not the same noise on start up. I never thought about it until now. It is also physically bigger than the Fram too.

20. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  21. I never had a problem with Fram either and still don't!

I gotta laugh...... With todays "sue happy" society, imagine if Fram actually was as bad as some people claim they are. Lawyers and the public would be lined up, like shoppers waiting for WalMart's doors to open on black Friday, making class-action lawsuits.

Well guys, where are those lawsuits??? Hmmm... Maybe they really are not as bad as some claim, or like many other things, consumer mistake/inexperience!

22. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I've read many complaints, and watched several videos explaining why Fram filters are inferior. Fram filters have been on my "Do Not Buy" list for a long time. MAYBE they aren't as bad as some claim, but I refuse to take a chance. Why would I choose to save a couple of bucks on a questionable oil filter, to install on an engine worth several thousand dollars, and hope that it will be OK??? I can spend a bit more for a Wix, or NAPA Gold, and have the peace of mind that I'm installing a proven good quality filter to protect my engine. I've read/seen enough proof to stay away from Fram.:(

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fram is an entity of a multi-billion-dollar international corporation.

I am one guy, $65,000 in debt.

Lawsuits cost money, lots of money. If you lose, you can be forced to pay the winners expenses.

Who do you think can buy the better lawyer, me, or Fram?

24. Hmmm.....

About a 1/4 of a million dollar engine with a Fram......

[​IMG]

25. Did you receive a settlement check from the class-action suit involving EvilBay??? Most people did and it didn't cost them a cent for a lawyer. The lawyers found you!

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, was not using it during the eligibility period.

Apples to doughnuts.

Fram is not a service that you subscribe to, that keeps accurate transaction records of every business function involving customers.

All they would need to do is create what is called a "reasonable doubt" that Fram was at-fault, and I'd be on-the-hook for their legal costs.

The legal system is does not work as smoothly and as easily as you think, or I'd not be $65k in debt.

I am not a racer, with virtually unlimited sponsorship money, and no responsibility or liability but to show up, and drive.

In any case, it does not matter. Neither does this discussion. Let's get back to building cars.

27. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I had one do that! My guess as to why there are no lawsuits is when they fail its usually a rare occurence. But I wont use another fram! :rolleyes:

28. refried confusion

refried confusion

,nbn

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  29. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Have used Fram filters for 40 years.....Lately, I have been hearing about oil pressure problems because of Fram filters. The pressure on my 350 has always been on the low side (60 on start up, 40-45 when hot, goes down to 10-15 at idle in gear)...I decided to try a Wix filter....not a bit of difference that I noticed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.