Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Andy Southard, Jr.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 18, 2009.

1. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Ryan

Excellent - Thank You for your preservation efforts.

2. TDC2k

TDC2k

Ya know.... This article is truly a creation of two of the real gentlemen of the hot rod/custom car lifestyle. Andy Southard, Jr. and Rod Powell are two of the most talented and creative people to ever lay a flame or a pinstripe on a car. It's so great to see them have the recognition and fame they have both so deservedly earned.

I used to live a couple of houses away from Andy in Salinas. I was about ten years younger than he, but I used to gawk at all the beautiful machinery often parked around his house .... many of them were the current rides of true icons of the early hot rod culture whose names we would all know and remember.

Andy did a feature of my own custom car in the early sixties for Car Craft Magazine. I, like so many others, have gotten pictures of my cars from Andy's archive, many of which show colors or changes I never thought to photograph at the time. That Andy had the foresight to save those negatives has helped hundreds, if not thousands, of people regain the memories that would have been long lost had he not kept them..

Also, I've gotta say that Andy isn't just a one or two dimensional guy. As others have said, he is among the most interesting people I've ever met in my life -- on a huge variety of subjects. Cars, photography, guns, beautiful women, (his wife Patty is one), technology, Hollywood Stars and films past and present..... his home is a virtual museum of interesting photography and memorabilia....

The guy is a unique and gracious person I'm proud to call my friend..... and I can honestly say there is no greater friend to the Hot Rod/Custom Car culture than Andy Southard, Jr...

Terry Corp

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. george tibball

george tibball

I was priviliged to spent a few years hangin with Andy on Long Island in the 50's. Everyone had such great (mostly deuces) hot rods. It was a total blast every day.What a great guy. Then met with him again several years ago where he introduced me to many of my West Coast idols during the Oakland Show. Unbelievable. Truly one of the top Street Rodders ever and the best of the best as a person.

4. rockyj555

rockyj555

i wrote to andy long time ago, we corespondeded over the years, he is a terrific man and due to him all those early great hot rods were recorded , his book hot rod of the 50's is such a good book to check out, andy if your reading this contack me rocky j @ rockyj555@zoominternet,,,, we can catch up on whats happened last few yrs.................... rocky J

5. i'd love to clone his green t rpu

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Andys book are front and center in my library, a constant source of inspiration.
    Slim

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  7. Wellsville

Wellsville
    from Sweden

My hats of to both Andy and Rod ,, a pair of True ARTists + gentlemen !!

Attached Files:

8. Andy's roadster on the left ours on the right. Salinas CA early 70's 24131488_1676471975716773_3063572854142656964_n.jpg

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Super cool.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. My 2 favorite cars of Andy's were his 1956 Ford, and definitely his 1927 T roadster pickup.

12. Sparky13

Sparky13

Looking for any photos of any signed Andy pinstriped cars with his logo please !!
    My car was done back in 1964 by him. I believe in this one photo I have it says “Andy 64” on the bottom of the grill. I need it for the restoration. thanks. 4E3749A5-307A-480C-8006-237696293EDB.jpeg