Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I the only one that don't like the new format ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by langy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Back at you Gary! HRP

2. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Sorry to say I'm another one that preferred the old H.A.M.B.
    I know Ryan has worked hard to make all these updates on this form that I greatly appreciated in the past.
    That said,I'm on a few different forums, the H.A.M.B being the first one I joined. I can get used to all of them pretty easy, but this, I just can't, I don't know what it is.I'm just not feeling it no matter how much I try. It seems more difficult to use and to get used to. Oh and I miss being able to have the "Old School Hamber" title.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  3. You could put that "Old school HAMBer" title in your signature line.:)...Just a thought.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. johnod

johnod

Ya, I find it more difficult to use as well. Not user friendly at all.
    Used to check in here every couple of days, now , maybe every 3 months, it's too bad, used to really like this site.

5. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I agree, my activity level has dropped significantly since the new format was introduced.

Waited for awhile to see if I would get used to it... nope

example...I have spent a half hour trying to find the member directory.. . never did.

6. 117harv

117harv

^^^ Really? The icon at the top left middle, click on notable members and scroll down a few inches and on the right there is a tab (find members). doesn't seem that hard.

7. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I think he was referring to the complete directory of all the members (old format) instead of an individual member search.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Wow a lot has been posted in this thread since I last looked !!!
    I don't know why but I used to get email notification but no more so wasn't aware this thread was even still active.
    The email notification thing seems to have gone very sporadic these days where it used to work fine.
    I have got used to the new system but for me the buddy feel that the old system had seems to have gone, I really appreciate what Ryan does for us all but it's just how I find it, sorry

9. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Agreed Steve, also sorry....but pic posting from phone works great

10. I like the new format was a pane to get used to but most things worth doing are. I can't seem to post pics off my phone if I'm not on the hamb app. The app on the other hand is tough.

11. There really isn't a list but Ryan addressed this in a recent questions & suggestions and said he is working on a members list now. HRP

[​IMG]
    Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR

from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

At the moment, there is no way to do that. Privacy concerns really... But I'm working on improving member discovery right now.

From The Desk Of
    Ryan Cochran
    ...........................................................................................
    Skating the same line since 1976

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. earbleeder

earbleeder
    from in

I like the way it used to be. The groups were organized better. It was easier to find info and post it too. I'm wondering if what I'm posting is in the right spot or to be read by the people I want it to be read by. No offense but I'm mostly into Model A's right now and I think it would be nice to just see what's going on with them without having to sort through all the other posts. This new format looks nice but not much under the hood. IMHO

13. If Model A's is all your interested in why not check out the Ford Barn,there is a section just for Model A's. HRP

14. olds vroom

olds vroom

I'm not too happy with the new update for the ip one ..... Lost all my subscribed posts and now I have to log in for every post

15. I gave it time, played with it, got used to it. The mods have been helpful anytime I needed help. Still like the old format better, but have become used to this one.

I do know that many guys have issues with the "pm" feature. I have an ad that I say "pm me here or email me at.....". I get 3 times as many direct emails as I do PMs, and almost every email starts off with "tried to PM you on the HAMB, but couldnt figure it out (or something similar)".

To Ryan, The German, all the mods: I'm not mentioning that to complain, but rather something you may want to make more user friendly. On the old format I used to get more PMs from posts and ads than I do now. I thought at first that once the new format took place that maybe there were less people surfing the Hamb because I wasnt getting any/many PMs. Once I started including my email, I'm now getting as many responses as I ever was before on the old system. I dont have any recommendations on how to accomplish this because I've become used to the format, but there does seem to be an issue with it.

Past that, this is still the biggest and most informative old car website out there BAR NONE. For that, Ryan and all the mods,,,,,, THANK YOU for your time and efforts.

16. I have started adding the email also,I keep hearing they tried to send a conversation but couldn't do it.

I have used the feature many times without any problem but I realized not everyone uses it on a regular basis. HRP

17. earbleeder

earbleeder
    from in

I'm interested in Model A performance also.

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I find the PM system very easy to work, my comments were more aimed at why its so much quieter than it used to be and why so many updates don't seem to appear these days ???

19. I also just added my email adr. to my ad in the Hamb O Dex. I also have had people say they tried to P.M. me & somehow messed it up.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. The PM thing keeps coming up that it is difficult to figure out but not once have I seen anyone explain what they find difficult about it other than the red envelope being the indication that you have a PM is not as obvious as the pop up window use to be. It's pretty tough to ask for something to be fixed when nobody mentions what the problems they are having are.

21. From what I have encountered is when a non hamber sees something in the classifieds and joins the hamb just to get in touch with a seller but don't know how to use the conversation feature. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. But if that is the case other than maybe PM being a more recognized term they would have no more knowledge of how to use the feature than the conversation feature so I don't see how that is relevant.

23. It works better but finding the "start conversation" is pain in the ass and I know where to look. The text "start a conversation" text looks like this PROFILEPAGESTARTACONVERSATIONFOLLOW and it's the same color, text size and font that all of the other info is in a MEMBER SINCE POSTS LIKES RECIEVED TROPHY POINTS. There's nothing to distinguish it as a link.

The default font sucks.
    Tell me this line isn't easier to read.

24. You mean you want me to just flat -out LIE to you? Well, I suppose I could. If that's what you really want. So OK... Here's goes then... Ahem... The font, ummm, I mean, I think that... errrr....

Sorry. I can't do it. It's just not in my nature. :oops:

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well I have been spending less time here, and some of it had to do with the "new" format. Well I and I was a little burnt out. But after getting booted from the "HAMB Members" Facebook group for trying to get it to stay within the HAMB guidelines, and all I heard was HAMB bashing. I think I'm back here for the REAL DEAL. Thanks Ryan for keeping the lights on. My alliance renewal is coming your way on payday.

26. Welcome back zman.:)

27. I don't subscribe to fartbook so welcome back home zman. HRP

28. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Same church...different pew. Likes. Dislikes. Friends. Followers. Albums. Social Groups. And lets not forget...Drama.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Good to see you back zman