Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Rodder / 2 A highboy projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

One from the editor Joe Kress, the other from Randy Riall.

Joe was chronicling the build of his '28 tudor and for, maybe 8 years off and on I'd see or read a little about it. The last thing I read was out of the AR May 2000 issue's editorial, and Joe mentioned he had moved to Florida and was going to really finish the car.....Anybody know?

Then there is maybe one of the coolest mockups(!) I had ever seen, and it was a pickup that Randy Riall was building. A '28 phone booth on 32 rails, 12 spokes etc.. Rods by Roudy, is, I think, the name of his shop.

Googled the names and did not come up with any progress reports, or, better yet, finished pics.

Any of y'all know how either of these projects went down?

2. I remember the "phone booth" A pick up. Looked like it was going to be a killer.

Would love to know what ever happened with that one.

JH

3. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I dunno but those two mockups haunt my dreams.

4. You sure it isn't the slutty models?:p

which BTW, were much better that the trendy "pinups" we now get to view.

5. I remember the A sedan too. I lived in Orlando from '90 to '04 and was allways keeping an eye out for it at shows, but never saw it. I hope it got finnished according to plan.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Pinups...PINUPS...??? Hahahahaha...the ONLY way I'd pin them up is to cover them with shellac to attract flies...

R-

7. was the sedan the one they cut the roof off to make a tub. the tech on the windswheild posts should be madatory reading for any one building a coupester

8. brandon

brandon

that was the one i remember.... seems like it had 35 spokes on it...? brandon:D

9. GreggAz

GreggAz

I remember the tub, but was that before the 2000 editorial?

I thought that car was a closed sedan.

10. Good one Rog!

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

They cut the roof off?!!!

12. GreggAz

GreggAz

I think the tub was a second sedan project

13. if any one wants beter copies i can do page by page

14. brandon

brandon

i almost cut my last tudor because of this article....when it came time to do it...i couldn't find the damn magazine....:rolleyes: brandon:D

15. He should have been scalded on the balls for that...........thought so then, think so now!

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I can see why someone might do this (no windows, regulators, seals etc.), but I'm glad you couldn't find your issue! hahaa

Anyone have a pic of the other one (phone booth). I can't even find the mockup photo or which magazine it was in...

17. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

The sedan mockup article is July 1994. Cover has Lisa Lauria as Lady Luck.
    I haven't run across the truck picture yet.

The Truck is mentioned in the May 2000 editorial and then there is a reader submitted drawing of it in Sept. 2000.

I still can't find the actual picture of it.

Damn you Jeem I need to be working on the car, not scattering magazines all over the living room. :)

18. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read that article too

Attached Files:

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, looks like you paid attention....

BenD, I saw a picture of the phonebooth at the beginning of one of the buckaroo magazines, but I don't remember which one, and when!

20. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

In the editorial article it mentions that Kress met Riall when photographing the Sargis Willys pickup (Silver one I believe) so it's gotta be from say '99 on up.

I thumbed thru a pretty good size stack this morning and damn they had some good articles.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That was Lisa Lauria? Dang man.......

Anyway, I have that issue and one other in regards to the sedan that was much earlier (I think). What does Joe Kress do these days, besides cutting the roofs off old, defenseless tudors?

I remember that silver Willys pickup.

Thanks for looking BenD. I don't know if I've even got the issue with the pickup in it, as the only time I'm certain I've seen it was at a buddy's shop, and like I said, it was a buckaroo mag.

An amalgamation of these two projects is what I'd like to do.....although I have two other projects ahead of that though.