Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anderegg Roadster TRIBUTE-MEMORIAL build and info, AMBR 1955

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ANDEREGG TRIBUTE, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Hot Rodd

Hot Rodd

Hey Louis, I came on your site about Ray's car and the work that you have done to duplicate his car. Great job and the car is just outstanding. As you know, I had Ray's car in the early 70's and sent you some information and pictures of the car when I had it. Great job and I'll be looking forward to seeing it sometime in the future. Harry Craycroft

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Welcome Harry, and thanks for looking in and the kind words. This place is awesome, hope you enjoy all the amazing builds and photos. I've got the car all ripped apart again, in the hopes of painting the frame, body and reassembling it over the winter. I certainly hadn't forgotten about you, and I was chipping away at my list of folks to call to update. Glad you checked in. Thanks again, tons of welding and grinding to do....I'm sure you can relate and remember. Hope to be able to show it to ya next spring.

3. Hot Rodd

Hot Rodd

Thanks Louis for the welcome. I just bought a T-Bucket and plan to show it at the Grand National 2012 in Pomona, If you plan to attend maybe we can hook up. Sounds like you have a busy winter with the car. Hope all goes well. Harry

4. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE RAY!!!

Well today was Uncle Ray's birthday, and he had yet to see the roadster in the flesh, soooo....we packed it up and took it to him. He was very impressed and very very happy that we are doing this. In several of the photos from September, he thought they were photos of the original car.... He crawled all over the car and thumbed through the photos and books for nearly 4 hours. Loved the fact we have a usable trunk, how everything was neatly tucked under the car out of sight, and was amazed at all the authentic parts we are using on the car. He had the biggest grin as he walked out to greet us. His brother-in-law and a neighbor were equally impressed. We had a great time, and hope to get him and the two brothers together after its painted and we score some wide whites (hopefully this spring or summer).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

What else to say but, Cool Cool Cool!

6. racefan1955

racefan1955

:eek: I was researching a 1960s "penny arcade" I have. It is of this car and I came across this site. I just joined in order to share it with others.

Attached Files:

7. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

WoW Louie! Fantastic progress! It's been quite awhile since I checked in on your build, and it has REALLY come along. I'm sure you are very proud, as well you should be.
    Keep on keepin' on!

8. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

That is so great that you have one of the cards!!! Really glad you made your first post regarding our lil roadster, hope to see ya back, and hope you enjoy the site:D:D

And Rocky, thanks for checking in. Kind of in a lull right now, but hope to back in full swing by the end of Feb. Thanks for checking in.:D:D

9. Very cool!

10. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well folks, after taking this winter off from working on the car and saving up a few bucks, its time to head out to the garage again. But we did manage a couple of milestones (at least to me) recently. First, we became members of the original car club that Uncle Ray was president of, the still very active, Merced Valve Burners. So the car will be sporting the clubs plaque, as it should. Also, I received this years HAMB plaque. And we have purchase the rear tires for the car, so first order of business is to true and weld the reversed rear Merc wheels and get them mounted up....I cant wait. Anyway, here are a few pics, and a pic of the dash that I painted up to see what the color that we are leaning towards looks like. The Buick gauges look really good, considering their age and not restored condition, just another one of those "touches" that made the original so perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

12. R&C RON

R&C RON

Louie , great to see you back on the car , keep us posted with updates.
    Ron

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Louie, what are the front/rear tire sizes? whats the wheelbase?Was following this thread before I even joined the HAMB. Very cool build.X2 on the Buick gauges as well.
    Actually, let me re-phrase the tire question. What size front and rear tires are on it in this photo?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  14. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I had borrowed these tires from Tracy Ledford, he sometimes runs them on his coupe. The rears are 8.20 BF Goodrich, and the fronts are 6.20 Firestones (I believe) on 15" Merc wheels, but the backs had not been reversed. I liked this tire combo, but per the photos of the original car, those fronts are in fact too tall. And his ww was not nearly large enough. But I have 8.20 Firestones now for the back and will go with 5.60 Firestones for the front.
    Looks like in pics of original they had access to huge white walls back then!!

