Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have this problem with Fram Oil filters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Tudor, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I bought a case of Wix filters from Rockauto. Even with shipping they only cost about $6.00 per each. The bonus is that they show up on my porch and I don't have to deal with the numbskulls at the big parts stores.

2. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

WalMart contracted with Fram for a huge order, and required Fram to deliver for their price/specs. It's called an Apple Contract, except Apple requires quality, and WalMart doesn't. Owning shelves on stores means nothing.

I never had a problem with Fram, either. Racing a '66 Cooper 1275S, and I saw a lot of engine failures due to Fram on other cars, so I stopped using them. I will never have a problem with Fram because I won't use them, period.

3. tjmercury

tjmercury

The only thing they are good for is target practice!

4. Gator

Gator

You must be buying them out the back door if yer getting them for that - Wix 51515 (Ford app) retails for $6 and change.

Sorry but I call BS.

5. I agree with Gator! If you can get me a case for 20 bucks I'll take 4 cases and oh yea for a small block Chevy circa 1968...

6. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Damn. But the others sooo clash with Chevy orange.

7. metalix_421

metalix_421

wont run them AT ALL dont care what its on

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's this for perverse. When I was a kid, all the racers at the local dirt track ran Fram filters. You could see those orange pieces of shit on just about every car there. When I built my current nostalgia (circa 1965), in the early 90's, I added a dual remote oil filter setup to the hemi in it. I wanted to look cool, so I painted my NAPA Gold filters orange so I'd look cool, just like back in the old days.:rolleyes:

9. Just picked up a NAPA Gold filter today, now all I have to do is get the Fram off! :eek: Thanks again for the heads up everyone, I've got to much time and $$$ invested to have a cheap filter take me out. The funny part is the NAPA Gold was $ 6.40 and I see O'Riellys is selling Frams for $ 4.50.
    Only a lousey $ 1.90 for insurance and peace of mind.

10. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Been running them on my motor for 3 years............:D To much he did this that guy did that lol...............

Attached Files:

11. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

the only 2 things the machine shop told me when i picked up my motor was #1 dont use fram filters #2 remember #1

12. yardgoat

yardgoat

Ive got 4 or 6 PH8A,s any buyer,s.New in the box or you can buy the Fram box ,your choice? HAHA.....................YG

13. Crap Fram filters, $4.99 each.
    Just bought 3 Wix filters from Summit, total price including shipping, right at (just under) 20 bucks.
    Roughly $6.50 each.

Peace of mind protecting my engine, and not making an oily mess out of the garage floor?

Priceless.

14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Anyone looked at/use Hastings filters?

I've been using Hastings filters for a couple of decades. If I can't get them, I'll go to Wix. Was told by an Amsoil guy, same co made Hastings, Wix, Amsoil. Haven't checked lately on quality comparisons 'twixt the three, 'spose it's time. Usually buy a case at a time, get 10-15% discount. Never had a problem w/them.

Quit using Fram anything in the early 80's.

Marcus...

15. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

Thats one thing my pop taught me 35 years ago........never use Fram filters boy......we use Wix around here.......course he use to be a Penzoil guy but i will forgive him for that. Heck i buy carquest blue filters that are also Wix filters and i get them for every piece of equipment i service at work.

Rod

16. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I found a good use for Frams. The parts store had this deal that if you bought a Fram then you got your oil and the fram for 20 bucks. So not only did I get a discount on some oil, I got a piece of orange sheet metal to add weight to the 'ol scrap pile.

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

I used Fram oilfilters untill my buddy who builds engines told me to never put one on a engine again, and replace the one that was on it right away.

I trust his experience, so thats what I did...

I switched to K&N oilfilters.

Any word on the quality of those?

18. One Finger John

One Finger John

bobistheoilguy.com

19. Speed~On

Speed~On

Question for you guys. I am currently doing some re-plumbing on my fuel system. (obviously Fram filters in general suck so the hell if I'm using one of those)

I was thinking of using a Mallory canister style Fuel Filter. I would plumb a 3/8" steel line into the canister, then out the other side, which would then run to the fuel pump.

How is Mallory?

Thanks!!

20. If you are putting a fuel filter on that flatty in your avatar, why not go Edmunds?

21. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

Hi,
    I am the technical training manager at FRAM. I am very interested in what happened to your car. Can you email me so I can investigate? [email protected]

22. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

FRAM is 100% made in the USA, in Greenville, Ohio. Why not learn about filtration instead of internet crap. Fram only uses Nitrile rubber and Silicone rubber antidrainback valves. Watch and learn of you really want to know the truth.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecpkvsnKKNg

23. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

24. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

watch and learn the truth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cttLaWepdL0&feature=relmfu

25. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why should Fram in-house marketing videos be considered "the truth" by so many people who have had bad experiences with your filters. Post some verified independent tests if you want to have a voice.

26. Your posts would mean something if you had been a participating member of the board these last 3 years and not just posting as damage control.

I agree ^^^^^^^^^. But you know what? The damage is done, myself and many others will never buy another Fram anyway. I am 100% happy with the Wix filters I have been using the last few years.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had 2 Fram filters blow off (lost one engine, the other had a low oil pressure ignition cutoff). Three of my customers have had Fram filters blow off, for three lost engines. I have had ZERO filters of other brands blow off, none of my customers have reported any other brand of filters blowing off.

This is enough data for me. The damage is done. Drive on. Nothing more to see here.

Fram lost my business a long time ago, and they are NEVER going to get it back.

Want my business? Fork over $12,000 to replace the engines destroyed by your filters failing, and then we can talk.

The acceptable number of oil filter failures is exactly ZERO. If you have even one single reported failure of a filter, then you have failed as a company. Lock the doors, and turn out the lights.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  28. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

On my daily driver I had a fram filter bust. Was a pain in the ass to get what was left of it off... Pure JUNK!

29. "FRAM is 100% made in the USA, in Greenville, Ohio. Why not learn about filtration instead of internet crap. Fram only uses Nitrile rubber and Silicone rubber antidrainback valves. Watch and learn of you really want to know the truth."

Hmm,,I recentley watched an episode of "How It's Made" on the Discovery Channel.
    FRAM oil filters was one of the subjects & they were being made in CANADA.

Nothing wrong with Canada,,just sayin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.