Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Advice to get more steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlesincharge09, Mar 2, 2015.

1. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys, I'm looking for opinions and recommendations on getting more steering travel on my Plymouth (the wheelbase is 130" which sucks) I'm using a reversed corvair box with stock pitman arm. I have done some research but each car is setup a little different than mine. I also have a little death wobble which I'm trying to work out but that can wait until I can actually make decent turns
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425339236.172324.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425339248.755002.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425339263.588261.jpg

2. So what's limiting you?
    When you turn the wheel all the way does the steering spindles hit the stop bolts? If so you have what you have and it is what it is.

da34guy likes this.
  3. That steering link looks a little puny, is probably flexing @ speed causing the wobble

4. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

The steering box does not have enough throw to View attachment 2849589
    This is right turn with box maxed out, about 1.5" from wishbone
    View attachment 2849592
    Left turn is as much as I can make it go (I will have to live with this)
    Basically the steering box maxes out before it hits the steering stop bolts

5. Then you need either a longer pitman arm or shorter steering arms, maybe a combination of both. That will increase the distance the wheels turn. But it also will increase the steering wheel effort needed to turn them.

You could get into a scrub line issue with the pitman arm and an increased bump steer doing that with the pitman arm without raising the box mount.

Your attachment links didnt work

6. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Maybe I have misunderstood you but if the travel in the box differs left to right then your pitman arm isn't located on the steering box in the best loscation. You may need to file out the flat land on the spline in the pitman arm (if it has one) so you can set the box at the center of its travel and then install the pitman arm where you want it to go? That at least would even out the left to right travel i think

7. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Pics didn't work, here they are again.
    Right turn and right wheel
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425340654.308717.jpg
    Left turn and left wheel
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425340678.527876.jpg

8. Ole don

Ole don

That wheel base will be a killer.

9. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

I would rather do a longer pitman arm vs the front steering arm due to the fact that it will actually decrease my steering to the left because the tire will come in contact with the steering rod sooner (all due to the dropped axle)
    I don't think I will have any scrub line issues. And I don't believe anyone makes extended arms for corvair boxes.

10. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

The left tire will hit the steering shaft before the wishbone when making a left turn which does make left turns not as tight as a right turn but the steering box still maxes out either way before hitting the stop bolt

11. No one stop solution here
    1 Move the box up
    2 Make the pitman arm longer
    3.Bend the arm over the bones instead of around it.

Or- reverse the box and put the longer arm up, may give other problems as I can't see all of it.

12. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Yes wheelbase sucks! Only plus is a little smoother ride but it was my first build and wheelbase is only 13" longer than stock

13. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

I understand with #1 how it will get rid of bump steer but am not sure how it will give the steering more travel.
    Option #3 I am not following. Which arm are you referring to

14. Looks like the brake line on left could get worn also.

15. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Here are some more pictures if it helps
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425341799.423310.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425341810.740093.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425341823.935066.jpg

16. Those aren't options, you need to do all 3. ( no one stop solution)

Follow the bouncing ball...

You need more travel at the wheels,
    The only way to get that is a longer pitman arm.

A longer pitman arm violates your scrub line, so you need to move the box up.

Getting the pitman arm bent above and parallel with the bones brings the drag rod to center and gives you more left turn before the tire hits.

17. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Ok I understand what you are saying now, thank you!
    I think I might be able to skip raising the box if I lower the front steering arm (to avoid a bad angle) my scrub line should be fine with up to a 2" longer pitman arm
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425342553.915213.jpg

18. From that last pics angle I'd agree that your scrub line wouldn't be in trouble.
    Looks like you could bend the arm over the bone too.

19. walker

walker

Just curious how much caster you have at kingpins? Also, you might be better off unreversing the box, lowering it on the frame, and moving your pitman arm 180* to get rid of that bad drag link angle.

20. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

I would prefer to leave the box where it is, frame is powder coated already (mistake on my part)
    Taking the arm off right now, going to bend it straight (which will also bring it closer to frame), and go from there

21. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

I have thought of doing that already I will be unable to with the way my motor mounts and headers are unfortunately

22. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Alright guys one more thing I just noticed. From lock to lock (no steering arm on) from lock to lock I only have 2 3/4 turns. That seems like it's not enough

23. metal man

metal man

Vicky pretty well covered everything I would have told you to answer your question. I do feel the need to add one thing.... You should not under any circumstances rotate the pitman arm to point upward.
    Doing that will give you a bump steer problem. Your drag link angle is actually pretty good now, and it will only get better with a slightly longer pitman arm.
    The ideal situation would be if you extend a straight line through the rod end at the front of the drag link and the rod end where the wishbone attaches to the frame, the point where the drag link attaches to the pitman arm should be on that line.
    The further it is off of that line,in either direction, the more bump steer you will have. It is a common misconception that the drag link and wishbone should be parallel. Those cars all have bumpsteer, whether their owners want to admit it or not. The only reason it doesn't present a big problem is because they don't have much suspension travel.
    Anyway, enough rambling...do what Vicky told you and it will be as good as it's going to get.
    Also, raising the box or bending the steering arm on the spindle down will not improve anything that I can see, it will only increase bumpsteer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  24. 117harv

117harv

Here is the problem, the drag link is either too short or too long. The OP said it will turn until it touches the bone on one side and not the other. Take the drag link loose frome the box, carefully check it out turning both directions, mark the center of travel on the box. Then set the front wheels straight, check drag link length and make it shorter or longer, what ever is needed.

25. 2-3/4 turns lock to lock
    Or
    2-3/4 turns center to lock

Lets make sure before we tear the box apart. Try it with the pitman arm disconnected

26. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

2 3/4 turns lock to lock. I have a video but don't know how to post it

27. metal man

metal man

Good advice. Point the wheels straight, remove drag link, center steering box travel, point pitman arm straight down, and measure for correct drag link length.

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I tend to agree with your recommendation....provided......the pitman arm is verticle when the box is centered. That is to ensure that movement for either left or right turns is the same, as the effective length of the pitman arm varies throughout it's range of movement.

Ray

29. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

And yes pitman arm is disconnected

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You may be correct, but I am having a difficult time comprehending your geometry. Since, in this car's case, the bones are very near the same length as the drag link, when it is steering straight ahead. It seems to me a parallelogram would serve the OP's interest better than the bones and drag link being at angles to one another. In other terms, the drag link should follow the same line as the bones (parallel), not be at intersecting angles.

Perhaps you can explain the reasoning (geometry) supporting your recommendation.

Ray