My wheelbase is 120", but probably 2" longer than the original car for several reasons, my grill being a pick up grill, I believe my hood is 1" longer, and caster in my axle that they didnt have back then. Thanks for looking in...

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Louie. Yea, I really like the proportions of that tire combo on there. I get that you are trying to duplicate the look of the original car though. I might be snagging a T coupe body in the near future, thats why I was asking. That tire combo really looks "right" and I like the slightly narrower white wall too.

Are your new tires the 4 1/4" whitewall?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  16. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

That sounds cool, I have drawn a 27 coupe, mild chop, channeled on '30 Model A fenders,h hood, and 32 grill, and really liked its proportions....

Yup they are the 4 1/4 ww, Coker number 613120, got them through Summit, cheaper than Coker.

With those BFGs on I should've actually placed the rear axle about 1/2" forward, but its gonna take a bunch of work to change that....we will see if I in fact fix that

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Should have been clearer, no doors on the t coupe, so I am planning to cut the roof off.:eek:;)

18. stinsonart

stinsonart

The car was on the cover of Car Craft in late '59, I think. I have it somewhere. I remember that paint and striping sooo well! Too cool! I was twelve, and I think that issue may be the first car mag I ever bought. Thanks for the memories!!!

Bill Stinson
    Livonia, MI

19. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Ah gotcha Falcongeorge...

but...HMMMMMM... a Hawaiian style 27 coupster....:D

Stinsonart, yes it was, after Uncle Ray had rebuilt and repainted the roadster adding a small block Chevy. George Barris did the photography at the time, and that photo shoot showed up in several publications all the way until 1963.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Like most of us, I already have it built... in my mind.:rolleyes::D

21. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well this has nothing to do with the build, but my wife bought me a Bamboo Capture Drawing Tablet, and I have been messing with it for the past few days. This is about the 5th real drawing I have done thus far....I am having a blast learning this new stuff....pretty amazing what joining the 21st century can do.
    :D:D:D
    [​IMG]

Thank you Jeff Norwell....you are an inspiration and your artwork is out of this world....hope you dont mind being the object of my envy...although I have a lonnnnggggggg way to go.

41 GMC K-18 and Rich B. like this.
  22. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well its time to get serious about finishing the lil roadster. We finally purchased the front tires, and next up is welding up the reversed rear rims and mounting and balancing all the tires. I have decided to build a new gas tank, I am not happy with the way the one I had previously built is fitting. And I need to repair the firewall where someone had taken a torch to it around the steering column. I have started a new thread asking for some info regarding the 1934 Chevy steering box, I hope that turns out to be useful to others as well as myself. Here is the link http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774061

Well here are the tires and a really nifty pic of the roadster that I took a while back that I had forgotten about. I dont know, but for 1949-1955, the period when Uncle Ray was dreaming, designing, and building this roadster, it was sure a departure from the normal. There are so many things IMHO that were unique and bits of design elements that were ahead of their time incorporated into the roadster.

Thanks for looking in.....time for the big push....again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

On the color, I noticed in a couple of magazines the color was listed as "Goldenrod" which was a '55/'56 ford colour. If Ray confirms that, you could be well on your way to a match.

beater40 likes this.
  24. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well you guys, I wanted to pass this along to you. I recieved a long phone call from Uncle Ray, I didnt realize he had never seen our build thread here on the HAMB. I thought I had sent him a link along time ago, but apperantly I hadnt. His brother-in-law Doug had mentioned to him that there was alot of "hubbub" on the internet regarding his roadster as of late. So I sent him the link and he immediately called me back, and he and Aunt Sharon were completely blown away by the response, reception, and interest in our build and how the roadster has such a following.

Well I told him of the great folks that spend their time here, and how folks are following this from Australia to Canada to Germany, and that I too am very pleased and humbled by the interest. I also told him that he and "his" roadster are near hot rod royalty. That it has such a following because of its look, flow, and Bonniville styling (at least thats what I call it) that was not on the street in those days. It was IMHO truly ahead of its time.

