Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Aarons 29 AV8 coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Aaron D., Jul 27, 2016.

1. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Aaron,
    Looking good sure like the videos like your right there. Looking forward on the install motor and trans.Keep them coming . Thanks George

Aaron D. likes this.
  2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You are doing very well. Like your ideas and videos. Are you going to use a F1 cross member and F1 brake pedals ?Subscribed, good luck.

Aaron D. likes this.
  3. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
    I have the F1 pedals and Crossmember but I'm still unsure if ill use them or if ill use the 39 ford pedals and crossmember that I also have.
    I stripped the Brakes, backing plates, shock mounts, pitman arm and tie rods off of the 1950 F1 front end today.
    IMG_1478207706.633114.jpg IMG_1478207719.880571.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck and DougO68 like this.
  4. jkski

jkski

with simple tools you have done a wonderful job, it will be a real keeper.Subsribed

Aaron D. likes this.
  5. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I got the 1939 donor car pulled into the shop. I pulled the front spindles off and they look to be in pretty good shape I also started unbolting the motor and trans in preparation for removal.
    IMG_1479000979.821573.jpg IMG_1479000991.407819.jpg
    Aaron

1947knuck and Tim like this.
  6. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

7. I really love the video updates. Please keep them coming.

Glen.

m.ralph and Xtrom like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Havnt watched snynof the video updates but thought I'd click on the most recent one to see what I'm missing. Really dig it!

The quick edits are a neat way to show what/how your doing things and then at the end the quick over view of where your at in the project is nice as well.

Guess I've gotta go back to the start and watch them all now!

As a side note are you going to fish plate that Z in the frame? Must junctions like that I see it done.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Video one: your door issue, look into properly shiming a model A body. I've seen it quite a few time where the door would not shut or line up correctly but upon shimming the body mounts on the cowl they shut!

I don't know a whole lot about the process other than you start at the cowl and work backwards. Hope that's a help if you havnt got it sorted already

10. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Hi Tim, I have found that I'm missing the sheet metal supports that are supposed to be in the cowl panels. Now that I know my frame is straight, when I put the body back on and install the cowl supports I'll try shimming again.
    I'm not going to fishplate the Z, I think it will be strong enough the way it is.
    Aaron

Tim likes this.
  11. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

12. I'm digging the build. Your video updates are a cool way to save on scrolling through tons of pictures .
    Nice job so far. Subscribed.

Aaron D. likes this.
  13. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks Bugguts.

When I bought the donor car I figured the motor would be trash, it had been sitting outside in the car for around 40 years with no carb and open cooling ports in the heads. I figured it would probably be full of rain water. I was curious, so I pulled the heads off. I found that it is bored .060 over with no ridges in the cylinders and has a 4 inch crank. Encouraged, I pulled the intake off and found that it has adjustable lifters. I took the timing cover off to look for cam markings but could not find any. It's supposed to have a 3/4 race cam, I guess I'll have to wait to see if it does. I may end up using this block instead of the other one I have.

1947knuck and greaser like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool! Always nice when the surprise is a positive one :)

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright I'm caught up on videos now :) that segment on the wood in the header area behind/above the visor answered a bunch of questions I had about what's missing on my sedan thanks for posting it!

Aaron D. likes this.
  16. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

More work done. I picked up a really nice Walker radiator today for super cheap. It's for a stock model A, but I'm hoping I can get the radiator shop to put in the proper fittings for me.

1947knuck, T-roaster, louisb and 4 others like this.
  17. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I have been trying to fit a mechanical fan. With the stock 28-29 radiator being so short, it's been a challenge. I tried the generator mounted fan, but it sits way to high.
    IMG_1481139030.541121.jpg
    I have been working on a solution to get the fan lower by modifying the fan carrier and moving the generator over the head, but all the generator over head mounts I've seen are for earlier heads with the water outlets in the center of the heads, not up front like on the 8BA. Ill have to modify the over the head generator mount to clear the water outlet on the 8 BA head. It looks like it may work thought.

1947knuck likes this.
  18. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

Once you grind the welds smooth on the frame, like you did, it looks nice but some of the strength may be compromised. I am not an expert welder, but fish plating is added insurance that problems may not appear later. Hope my $0.02 helps. But good start on a cool build!

1947knuck likes this.
  19. greaser

greaser

You can use earlier heads on the 8BA by plugging the front water jacket hole in the block.

20. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks greaser, I have EAB heads I'd like to use. If I cant get all this fan stuff to work together I may have to go electric fan ( I know, I know).

1947knuck likes this.
  21. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Neatoldclassics, I think they will be fine. I did a test on some welds when i was setting up my welder for those welds. I did some welds on one side only, then beat it with a hammer to see how strong it was. The metal bent but the welds didn't crack. I welded both sides on the step and still have nice wide beads on the inside . Thanks for your concern.

1947knuck likes this.
  22. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking Good!! I know you will figure out this fan Deal. Is that tudor your ride? Thanks for posting.

23. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

24. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Fan placement mods.

1947knuck, Corsa, louisb and 3 others like this.
  25. Mikel50

Mikel50

Look forward to the next update once you have the fan set up completed. I'm running the same motor in my build but set the motor back to accommodate the extra length.
    Great build so far.

26. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks Mike.

1947knuck, louisb, Tim and 2 others like this.
  27. louisb

louisb

Great build! Really like the video updates.

--louis

28. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks Louis.
    A little frame work and engine disassembly.

1947knuck, Corsa, Mikel50 and 3 others like this.
  29. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Spent the day final welding the X member and fish plates in. I also welded in all the holes on the side of the frame. IMG_1484440775.544825.jpg IMG_1484440788.046271.jpg

1947knuck, T-roaster, mctim64 and 2 others like this.
  30. A buddy, @jckc , sent me a YouTube link to your videos. Watched them all. Good work, great project. I'm subscribed here, too, so I can follow along. Thanks for posting.