Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ah, the stupid things we've done.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Oct 5, 2012.

1. DavidY

DavidY
    from 15102

The two stupidist car related things I've done both involved 1957 Chevrolet convertables. I bought the first one in 1959 and kept it until 1966 when, out of work and money and not having a place to store it, I gave it away to a local 1/4 mile dirt track racer who ran it in the convertable class races. The second one was bought in 1980. In 1990, I was 9 years into a frame-off restoration when my wife-to-be more or less gave me an ultimatum - her or the car. I sold the car for 10K and spent the entire amount on the wedding and honeymoon.

2. I really can't pick out who is stupidest.

3. I'll bet your divorced now too.

4. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

One time a long time ago, I got a shave and a haircut:eek:

5. DavidY

DavidY
    from 15102

No, she's still here AND I got another '57, but not a convertible.

6. Egghead

Egghead

1985,I had a 1965 2dr hardtop chevelle dragcar, 454 0n alcohol. Beautiful car. Got divorced,new wife said , we don't need an old racecar. Sold it to pay child support,etc. Dummy!

7. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

In June of 1966 I traded my '57 Bel Air 2 door post with a warm 283 for a 1965 Honda CL72 250 Scrambler. Then in November 1967, I bought a new 1968 4 speed HEMI Roadrunner. I kept it for about 3 months before my insurance got dropped and the bank said stop driving it. I traded it for a new 1967 Sport Satellite w/383 4 speed. I wish that I had any of these cars back now. Oh, I traded my wife's 1965 289 auto Mustang coupe in on the Roadrunner too.
    Yep, I really feel dumb.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It wasn't my car, but I actively encouraged/participated in pulling the 327 4-speed out of an honest to god, numbers matching, L-79 '66 Chevelle, and replacing it with a 396/glide.:( Still haunts me. If theres a car-guy hell, I just might be sent there when I die.

9. 17yo in 1972, bought a 427 copo '68 Camaro for $2500 from Bob Tindle. Next night, me and my buddy picked up a gallon of Henry Endre's Loganberry wine. Smoked a couple doobies, had some vino, went to 'drag' Broadway. Missed a turn at full throttle, hit 3 parked cars... totaled the Camaro. Owned it 36 hrs.

10. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

So f&*king stupid!

11. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

cut the roof off my '62 vw microbus, cuz it was rusty. threw it in the gulley and buried it. yes it had the windows and sunroof in it.

12. "Bless me HAMBers for I have sinned!"

Dang, some of you guys have done some serious bad stuff! It's good that you are confessing and taking the first step toward being forgiven, but some of you guys have done some things so bad that I don't think even Gene Winfield could absolve you. Yep, I hate to say it, but you're going straight to hot rod hell when you die.

I'll be thinking about you guys. I know it's going to suck spending eternity driving around in a under powered, smog motored, 4-cylinder, 1980's shitbox. I'll try to send you some speed catalogs or something.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  13. When I was 12, my dad offered me his 1970 Plymouth Sport Satellite. Me being the brainiac I was turned it down and told him I wanted a dog from the pound. Reluctantly, he took me to the humane society and I picked out the dog I wanted. I named him Chaplain. Within a month he ran away an my dad gave the Plymouth to my little brother. Along with the car, he gave my brother the 400ci big block that he built to the wall.

Also... Right after I married my wife, I was offered an all steel, rust free 1925 Dodge Bros roadster body with doors, fenders, deck lid and all glass. It was really in pristine condition. My buddy only wanted $250 for it, but we were poor, so I had to pass. Then, I got a call a week later saying I could have it for $150 but I still couldn't swing it. Looking back, I should have sold a kidney or a testicle or something...

Live and learn... I've gotten smarter though. I now have 4 kids as barter material, lol.

14. Well, in your defense, when you're 12, a dog is more important than a car (and it should be). It sucks he ran away though.

As far as the Dodge, I've been poor too and it's all relative. If ya don't have the money, it might as well be a million bucks he was asking, right? I know, that sucks too.

15. Oh, man....my body man was with me when this happened and he NEVER lets me live it down. It was about 1990 or so and we were at a rod run in far western Nebraska when a local dude asks me to come to his house to look at this 49 Olds coupe. It had a '57 Olds J-2 motor against the original but built 4 speed hydro and the guy had been kicked off the local drag strip becuase he wouldn't let them tear it down to prove it was just a stocker. He was beating everybody in his class and when he wouldn't tear it down they banned his car.
    It sat at his house for years and he offered it to me for 2500 bucks. It was totally rust free and had no damage of any kind..all glass was in place...all trim was in place.
    I couldnt' come up with the money so he calls me a month later and says I can have it for 15 hundred..
    I passed.
    Living in Portland,in the mid 70s I came up with the world's cherriest 62 bel air 2 door sedan..low mileage, 283, 3 speed stick in Red with red cloth interior.
    I drove it for a few months and got tired of it. Its' one of those cars I don't remember what ever happened to it..like my old black 56 ford vicky with 312, automatic..can't remember what ever happened to it either.
    DUH!

16. urbanriot

urbanriot

Bought a v12 E type Jag for £50 ragged it about till I realised how juicy they were and scrapped it for £40 a month later - walked away thinking I had done Ok.

Banger raced so many old Austins - I love them old cars now and you never see them over here because they were such good banger racing cars.

Bought a 1959 107E Ford - for the dash - scrapped the car the same day.

The list goes on - I just wish I had known back then what I know now.

17. Cut my willys up that was an ex- no name gas car and pro street-ed it some 25 years ago. Now scrounging the parts to put it back.
    If I would have listened to the wife it would still be the way I bought it. But what does she know. 1978 When we needed a second vehicle I sold a 68 kr shelby to buy it. She said she will drive the shelby to work till we can get another one. It was winter no one puts winter tires on a shelby.
    Here's Your Sign!

18. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Still married? Happily?