Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Am I out of touch with prices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crystal Blue, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

On C/L I saw a 33/34 Ford Sedan Delivery rear door skin for sale.
    He wants $8,500.00. Is he smoking something :cool:, or am I out of touch with prices o_O.

[​IMG]

2. Uptown83

Uptown83

Damn that is pretty high

3. Seems a little excessive to me,I would want the rest of the delivery to put the door on at that price. HRP

Bubba1955 likes this.
  4. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

HRP, he had an empty shell going for 10K, but the listing is gone. That was 2 days ago.

5. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I guess it depends on how bad you want an original door for your Delivery. But put 32 or 33-34 on something and the $ goes up up UP!

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It can't hurt to ask! He can always negotiate down, not up......

7. I have no idea what the market value is for one, I have never seen one forsale. My guess is neither has the doors owner.

8. I would try to make one for that kind of money.

daddylama and Bubba1955 like this.
  9. The internet has made it a lot easier to 'fish' for prices.

No one actually PAYS these high prices, but it now costs almost nothing to ASK.

And then he'll sit on it until that day when the family calls the scrapper to clear out the joint.

Seen it happen more often lately, because the ornery old farts are getting, well, oldER. And
    sadly, kinda dead-er, too.

Cosmo

primeisnotacrime likes this.
  10. Can't a guy find a whole sedan body for less and whack what he needs? YES, I think He's on drugs. Tim

11. Who you call ornery old farts? :D HRP

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Marcell will make you one cheaper than that. If you need one and have the $$$ then it is a good deal for the seller. I thought $3000 for a 40 sedan delivery rear door was high but $8500 seems TOOOOOOO---high.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

can't blame the guy for trying..... if I found that door in a scrap pile I'd only ask $4,000.00.

JB_roadrage and 1956 F100 like this.
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Try finding another one.Around 4000 sounds right though.

15. I had some of that stuff he is smoking in Bangkok many moons ago. That stuff will drive you mad.
    :eek:

16. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I'm guessing whatever he's smoking I can't afford either...

17. lol but damn it must be good!!

18. kinda cool just to see an NOS part. It should be in a museum. :)
    -Pat

19. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I"m with ya A fool and sucker born every day,like 20 grand for a rusty ass field car 32.I would be ashamed to tryin sucker some rich guy or anyone for some of the prices some of these fools and I mean FOOLS are trying to get.it is a JOKE.had rather have a good glass body than some of that crap.Do some of these guys ever look in the mirror and see just how stupid they look.

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It's ridiculous what the prices have been for vintage cars and parts these years. Even basic parts like stock carbs, starters, water pumps are all in the hundred dollar range or more. I remember paying 25 dollars for a rebuilt starter for my Nomad back in the earlier 80s. Today, that price would be 50 dollars so why does the auto parts charge 150 dollars?? Prices are ridiculous. The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer, and the middle class is fading away.

21. daddylama

daddylama

i think most asking prices i see online these days are out of touch with reality.
    the HAMB is one of the last online places i even look for parts anymore. some great sellers here.

as far as local stuff... the asking prices are often about as silly as the absurd online asking prices...

22. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Really just sucks for the guy that wants it.......

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A teenager, thinking about getting into old cars, sees that and says, "Screw this! I'll buy a Honda Civic and a NOS set up." Our legacy to those who follow, will be storage units full of rusty, obsolete, shit.

40fordtudor and ynottayblock like this.
  24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

The inflated prices have quelled any desire I had for a classic roadster.
    Instead I'll probably build a "non-car." Something scratch-built in the style of 1934, but no original parts in it.

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Supply and demand.....if no one bites, the price will come down. If someone bites, well, both sides are happy.

26. txturbo

txturbo

when was the last time you saw a 33-34 panel/delivery....way fewer of those than coupes and coupes are outrageous. So if you have one and need a rear door skin........

JB_roadrage likes this.
  27. You just have to go to Fleabay to get a good laugh at what some people think that their "original unique part" is worth...And you see the same listing for a year. If something is rusty, bent, looks like it came from the bottom of a swamp, pitted and has 2 bolts sheared off still inside it, and is photographed next to an old GM spares box, then it must be rare/unique/worth every cent. (good core for rechroming= I couldn't be arsed throwing it into the bin)

28. Bart78

Bart78

These prices are why you see the same stuff on Craig's list all the time. It's amazing what people ask for a old flathead that they found in their dads barn.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I'd make a reasonable offer (reasonable to you) to the guy, along with your e-mail address or phone number. If he doesn't get an idiot to meet his high price, he can call you and meet your price, if he is serious about selling it. It's likely he'll have to lower his price eventually. This stuff may be a bit hard to find, but it ain't gold.

30. A lot of sellers out there fishin'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.