Register now to get rid of these ads!

An HA/GR (& other classes) Place for Discussion

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 64 DODGE 440, Dec 1, 2014.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just thought that with 200 posts on the "HA/GR Rules" thread that rather than bury the rules with all the assorted discussions that have been stacked there, it might be good to have a seperate thread for stating our ideas of what we think about the class in general and what other directions our minds warp in.

Gentlemen (I use the term generically), let the ideas flow freely (I'm betting the post count will grow quickly).

2. Ok I guess I'll jump in, have you guys seen these?
    8.00/8.50-14 Vintage Drag Slick NEW!
    [​IMG]
    Brand: M&H Racemaster Tires
    Product Code: MVD-006
    Availability: In Stock
    Price: $224.00
    Qty:
    - OR -
    Description
    • Tread Width: 7.0"
    • Section Width: 9.8"
    • Diameter: 28.0"
    • Circumference: 88.0"
    • Rim Size: 6.5"
    • Code: MVD-006
    • Compound Type: #704
      **(NOTE) TIRES ARE ONLY SOLD AS PAIRS. YOU MUST PUT AT LEAST 2 IN THE QUANTITY BOX.**

3. bobw

bobw

I'll put some pie crust slicks on if I have traction problems. Since I won't be racing against any HA/Gr or SDRA cars I'm free to do it. Sure would prefer to be part of a gaggle of HA/GR or SDRA cars. I would follow the rules in that case.
    Can hardly wait for racing season. Only 5 months away.

RoadRunner5 likes this.
  4. Our racing season ends Dec 13th and starts again Jan 2nd.

5. old sparks

old sparks

With the demise of hurst pie crusts, what other options do we have for " period correct" slicks?

6. Old sparks,
    Towel City & Radir both have some.Don't know if the ones Coker and Speedway sell (Firestone) are the same as the Radirs'.Also American racer (McCreary) has some tread patterns that would work in some skinny tread widths but don't know how any of their compounds would work on the strip.

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

For those who are running the 6" bias ply tires per the HA/GR rules, I recall "in the old days" one of the tricks used was to have the tread shaved to minimum depth to create a poor mans cheater slick. We went one step cheaper and just bought used/almost bald tires to achieve the same results.

8. old sparks

old sparks

For those of us that have decided to go in a different direction than ha/gr style. The coker slick is hard as a rock. The radir is twice the price of a good tire. I guess the only option is towel city and I`ve only talked to 1 person running them on a stock 292 nwsdra car and he said they were " ok so far". I`m going to run m/t`s because I spun a 31 x 12 at eagle field . Bracket`s are all about consistency.

9. Old sparks, I have also noticed in looking at early racing pics some of the rails were running smooth side slicks.M/T Is bringing out a new sportsman radial slick in an 8" width which I might try.They also have a 225/70 street radial for around $120 that is another option. I know of guys who have run in the low 10's high 9's with the 255/60 size of that same tire.

10. old sparks

old sparks

300, m/t has a 29.5 tire made for sport compacts (f8 compound wrinkle wall) that feels like the old gum erasers we had when I was a kid.

11. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Only gonna be so close to period correct on tires if you get away from bias ply treaded tires.

Build it safe (rules) , close to period correct size n shape. Drive it like you stole it. have fun

12. spanners

spanners

Our blokes are running decent, but not extreme horsepower, manual gearboxes and cross-ply tyres . They take off in second or in some cases third gear, which minimizes tyre slip, and still manage to run 100 plus mph. Maybe it's a case of if you want to throw big money at your engine you might be better off with an Altered or slingshot. Build a solid , reliable, low dollar engine with a view to being able to run consistently and often. Yes, I'm only running low 14s with a engine that has probably cost me $700-800. but I do it time after time and don't worry about it letting go in a big , expensive way. If I went to slicks I'd have to upgrade the rest of the driveline which also increases weight so I'd have to upgrade the engine....... Dog chasing it's tail syndrome.

Old6rodder and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Or do what I did with my roadster pickup truck - use a 2.47 rear gear, shift it at mid-track and run 100+ (112) and never spin a tire while keeping under 5000 RPM. I realize lots of guys like tiresmoke-and-wheelspin so it comes down to "do you want to put on a good show or win lots of rounds?" I chose to let my competition put on the show.

14. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said spanners, well said.

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just a quick message to say we're wishing all y'all the Merriest of Christmases and the best year of racing yet in 2015. It seems like 2014 shouldn't be over yet. So much to do and so little of it done, but without the racing it sure would have been boring. Special thanks to Team Geezerspeed and my buddy Old6Rodder for the seat time. The passes at Eagle Field keep me grinning the rest of the year. Progress will be made on our car in 2015. ;)

16. Old28

Old28

To all HAMBer's out there, have a great X-mas and a safe New Years. My ride is parked away for the next 6 months so I can concentrate on getting well from my hip replacement & getting moved back over to the coast. I have already put togeather some drawings of the modifications I want to make so the dragster will have a foot well 6" below the existing floor. This will really help with getting out of the car. Will need to change the rear trans mount and relocate the brake master cylinder. One thing for sure, during rehab I have a lot of time to plan changes on the car.

17. bobw

bobw

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the folks that hang out here.

18. Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year. Hope you all have a safe Holiday season!

19. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Heard the clatter of little feet on the roof last night.
    I think it was the squirrel that lives in the big pine tree out back.o_O

21. spanners

spanners

Over here in Australia, Xmas has been and gone for another year. Today is Boxing Day which I think has something to do with getting rid of the empty beer cartons and the fuzziness in the head. Kids and Grandaughter coming over for my pancake breakfast and then Poppy Pete gets to collapse on the lounge.
    I hope everybody, no matter where you are, have a Happy Xmas and ripper New Year.
    Spanners

22. bobw

bobw

Not a lot of Hambster action this time of year so I am posting this video from last summer's Meltdown Drags in Byron, Ill. The first race shows my friends Terry and Lee with their shortened Studebaker.

At the 5 minute mark Bob Huberty, 2b banjo here on the HAMB cranks out a 11.53 with his flathead powered HAMB dragster beating the Altered roadster to half track.

He and I should be squaring off this July at the same race. I hate to bet against myself, but Bob is awfully good.

Around the 18 minute mark Rocky Phillip's twin Chevy Comp car from California makes a pass.

There is a Part 2, if you search Youtube.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    30dodgeboy likes this.
  23. old sparks

old sparks

Can`t remember when I`ve enjoyed a video as much. Just gave me a boot in the butt to get back on the changes to my car. Wish we had a meltdown drags on the left coast. Did`nt see anything newer than 63.

24. Old28

Old28

bobw, thanks for posting part one of the Meltdown Drags for 2014, found part two on YouTube. Just finished watching both parts and that is the best 60 min of Nostalgia Drag Racing I have seen in a long time. I love that shortened Stude, that is one great Street/Strip Hot Rod.

old sparks, Ya son, April Opener will be hear before you know it.

25. old sparks

old sparks

I heard mention of dragfest at famoso. Does anyone know anything ? Can`t find any thing on their website about it.

26. Old28

Old28

old sparks -- We are all keeping our ears open for a possible date. old6 will post it in our race schedule thread as soon as we know. Maybe we might know something by the March Meet. Are you going to have your car ready for the ANRA Opener on April 17-19?

27. old sparks

old sparks

old 28, I plan on being there for the opener. The reason I asked about dragfest is if it`s to close to something else datewise, I might not be able to afford both events. I might be going to the march meet as a one day spectator. If so do you want me to bring the "T" down. I hope your rehab is doing well.

28. Old28

Old28

old sparks, Dan I need to hold off on the body for now as I have no room in the storage unit to put it. With the race car, all parts and all my shop stuff it is full.We are going to list the house the end of Feb and hope to get the move done by end May. Rehab is going good, it's a day to day thing.

29. Hey Guys,
    Would like your opinions etc. on this, trying to play around with an idea for a filter top and trying to get it to look some what period correct.
    A)[​IMG]
    B)
    [​IMG]
    C)
    [​IMG]
    D)
    [​IMG]

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Reasonably OK, but for true "period correct" a scoop or flash shield without a filter would be more common. Not too many folks worried about keeping the dirt out.