Of course he just had to tell me about dreaming of the car at the age of 14, and purchasing the 41 Merc (that would be the frame and engine donor) for 90 bucks when he was about 15. And Aunt Sharon has her share of stories especially since she was in attendance at the GNRS in 1955 and was the one who tried to get ahold of him (he was in Army boot camp) for two days to give him the news that he had won the big trophy.

Anyway the gist of this post is to pass on directly from Uncle Ray a huge thanks to, and an appreciation for all the folks who still have the lil roadster in the backs of their minds. He also wanted to publicly thank (since he never really had the opportunity to in person) a fellow from the Calif Central Valley who spent several years helping him track down leads that allowed him to find the roadster in 1977, and to the "truck driver" who sold him the remnants of what was left (body and frame) so he could resurrect the roadster.

A big push is about to begin on the our lil tribute roadster, afterall we arent getting any younger, and its time!!!
    Let the fun begin....:D

25. Gloria564

Gloria564
    from usa

I will see if I have the June '60 issue. So you have the original body??[​IMG]

26. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well after what seems as a long hiatus, I am back at it as off last night officially. I had spent the last few weeks cleaning and organizing the garage, and gathering all the roadster pieces and parts. Several months ago I pulled the motor and trans out to make way for repairing the firewall and finishing the floorboards. So, here is the lil roadster back up in the air on jack stands, and the beginning of the repair of that butchered hole in the firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we go!!!!:D:D:D

27. R&C RON

R&C RON

Hi louie , the Roadster is looking GREAT! I just got a hold of some magazines and found this, and don't know if you have seen it....pretty cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks Ron, yup we have that lil mag in the collection. That is from the infamous Barris shoot of the car, that was in numerous magazines, using several odd names as the roadster's owner...still trying to figure that one out.
    We believe the photo shoot was done at at large brick grocery store in Modesto.
    I also am under the impression that the roadster and Gene Windfield's shop truck shared the same gold paint at the time, and the black and white striping was done by Tommy "The Greek" Hrones. Herb Martinez striped the car when it was rebuilt and painted red, and we believe that a fellow named Sam Pierce who had a custom motorcycle shop in Merced did the original striping on the yellow AMBR version in probably January of 1955.
    I dont know but my hair still stands on end when I see photos of the original car, its truly timeless....its just so "right"

Thanks for looking in and thinking of us....hope you and your bride are doing well.

29. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Chip, chip, chip, chipping away.
    Pulled the body this weekend, so I can order the brake lines and such. Also going to order new shoes, wheel cylinders all the way around and new drums for the rear. With that going on, I also figured I would get the engine completed as an assembly, clean up the trany, and throw some paint at it. Get all that bolted up so I can finish figureing out the clutch linkage with the body out of the way as well. Continue with finishing up the welding of the frame so it can get a coat of paint as well. Decided I am just going to paint the frame from the firewall forward yellow, and all of the underside of the floor and the back half of the frame will be black. Color for the tranny is still up in the air. Rear diff and control arms I think will end up yellow.
    [​IMG]
    For the time being I am going to throw this little 305 in the roadster, while I rebuild the 283. This motor was in a cubic inch limited race car class, and ran great (a couple of wins and class champion). Nothing fancy, except for the Lunati VooDoo cam. Gonna leave the Milodon stuff on it as is, but the 283 will get the same Ford red paint but a yellow oil pan (so the tranny may end up yellow as well). Need to come up with a nice but not so modern looking way of looming the wires....putting on my thinking cap (anyway, the HEI is more than likely going as well....points baby!!!). And to keep the crankcase venting simple, going to use my old racing valve covers, but will drill one out for a PCV valve to hopefully keep some of the oil from finding its way out of the vent stacks. 283 will get my Vette valve covers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  30. daddio211

daddio211

Route your plug wires under the headers. Nice n' clean.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app