Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects After 25 years it's time

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Old cars don't leak oil there marking there territory .(Grin) Nice hot rod. There was a post here by a fella who was a hot rod parts dealer about rebuilding your type of transmission .
    The main part of the rebuild was finding NOS parts as the after market parts were out of tolerance.
    I do not know how to search for such a post but, It would be a great read for you. The hard part was finding sycro's.

Hudson31 likes this.
  2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Well I finally got back to work on her today. Ran a compression check.. 140-152 on all cylinders which was higher than I expected. Tried a leak down test but was getting huge numbers... on a cold engine that hasn't run in 6 months I expected bad but my leak downs were 25-46%

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  3. Jeff34

Jeff34

Get the new Vern Tardel book. It's a great reference.
    Love the car. I'm not a huge fan of the green, but it ain't my car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Wow... 25 years with modern oil.. what a difference from when we take them apart! 20170218_184322.jpg

kidcampbell71, Jet96 and Denns1989 like this.
  5. elgringo71

elgringo71

Let's hear little about that 32 that you bought when you were 14 years old and hopefully see some pictures of it too.

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Here's the 32 as it sits right now... second pic is the beginnings of the Carson top hanging on the wall.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. elgringo71

elgringo71

Very cool, you did great to hold onto it for all of these years. It looks very solid.

8. It is great to see an old hot rod passed down to the next generation and beyond. A great period build for 1992 - most guys I knew were into street rods, glitz, and glitter. With the history you have had with the car I know you will do it justice ....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

She was literally my first love.. some things you just promise yourself you will work hard enough that you don't have to give up on them

Hudson31, Mikel50 and elgringo71 like this.
  10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Also.. she wasn't solid to start... it's got patches along the entire bottom.. including a new floor and subfloor. Made patches for the rear quarters.. it was rough cracked twisted and bounced around as an ugly little coupster that nobody would love...

elgringo71 likes this.
  11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

12. Mikel50

Mikel50

On to the next chapter in your roadsters story. Pretty cool ! Can't wait to follow the rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

The biggest relief of the saga.. the gears look good. She was popping out of second gear on me last summer. Feels pretty loose so I'm hoping I just need to tighten it up and put it back together. 20170218_213821.jpg

kidcampbell71, dwollam and 65pacecar like this.
  14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Question about the exhaust crossover ports.. what are your opinions? We put this motor together 25 years ago and put a copper penny in each port to block it. One is gone and the other was severely corroded with a pile of what appears to be rust on top of it... I was thinking about leaving them out this time as I'm sure I'm getting some exhaust heat already in the manifold. I'm a little concerned that I may end up with vapor lock though? It has had troubled restarting after 15 minutes the last few years but I just figured the carbs needed attention as it would wash down the cylinders with the gas left on and the stock 28 tank.

15. swifty

swifty

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

So did i.... when you are working by yourself you make things work!

65pacecar likes this.
  17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I can even handle some of the green, but you gotta trade the headlight rings out for chrome ones! You know, make it your own :D

Great little hot rod! Glad to hear it's mechanically pretty sound. The leakdown test sounds like a problem though. I'm going to suspect with the way the little engine pushes oil out everywhere, you have an issue with rings (and not valves or head gaskets). Good luck!

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I think you're supposed to do a leakdown test on a warm engine. At least I always do.

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I've done it both ways.. but on a street motor it should be warm. when I built autocraft VW midget engines I would do leak down tests cold because it was a pain to start them up just to do a warm up and I couldn't do a compression test without a starter! But they always leaked down at 0% with gap less rings...

Given the motor didn't run in 6 months I abandoned that as a viable test after the second cylinder. I'd love to pop the pistons out... hone it and throw in a set of good pistons and rings.. especially since this thing has been washed down with gas a bunch of times. My brother borrowed the car to take it to a show and forgot to shut the gas off when he got there. He realized when he left and found the pan a 50/50 mix of gas and oil! He had to do an oil change before he left! Thank God he checked it! Speaking of which I should get his ass in my garage to help put this thing back together!

20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Transmission is all apart. Looks really good. Need to shim it back up tight with new thrust washers all around and new bearings. Has .026 of play on the cluster instead of .005 to .017. Center roller bearing is roached. Ole man has been hearing a growl in second since I was 15...

Time to dig into Mac van pelts site and figure out which part numbers I need. It's a side shift gear set.. 20170220_185712.jpg 20170220_185957.jpg

kidcampbell71 and dwollam like this.
  21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Anyone know what kind of bearings you get from macs or MVP? ford used really good Timken bearings originally and I'm leary about getting some cheap bearing when I get new ones. Thinking I may run down to my local bearing shop and see if they can find something in a good quality unit?

22. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Took apart my spare 4lside shift box to see if it had better parts and nothing is better than my current unit... moved on to the motor while I order up all the parts.

Think I know why she pushed a little coolant. Heads were only at about 40ft/lbs... pulled them off and everything looks great except I'm leary of one thing... tell me what you think of the top of the pistons...

20170225_164402.jpg 20170225_164352.jpg

23. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

It's great to see current pictures of your car and to know that it's being well taken care of. In the summer of 1994 your car rolled into my back yard where we were having a small car meet. It was a sunny day and Tim was riding in the rumble seat and (I guess) your parents were in the front seat. By afternoon the clouds had rolled in and we had a lot of rain. Some very nice roadsters without tops sat in the rain while people moved into the house. Luckily your car had a top but I remember Tim sitting in the rumble seat as they left to go home. He must have gotten very wet. Good luck on your reconstruction. HFH.

24. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Ha! My parents had a very good time at your place and had a great little adventure along the way. From getting stopped by a weekend warrior cop who wrote them up for anything he could but strangely retracted the tickets later to your great show and hospitality to the rain... and amazingly enough Tim got so wet they managed to put him in the front seat somehow on the way home. 3 adults in the front of a 28 roadster!

25. DaveGoodson

DaveGoodson

I disagree that the green paint should go. I think it is a nice subtle accent.

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

65pacecar likes this.
  26. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I got just about everything with the car.. except the build album.. my father wouldn't let me have the pictures just yet lol... Guess I can't complain!

[​IMG]

dwollam and sloppy jalopies like this.
  27. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

WOW, I was going to include that picture that my wife made including all those that attended. It was raining so hard that we invited everyone there (50 or 60 people) to come into our house. Shortly the power went off, which meant no water to flush a toilet. It was an interesting afternoon. As people were leaving we passed out plastic trash bags for people to use as raincoats on the way home. Howard.

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  28. coonpiss

coonpiss
    from NW Indiana

Hell, I like the color. It's 2017 and I'm sticking with it. Damn nice car you have there.

Attached Files:

29. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

so cool... that's my purple '34 fiver, sort of centered in the poster...
    this poster was trimmed as my poster has a border of tar walkway all round, as mrs. H laid the car pix on a 1936 MA. map climbed onto a step ladder to take the shot...
    wow, triggered my memory of that day... of the 6 mainers that cruised with us 3 have passed and 2 have cancer, [my fingers are crossed]
    made my MODIFIEDS tee last 20 years...
    thank you MRS. H...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

mr. H mentioned rain... bunch of older gents were asking about heads on a '32 tudor they were trying to restore, i didn't think much of it till one at a time the other seniors standing under the barn roof told how they earned their 100 mph patch in that sedan... memory says the sedan's owner could not walk [service injury ?]