Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Am I Missing Something Here? '32 Ford $14,500???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Sure looks like a fibreglass body with generic chop, hidden hinges, no cowl vent, smooth firewall also looks like a glued in windscreen. Is it worth 14k? Quite possibly especially if it is a stalled project. Could be a good driver for the $$$.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Looking at the pics, something not quite right. That's a Deuce rad shell, but the body looks more like 33 or 34 3 window coupe to me, or perhaps it's a replica body and the proportions are a little off?
    Personally I think 32 fords are overpriced anyhow.;)

3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Only one way to find out! Even the glass bodied 32s are going for good money these days.

4. If it really is steel (not steal) , someone went to great lengths to make it look like fiberglass.:eek::rolleyes:

5. clem

clem

What pic are you looking at? Definately a '32 3 window. Looks like a glass bodyThough. How can they be overpriced if that is what everyone is prepared to pay for them.?

6. henry29

henry29

The second picture shows the mold lines around the back window.

7. Shows how much I know:( Hahaha

I noticed the mold lines after I posted the thread.

On a side note did anyone see Brian Setzer's '32 Coupe on eGay a couple weeks ago offered at $50k?

8. oldolds

oldolds

Hmmm The ad states steel body. We can see that it is glass in the pics. I would bet it is a scammer ad. You call, set up a meet in the dark alley and he gets your money, you get a lump on the head. Just a guess on my part.

9. R Pope

R Pope

Could just be a crummy paint job that looks like gel coat.
    Never thought of a scammer, that could be it! The guy has never seen the car, just some pics he found somewhere.

10. R Pope

R Pope

Could just be a crummy paint job that looks like gel coat.
    Never thought of a scammer, that could be it! The guy has never seen the car, just some pics he found somewhere.

11. roundvalley

roundvalley

Add posted 8 days ago. Something wrong if still for sale. If that was close, I would have looked at it 8 days ago!

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like mold parting lines around the rear window area to me...

13. 2935ford

2935ford

A lump on the head for cash......hmmmmm, not a bad deal, yes! :)

14. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

If the post is correct and it is a steel body to me it looks like the failed Hot Rods and Horsepower body.

15. Phil1934

Phil1934

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd buy it from the Craigslist guy. Much lower price!o_O
    Kudos on your image search. You get the Wile E. Coyote Super Genius award for the day.

17. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Hey Phil1934, how did you do that? The reverse image thing I mean. BILL RINALDI

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The ad looks like to me it has "red gel coat".

19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Phil1934 good catch. I've done that a few times with both CL and eBay ads.

Google has an image search option using the URL of any image found on the net.

20. Can you say scam. HRP

flynbrian48 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Phil1934

Phil1934

Right click on image and click View Image Info and copy the location URL. Then paste it into a reverse image search engine. I usually use www.tineye.com but it came up bust so I used another. There are about 6 of them that a Google search will produce.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Hotrodmyk, Hnstray and Kan Kustom like this.
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Pretty cool info you gave us there. Thanks for sharing.

23. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Now THAT is slick!!!!!

at

24. Here's the real ad.. HRP

CARS ON LINE

1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe

Ford 3 Window Coupe. This is a BRAND NEW, cool little coupe that you can drive anywhere while you apply the finishing touches. This car is titled as a 1932 Ford. It has a Tea seat all padded and ready for upholstery. The body is all mounted and still sits in red gelcoat. The frame is all done with a dropped tube front end, 4 bar set up, disc brakes and lots of chrome. The rear is an 8". The 350 motor & 350 trans is shifted with a Lokar shifter. EZ wiring and VDO gauges in a billet insert. Close offers or trades.

Price - $ 23,500 or trade

Call (973) 557-7930
    Wayne, New Jersey US

[​IMG]

flynbrian48 likes this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

You can just drag the pic into the Google search bar at the top of your browser, (assuming you have Google as your search engine) and it'll search for copies of the pic. One click. Great way to check these kinds of deals.

26. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Yeah, you're right, not a '33 but surely a 'glass replica. As far as the "overpriced" comment goes, that's a subjective/personal opinion thing. I guess "overpriced" in relation to other vehicles of the same style/time period which can be obtained at a fraction of the cost., some of which I consider better looking than a deuce anyhow.:)

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Wow, very obvious that the 2nd guy is using the original picture and claiming it is his car !!! I would be reporting that to CL for sure. He is up to no good no matter how you slice it.

Here is the phone number he shows in the ad........336-520-4026. Can someone check who comes up with that number ?

Don

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I actually dialed the number and got a typical generic voicemail. Probably an untraceable "burner" or throwaway cell phone. A lot of these scammers use Google phone accounts, too.
    I've been shopping for an OT beater pickup truck lately and you would not believe how many ads are placed by scammers. Typically an underpriced vehicle with good pictures, no location specified, and only phone number to respond to by text message.
    The scammer will respond to your text and ask for an email address. Then you will receive an email with a sob story about a military widow or a female military member (in one case both) who is either deployed in the middle east or soon to be deployed and the vehicle is located in a shipping container somewhere and cannot be seen. Upon your payment the vehicle will be shipped to you.

The scary thing is that these scams must work, otherwise nobody would be trying them.

lothiandon1940 and BamaMav like this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have ran into the same thing, especially on CL. Usually, a dead giveaway is the price will be some odd figure, like$3972, never an even $3700 or $3850. We even ran into one on ebay classifieds, not even sure if they do those anymore.

Typically, if it sounds too good to be true, then it is probably a scam...