Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-bag 49-52 Chevy thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

First off.... Nothing against air suspension but on my 51 I'm running an all stock suspension and running gear and wanting to see some superlow cars on stock stuff. Pics and descriptions appreciated. Working on my notch as we speak and just need some inspiration . And by " low" I'm mean grapevine low. Let's keep this tread traditional.... No M2 or frame swaps.

JalopyJimbo and Dyno Dave like this.
  2. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

ImageUploadedByTJJ1321373246.578917.jpg mine.. Tryin to get her ready for roundup. Front is ride height . Back will be a bit lower than pictured. Excuse the clutter in my shop.

3. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

looks good matt.

4. burger

burger

Badass. Have any more pictures? What did you do to the suspension? Any sheetmetal work to the tunnel?

5. Lucky444

Lucky444

That's low! Looks great.

How about a description on your suspension. Drop spindles? Springs? How close to the ground is the lowest part of the car?

Here's mine that's all stock sus too. Coil and a half cut out of the front springs and 3 inch lowering blocks out back. Would love to get a little lower as well.

Attached Files:

OzMerc39 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I'm currently doing a very mild notch and then some tunnel work. I'm using a rod and custom issue for reference on the rear. Jimmy at circle city did a 49 this way. You can search google search"rod and custom 49 Chevy c- notch" and that's how I'm doing the sheet metal work. It is a very cool tech article.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

ImageUploadedByTJJ1321375695.290791.jpg circle city hot rods did this one... My favorite car ever! All stock suspension.

8. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

I just have drop blocks in the rear. I don't think I'd cut this one up since I like keeping most of the originality of the car. I have a '51 deluxe out back that if it doesn't sell, I'll probably start seeing how low I can take it. Only thing is the streets here suck so an airbag system would be necessary. =/

Attached Files:

OzMerc39, chryslerfan55 and lowroder like this.
  9. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Front no drop spindles, modified steering arms, stepped lower a arms, 2 coils cut,modified spring cups for additional travel.rear dearched leaves 2 in and removed two leafs with 4 in blocks. Also going to build a custom skid plate for the fuel tank. Overall you cant slide a beer can under the rocker right side up.rocker edge meets up with the tapered edge of the top of can

10. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yea it was hard to bring myself to cut my floor. But I did it after staring at it for 3 days. Oh well you only live once you gotta make your car like you want it. Yours is lookin good man!

11. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

NOW THATS WHAT A CHEBBY IS SUPPOSE TO LOOK LIKE.......!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

12. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Here is mine. I JUST TOOK THE BAGS OUT. Got tired of the noise, leaks ups and down and the damage to the lower rear quarter due to lifting it up.. Didnt want to thing what would happen it i blew a line or a bag. That happened to a friend of mine. He almost went into the wall on the freeway.
    i have a MII with drop spindles and a 68 camaro rear end. THIS IS HOW LOW IT IS NOW AND GONNA STAY THAT WAY.

Attached Files:

13. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Good stance! C'mon guys let's see some more.

14. Surf Truck

Surf Truck
    1. A-D Truckers

I call mine a ridged... not really and nothing against bags, but for me I wanted to set it once and handle good. Less is more

15. Good thread here..... nice to see something like this because there are so many chevys that are bagged,its a nice change.Bickford your stance is looking good glad to hear you have returned.;)

16. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

This ain't lookin good guys....there's gotta be more than this every Chevy can't be bagged. I'm really looking for one coupe in particular.. It's light teal green in color and not chopped and really low. I remember seeing it a while back on here.anybody know?

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'm thinking more guys are at work right now... maybe this evening it'll pick up better!

18. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yea I know... I got off early.... Plus I play on my iPhone all day at work. :D

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Mine has blocks in the back (needs a c notch though) and the diff bottoms out on the floor quite often...the front has nasty riding heated coils thanks to the p/o ....havent come up with a redo plan yet ,so this thread will be great for ideas, cause it aint getting bags !

[​IMG]

20. 53-54 up rights will get you 1 1/2+ inches

spiffy1937 likes this.
  21. chaddilac

chaddilac

What? Explain please!!!

22. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yes in 53 they basically raised the perch on the upright (reason unknown ).but it will Lower 49-52 about and inch. There is an old article here in the 49-54 Chevy social grOup explaining it.

spiffy1937 likes this.
  23. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Sorry... But they won't get u but 3/4 or 1 inch only

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang!! that'd be an easy swap for me along with a coil and a half cut and I'd be down a lot lower!! Nice!!!

25. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

matt how is the ride. When I got my 50 it was already lowered. It rides ok but makes some hard hitting sounds when I end up on a bad road. I am going to get some stock coils up front and fix it. So keep posting guys need some good ideas.

tomc likes this.
  26. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Haven't driven this one yet Since I relowered it but have lowered a previous car this way... Rode very well IMO. A little stiff but not spongy like a wore out susp.I try to fine tune everything on mine ,every little change makes a big difference. Are the noises coming from front or rear on your car? If its the front it could be missing a rubber bump stop. If its heavily lowered in the rear It could need a c notch

27. jjsound

jjsound

28. teddyp

teddyp

here,s my 50 coupe cut coils lowering blocks and c,sd frame thats all

Attached Files:

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  29. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Jeff thanks to you and your mercury i have decided to get a proper stance. had to get away from the mini truck laying frame.

30. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

With a 29'' tall tire, I've got about 4.5'' of clearance in the front and about 3'' in the rear. The suspension and drivetrain are all stock with stepped lower control arms/ 1.5 coils cut in the front and 3'' blocks/de-arched leafs in the rear(rear rails are stepped and fenderwells moved up).

Attached Files: