Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMBR winner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by therealjakeg, Jan 25, 2015.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have no use for them and I certainly don't think they should be winning any sort of awards. Other than, is there an award show for kit cars?

No, I don't think they are "bitchin". There are tons of cars posted here that are though.

2. ...................Sorry, but I can't really agree with that.

3. 117harv

117harv

Countless threads here on car shows and the politics, despite the final outcome of any show entered car owners as well as the public will never be 100% happy. All I can say is I wouldn't want to be a judge.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. How much does it cost to win that trophy every year anyway? I mean by the time you pay the builder, do the promotion, set up, transportation and everything else that goes along with the deal. A couple hundred grand?

5. redo32

redo32

For most of the top shops $200,000 will by you a nice driver. AMBR quality is at least twice that. Ken Reister's Illusion '36 Roadster built by Chip Foose was reported at 1.2 million.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may be one of those you actually have to see it in person and take some time studying it things. Seeing a dozen haphazard phone shots on Facebook
    doesn't tell a lot about any car let alone one competing for the AMBR.

Flat-N-Low likes this.
  7. Boatmark

Boatmark

I'll get the disclaimer out of the way first - In my opinion, it is a Hot Rod, it isn't a Kit Car in any way, it may or may not be a Street Rod depending on your outlook, and without a doubt the fit, finish, and craftsmanship involved is outstanding.

That said, the car just isn't to my taste. That's not a bad thing. When these threads come up I am always amazed at all the "I don't like this type of car, so it sucks". Are people that one dimensional? I like all kinds of builds. And even if I don't like the overall car, there is usually some detail within the build that makes you stop and think, "hey, that's cool, gotta remember that". The world will not end if someone cannot document that their car spent 40 years under Funk & Wagnall's porch. (ok, rant over)

But I do have one question that I have always wondered. Alloway has a "formula" for an Alloway car. No matter the era of car being built, the net result can be spotted from a mile away as an Alloway car, following the formula. So how to you get customers to let you build "their car" to the "Alloway formula"? If I had the coin to commission an Alloway build (which I know as a normal guy I never will) I would be looking for a melding of my vision, with their abilities, to create the car of my dreams - not the builders formula. I am not picking on Mr. Alloway, and what he does obviously works, but I have always questioned how this works. It seems like with some "name" builders each car is different, and with others no matter what they build it sort of looks the same.

Rustomiser likes this.
  8. wvenfield

wvenfield

There have been many kit cars I like. There are only so many Cobra's to go around so if you want one they are a good option for the regular guy. I'm just not going to slobber over a kit one when the other option is a real one. (there were real Ford's to pick from)

9. So when was the AMBR a low buck thing? I must have missed that. Many of the winners, even in the 60's were not to my taste, but...so what?
    They didn't build 'em for me. I haven't been to a show in a couple years now, even in Los Angeles it tends to be the same cars over and over. After a while, it's boring, or at least, not interesting.
    I don't get the "kit car" thing. What are you saying, it must be real steel? Why?
    I don't follow pro builders either ( though I do like Hollywood Hot Rods work), when somebody comes up with something new, I'll take a look.
    There are TONS of great cars at the roadster show, why fixate on the big trophy. Frankly, the budget builds on the HAMB interest me more than big bucks show cars.

LongT, Maverick Daddy and 51 mercules like this.
  10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Of course not......you can build whatever you want. It's none of my business. I simply don't understand picking a car with more in common with a Plymouth Prowler than a real Ford.

51 mercules likes this.
  11. zephyr speed

zephyr speed
    from reno nv

The peckerheads are die-hard 33-34 fans and we could appreciate this car but we were consumed with the nickel 3 32. Original body,frame,axil,v8qc,mag halibrands,one of one overhead 302 by Ford and a stainless roof that had us scratching our heads. For us it was a over the top build. I will say the show was well worth going to and we spent 8 hours enjoying the talent that went in to these cars.

uncle buck likes this.
  12. Uh, maybe because it's 2015, not 1959? It's not my taste either, but..I don't really CARE who wins. Good for them. I'll keep moving along.

13. The Judges made the right call because they are the ones combing over the cars. Personally I think there were more beautiful roadsters on display, but I wasn't there in person. The Olson '33 roadster obviously came out on top due to overall appearance and scored well in the detailing area, minimal faults. Now the Judges, they are judging on what they see and mark the car 1-18 on what was the most beautiful to least beautiful. The vast majority of judges for AMBR are in the over 50 range, they are judging on their preferences. They are and have been involved in the whole Street Rod movement over the last 30 something years. I feel once that generation become less involved and the Generation X builders, designers & journos like Jimmy Shine, Troy Ladd, Jimmy White, Alan Johnson, Tim Strange, Jimmy Smith, Ryan etc become more prominent then we will see more traditional styled hot rods win. I do think the show is moving that way now.

14. Look, it's show car stuff.
    Look at some of the past winners...Casper's Ghost? The Invader? This years winner is WAY more Ford than those. Besides, who says it's got to be a Ford? The show car world is NOT the HAMB world!
    Plenty of room for everybody!

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

In the end I don't care either but it's being discussed. Something to do. Someone thinks it's great, I think it's kind of lame. Life goes on.

I am the utmost expert on my opinion.

16. I for one am glad we have reproduction bodies people can go out and buy that and build their Street Rod and leave the original bodies for people wanting to build traditional hot rods. Also the advent of reproduction panels/bodies have helped people save countless original bodies.

17. wonder if those cars with the original cowl but has reproduction rear panels, sub rails and frame is a kit car now?
    wish I had some kit aluminum heads for my Y block and maybe some kit Buick drums
    anyway nice to see a straight axle, early Hemi stick shifted hot rod get some love.
    congrats to the owner, builders and all others involved, enjoy

18. Well stated Jimmy. There has been a trend over the last few years, although very subtle, towards more traditional appearing cars in the running for the big trophy. It does appear to be a result of the influence of the GenX builders and even the popularity of traditional cars, through sites like the HAMB, on those aging street rod judges. Hey, when the so called "authority" on street rods, Street Rodder magazine, has been featuring a lot of traditional style cars in the last few years, it's bound to influence the judges.

19. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

A kit car,Just bolt it together.Yea ,right.

lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  20. they even add the paint, fitment and modifications to the metal before they stamp it

i.rant likes this.
  21. 5window

5window

If it were spring time and not January, this thread would be like 5 posts long. As it is, we're just like the Hot Stove League, just kickin' stuff around. End of the day, none of it really matters. Everyone has their opinion, somebody spent a lot of time and money to win, I had no dog in the fight and I don't really care-except that it's winter, it's too cold to work out in the shop lying on the floor which is what I need to do and we're all kinda prickly. Come-on springtime!

seadog likes this.
  22. tevintage

tevintage

I guess what wvenfield is saying,boils down to is don't label it a 33 dodge, chevy, buick, ford etc. If it really is not. It does have validity! TEB

wvenfield likes this.
  23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It was sunny and in the upper 60s today here in northwest Arkansas. I drove the Nomad this morning and then late this afternoon, drove my '47 over to MRpants house to see his awesome A coupe as well as his 54 Chevy, and 64 Cadillac. Pretty good day. His model A and 54 Chevy can be seen here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/img-0399.490272/

5window likes this.
  24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally!-----A winner to support the official name AMBR!!!!

squirrel likes this.
  25. uncle buck

uncle buck

I think wvenfield needs to get himself a Street Beast to really get what a kit car is...

metlmunchr, lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

And I hear its from the great state of South Dakota!!

27. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

The problem I have with a lot of the HAMB, is guys who can't hold a wrench, never built a complete car,don't know how to build a motor, can't weld or paint,but they're friggin experts at construction and taste.

28. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I think you hit the nail on the head.
    But it,s not just the HAMB,it,s the internet in general

29. ^^^^^^^bingo^^^^^^^