Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody familiar with green slime to fix a leaking tire?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Bad Dad, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

My Wife's OT daily has a tire leaking down. I have submersed the tire/wheel in water and soapy water, and am completely unable to locate a leak. A buddy told me to buy a product called Green Slime, which is kind of a "fix a flat" product. He swears it will seal any leaking tire! Anybody else here ever use it?
    Thanks

2. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Used it plenty of times, not a permanent fix. I have even used it on an Air Bag...

3. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

use it in the 4MPH lawn mower tires works fine

4. Makes a mess inside your wheels and lasts a year. Your tire store will hate you.

5. trollst

trollst

I chased a slow leak for four years on my wifes dd, spray dish washer soap around the valve stem and wait patiently, it'll be there. Green slime? The tire shop will call you names......

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

No on the slime.

7. The_Stig

The_Stig

I used a sheetmetal screw with generous amounts of rubber cement in the wound. It still holds, after nearly 2 years.
    The slime is quite messy, when it's time to remove the tire from the wheel. All that stuff's good for is to make tire mechanics laugh at all the dirty jokes you can think of when they get confronted with the goop :eek:

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

Don't use green slime it makes a mess inside the tire and the rim. Check the valve stem, if running old rims the tires may not be sealing right. Have a good tire store check the tire and rim. Good luck..........

CRUISER :cool:

9. My two cents , just take it the tire shop to repair if you can't locate the leak. In my experience tire shops charge extra if you have used a fix flat or slime product.

10. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Love to fix it. Can't find it! :mad: I just went to the slime website, and it ain't sounding like something I want to use with Aluminum Alloy wheels anyway. :(

11. If you can't find the leak have you tried putting in a new valve and resealling the bead with bead sealer? Sometimes bead leaks are hard to find. It's almost like they can leak intermittently

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Don't do it. I used to change tires at a gas station and we loved to crack jokes about the idiots who had that crap in a tire. Then we'd tack $5 to the repair. Payed for lunch.

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

Aluminum alloy wheels can link, check the rim for leaks too. If, the rim leaks it can be tig welded.

CRUISER :cool:

14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Most tire shops around here will not fix any tire with Green Slime in it.
    Can't say I blame them.

Conventional tire repair route is best.

If it is a Aluminium Alloy rim.... I bet 3 areas
    1. Valve stem
    2. Usual slice or nail
    3. Most common - the rim bead where the tire seats to the rim is oxidized and suggest taking a grinder with wire wheel and remove the oxidation crusties.

15. I owned a tire store for a long time and I can tell you first hand that we hated that crap but it does work short term. Lots of 4 wheeler guys use it.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use it all of the time. It is NOT the same as the Fix-a-flat crap in the can. My tire guys are happy to have my business, and don't complain, 'cause they're not jerks.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Or do they wait for you to leave?;):D

18. my old man swears by that stuff.

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alloy wheels? There's your problem. I have an O/T Dodge Stratus with alloys. No matter what I do, when I get back to Florida after 6 months, the right front is always flat. I've tried to fix it but can't. The local tire guy finally gave up. We figure it's probably a porous rim. After this and other problems over the years, nothing but steel wheels for me (at least on DD's).

20. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

My wife's dd with alloy wheels leaked like crazy to and I never could find it! I just bought steel wheels and hubcaps from a similar model(same make) and have been happy since. Live with constantly checking it until its time for new tires, and then "upgrade" to steelies!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. I used Green Slime in my DD when tire shops couldn't find any leak but the tire kept going down. Slime stopped the leak instantly. Some years later, I had the tire replaced and expected to see a mess inside the tire. There wasn't any. Green Slime wasn't gooey like most other leak stopper products. I'd recommend it to anyone.

22. austinhunt

austinhunt

It is wonderful when using a tube.

Use a plug on tubeless.

If its in the side wall..... get a new tire, and slime won't work there anyway.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Never thought about using Green Slime in a tube. Good idea! Been avoiding tube type tires for years since what is often just a slow leak puncture tubeless is a quick flat with the same puncture on a tube.

24. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

Put it in one of the fronts on my backhoe, worked. Probably would take 5 gallons for a rear, 16.9 x 28s. Tractor supply sells it so I'm not the only one using it. Top speed's about 20MPH so no worries. Joe H

25. And destroys the inside of the tire..put the spare on & go get the tire fixed...

I hated that shit when I was slinging tires....

26. Just saw its alloy rims....99% of the time the leak will be oxidized paint/lacquer finish with the air working its way slowly through...

27. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Take the tire to a GOOD tire place, have them remove the tire, clean the bead area of the rim and tire, remove the valve stem and wire brush tho hole real good, apply sealer to the new stem and bead and reassemble. Gary

28. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

If you put it in there "do not smoke or have open flames" close. My buddy burnt off all his hair installing this stuff while smokeing

29. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I run it in my dirt bike. Seals cactus punctures all day long.