Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical air wipers 50 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borpa11, Aug 1, 2014.

1. borpa11

borpa11
    from Colorado

Now I know there miserable at best but I want to try and see if my air windshield wipers will work or be rebuildable. I know most either rainex or swap to an e-motor but I want to try.

Thing is Ive never fooled with these things ever. Is it true that they run off the manifold vacuum and is there a need for a tank or just main line it to the engine.

Can I test the motor with an air compressor? Low volume of course.

Sorry to be so ignorant on the subject but first time looking at these things and cant find any schematic. Any help at all would be appreciated.

2. They are vacuum, not air. To test the "motor" one can connect directly to intake manifold.

Ben

3. borpa11

borpa11
    from Colorado

Thanks, as I said I know nothing about them.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

pretty simple, just dig in.

5. Yes, extremely simple units. I've had great success just taking them apart, cleaning them, lubing and putting back together.
    Just pull a vacuum hose off your daily and plug it in to you vac wiper motor. That's all there is to it.

6. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Just be prepared when you floor it. They will stop dead in their tracks until intake vacuum comes back.

7. D-man313

D-man313

The electric ones still kinda suck too. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. borpa11

borpa11
    from Colorado

well, pulled it cleaned it and installed and presto......simple as you guys said. Crazy how well things were made back then. Working great......well, working as they do......a little slow but working. thanks

9. ...if yours works but very slowly, squirt some WD40 into where the hose fits on, shake it around, the leathers will swell up for a better seal, try it again on a vacuum source, works almost every time.

10. borpa11

borpa11
    from Colorado

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Actually, it IS sort of an air motor.........the vacuum is routed to one side of the 'flap' inside and atmospheric pressure pushes against the other die to move it.....the valve is moved by linkage...and vacuum is routed to the other side of the 'flap' and AP moves it again, in the other direction.

Some would argue the flap is 'sucked' over by the vacuum.....others (me included) claim the atmossperic pressure moves the flap in the direction of the vacuum. Either way, it works.

A reservoir tank, with a check valve, would assist with keep the wiper motor going when the engine is under greater load and not developing sufficient manifold vacuum. Or, you may be able to get one the older style combination fuel/vacuum pumps.......common on many cars in the '30s/'40s/'50s.

There are also free standing vacuum pumps available.