Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Any uses for metal bedframes in the garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Dec 20, 2009.

1. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I have never had a problem welding or drilling old bed rails. I have made BBQ out of them and smokers. And engine dolly's. As with all matels you have to drill at a slow speed. And I weld them with a 6011 rod

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

Alot of old bed frames have more carbon in them then regular angle, thats way they dull bit's and mess up saw blades. It will flex and return to shape. The only use's I found for it is battery box's and it welds best with an old stick welder. Probally alot more use's though as stated such as cart's. It's free, but harder to work with. I was told used furniture stores will pay 25 dollars for them complete?

3. Don't use them for any welding projects!There're kinda half ass spring steel and will crack at your weld.If you look at the end brackets you'll see the factory rivits them on.Angle iron isn't worth that much any ways so why bother!

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I must have some tough ones if they keep my fat ass off the ground everynight.

5. swimeasy

swimeasy

I think that I will keep an eye out for one and then add a box spring and matress and put it in the corner of my shop then, the next time I get the boot, I won't have to go very far!

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Bed rails are like spring steel and shouldn't be used for any structural automotive stuff or chassis bracketry ever. Medium duty shelving supports etc. would be fine.

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I had a "newer" (probably mid 90s stuff) bed frame that I used as braces and such. Cutting and drilling sucked. Then one day I needed a short 2" long angle bent at about 80 degrees instead of 90. I clamped a piece of bed rail in my vice and gave it a whack with the hammer and it BROKE!. I don't even keep the stuff around anymore, the quality is just too inconsistant. Gene

8. I've used them on stock cars for non-structural details like battery boxes, fender supports, radiator mounting, etc. It always had welded well enough for my use.

Bob

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Excellent for structural, after all that's what they are...... Do a rockwell if you doubt the tensile strength. Weld with OA, difficult to drill holes in it, dulls a normal drill bit quickly.

10. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

bed frames are bad ass! people throw away good frames! good peices to make carts, stands , shelves. jigs. etc. and sometimes u get good wheels!

11. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Used to hoard them to use for support rails up the sides of the floorpans on Volkswagon dune buggies!
    jim

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Most of the old track, which is good wrought steel , is used for bed springs, never heard of it being used for bed rails ?

A customer I deal with sold 1,200 tons, (yes 1,200 tons) of old rail to China when scrap was like $14.50 a hundred.

I was smarter, I held on to my scrap waiting for the price to go even higher. Shows you how smart I am, still sitting on like 6 tons.:(

13. I found some up in the garage rafters of an old frame house I was renting, no telling how old they were. Worked fine for my oxy/acetelyne cart.

14. budd

budd

i use them all the time, at the local dump they have whats called a free store, if you have something you think someone else could use you put it in the free store, i have picked up all kinds of steel, bed frames, all kinds of exercise equipment, i found a powered hospital bed complete with 3 motors, one is going to be the power for my bead roller. i know i have picked up lots of neet stuff from craigs list as well.

15. chevy3755

chevy3755

when i was startin out.........i used them to make a cart for my acet. and oxygen tanks.......nice upper curve to them when welded together.......

16. freak dude

freak dude

The rail ends make good tail light mounts.

17. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

The make a good frame for a bed too.