Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have this problem with Fram Oil filters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Tudor, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Well, this one seems to say "Made in CANADA" - in three languages.

[​IMG]

So who do I believe?

B.

2. Oh Snap!:eek:

3. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Ha!

4. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

:rolleyes: Really? I guess China and Israel are part of the U.S.A. now..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Deuces

Deuces

I believe fram used to supply the Chrysler Corp. (I could be wrong) with their oil filters back in the 60's or 70's.... So, what happened with that deal???...
    Did it get dropped because of bad quality control during manufacturing???.....

6. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

[​IMG]

MotorKing is not very becoming if you're representing the company you work for in an official capacity. Now Jay Buckley as your screen name would be professional.

I too have not used a Fram oil filter in over a decade. The last time I did was after the introduction of the 'line' of oil filters was introduced. The original orange filters became very dainty, easily crushed by finger pressure when installing, is that why there is now tar shingle material on the end of the filter? So no one crushes the filter on install?
    The grey Tough Guards felt more like the previous orange filters, but were now a premium.
    And then there was(is?) the teflon filter Double Guard is it? That boggles me, how is that supposed to work? IIRC Teflon(PTFE) does not melt/flow below ~500*F. So what is that supposed to accomplish? Hard bits of plastic flowing through my oil system? No Thanks. I know during that time frame all those silly Teflon additive commercials were coming out, Slick 50, Pro Long, Dura Lube, blah blah blah. Was Fram just hopping on that teflon band wagon?

Simply, I no longer trusted what a Fram oil filter was. It was not what it used to be and appeared to have been cheapened. I understand that cellulose can be used in many products, I think there are some missiles made of the stuff, but when I tore into a Fram filter and found what appeared to be a piece of cardboard used as part of the checkvalve and internal support for the filter media, it was no longer acceptable for use in my vehicles.

When the Air Hog filters came out I gave it a try. Yet I was greatly disappointed at the inconsistency of the weave. There were holes in the media, holes.

Still use Fram air filters, PCV valve, crankcase filters, and fuel filters, but if these products become questionable in the future I will stop using them.
    IIRC Wagner or Bendix owned Fram til the mid 80s but was then they were bought out by AS.

7. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

never used them never will use em thats about it,in all my engines i use top qualty products,and fram is not one off them cheers

8. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

You obviously didnt watch the videos. They are NOT marketing. I am the training manager and they are exactly that, technical training. I am a mechanic, not a marketing guy. Funny, all this rumor and bs, yet 7 of the winners in the engine masters challenge this year running FRAM, amazing stupidity from people who build the most powerful engines in the world.

9. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

FRAM is owned by the Rank Group, a privately held company and has been since July 2011

10. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

These are sourced products, all oil filters are made in the USA. We closed our Canadian plant and consolidated production in Ohio. We are also the ONLY oil filter company installing cartridge oil filter production lines. Most new cars are coming with cartridge filters. WIX, Purolator and many others including FRAM currently source these filters from korea. FRAM made the investment to bring this production to the USA.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I watched, if you think that video is anything but marketing you are delusional.

Rumor and bs, so you're calling us liars. That's fine, I think you're full of shit.

And you are nothing more than an attempt at damage control.

12. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

We are OE on Honda, GM, Subaru and Mack Trucks and John Deere Tractors. How can you use quality and Chrysler in the same sentence? Your in Michigan? Want to stop at my training center in Clawson for a visit? i will change your mind pretty easily if your interested in learning.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Great PR, talk shit about Chrysler. I think they should see an official Fram rep talking smack about them. Not very professional.

14. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

Not "the official FRAM rep", just a hot rodder who loves cars and happens to work at FRAM trying to educate. This thread started because a guy was haveing a problem. I offered help, that all. Been called names, had obcenities directed my way.
    WIX and now Purolators enitre marketing campaign for the last 25 years has been to "slam FRAM". They never talk about capacity, efficiency or any science, just slam the fram and watch them drink the kool aid.

15. gasser john

gasser john

now that we all had time to vent and blame the oil filter, did we check the oil presser and see if the by-pass could be stuck, or shimmed too much to increase pressure or the spring streched. i have seen a wix blow off a bbc at 90 psi, they arent designed for that much pressure. the engine had a bad bypass plunger in the oil pump.i do run napa gold and will heed the warning on the fram stuff, but i would look for the real issue before assuming its the filter. jmo

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well you did no intro. All your posts seem to be damage control for Fram or Autolite. You haven't done anything to actually contribute to the HAMB in 3 years. You represent yourself to us as an expert, but it's obvious where your allegiance lies. Hmmm. You sure do come off as someone sent here to try and quell the storm.

17. jack orchard

jack orchard

i realize this is an old post, but anyone who has to pay $18 for an oil filter might want to consider buying a few filters at a time over the internet. just a thought...jack

18. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
    You are asking people to deny what they have seen with their own eyes. Their own personal experiences. Their own losses.
    To these people, those are the facts.

It wouldn't surprise me if Fram wasn't a sponsor of that engine build, and placed Fram filters on those engines when they were filled with Amsoil oil.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Used Fram for last 35 years. Never one problem. Just sayin

20. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

MotorKing:

I pulled that filter off the shelf at the local PepBoys within the last month.

So when did operations move back to the USA? No longer honeywell?

B.

21. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Honeywell sold Fram/Autolite/Prestone and Holts back in the summer to the Rank Group out of New Zealand. Announced closure of 2 of the three Fram plants in North America 8 days later - one in Canada and 1 in Utah. The plant left open had the poorest quality of all the plants but was cheapest cost - go figure. Going forward you won't see a Fram filter on any of my vehicle anymore !!!

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

cut open a fram filter and a wix and compare. fram=junk

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Never had a problem with Fram, but several years ago, I read about bogus "Brand names" being sold as the "real deal"; Fram oil filters were cited as one example. No way to ever know just how extensive this problem is!

4TTRUK

24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Turdmagnet,..... Thanks for the info !!!

4TTRUK

25. biscaynes

biscaynes

don't recall ever seeing wix slam fram, never mind their "ENTIRE" marketing campaign slamming them.

26. dB Zac

dB Zac

I have sold parts for a long time and I have seen this one other time and it was also a Fram! The guy was getting on it threw an intersection in his 54 Chevy and BOOM, the filter and a s$%t ton of oil came out of that engine is a split sec.
    That being said, I have seen batches of every brand of filter I have ever sold (Fram, Hastings, Mopar, Wix) come in with poor threads from time to time. I think some times the thread tap's on the line dont get inspected properly. Just always inspect your filter threads before using. The threads may look fine but if they have a real "flat" edge instead of a good point they may be shallow)
    I my self would never run a oild filter like fram that uses cardboard end caps and sheet metal check valve springs when others like wix and hastings are still using real coil springs and metal end caps

27. Muttley

Muttley

A few of the above posts have tripped the meter.

[​IMG]

28. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

I had a Fram oil filter on my 2005 f150... less than 1000 miles after the change, motor locked up... had it towed to the stealership and once they tore into it, they said that a piece of the filter had come apart, clogged a line, cut off my oil flow, and locked up my engine... at 39,000 miles, w/documented maintenance along the way... $3400 later, Ford agreed to pay 2/3 of it, but I won't use a Fram anything on any of my vehicles

29. you got mail.

30. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are wrong again. I watched all of them. They are marketing videos. It doesn't matter what your title is, you are marketing for Fram. Or shilling, or whatever you prefer to call it. If your job was really "training" you wouldn't be posting on here, because none of us need Fram corporate training. The fact that you post here defending Fram means you are in marketing. Everyone else here understands that, why not you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.