Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest A Sunday's "play" on the highway --

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SanDiegoHighwayman, May 4, 2014.

1. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

A GOOD day t-day! Temp lower YEA! headed out to help my bro w a frozen sewer cleanout cap -- took tools & a "persuader" bar SUCCESS! Now he kin run the drain snake & git his "flow" movin

Headed out to the "Dusty" [ dog park ] for Shelas romp & dump -- while there, anuther dog park denizen surPRIZED me a $40 donation towards anuther day's "Playin on the Freeway" NICE fella!

Over the river & thru the woods [ Coronado Bridge & Balboa Park ] a coupla times -

come on this young lady w a FT & got her goin no problem

then come on this situation --

fella lost his RR wheel&tire which HIT the vehicle seen on the RS CalTrans gal stopped to protect the scene w her roof lites - -by the time *I* arrived the traffic was crawlin so littl danger, and she had it "covered" so I left --

This spot is where the EMT was KILLED in a similer scenerio a few years back -- I'll never ferGIT that'un ---- I arrived jist seconds too late to give him "cover"

SECONDS COUNT -- Here's one where I WAS in time! You never know!

when seconds COUNT!

08/18/2006 04:38 PM

This mornin, 11:30 am, I'm headed to get myself slicked up by my long time barber up in La Mesa.
    WB I-8 on the RS there's a small white SUV w it's hazards on -- I pull up behind and walk up to the pass side window to see what's up. 2 WFA's w 2 small kids in the back seat.
    They've been hit & run and they got a partial plate # on the SV and they're waiting for a CHP unit to arrive to make a report.
    Minor damage, no injuries, and vehicle totally driveable.
    I suggested that they file a counter report at the station because every second they're sitting there waiting they're in "life threatening" danger!
    They opted to FOLLOW my advice and as they safely "launched" into the #4 lane I proceded to, as well, just behind them --
    AS -- *I* "launched" I was startled to find my rear view totally obscured by the mass of an 18 wheeler that had "drifted" from the 3 lane all the way over so that it was running half on the shoulder and half on the 4 lane DIRECTLY behind me and rapidly gaining!!! Wellllllllll I PUNCHED the pedal to the metal and managed -- [ without JATO ] to accellerate away from the lumbering beheamoth. Then -- as I watched -- the numbskull was fiddling with his cell phone and a clipboard as he meandered from side to side
    I dropped back beside his tractor on the driver's side, GOT his attention w my AIR horns and "read him from the book" on my PA about his potentially "homicidal" behaviour. When last I saw him he was drivin the straight and narrow
    If I do nuthin else for a week I'm GOOD and HIGH
    4 people STILL alive [ 5 countin ME ]

2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Had a *FIRST* [ for ME at least t-day ] Any of you fellas ever come across a 12v negative ground vehicle w a 12 v battery installed BACKwards that RAN that way????
    [ video uploadin ]
    I pulled up to help a 90s sumthin minivan that was dead on the RS of I-8 EB JEO the 163 and in dealin w their problem noticed thea the battery cables were REVERSED on the battery and it HAD been runnin that way till it wasn't ;) I attempted to put my loaner battery in -- W the CORRECT polarity -- alternator smoked !!?? hadta leave em for a tow --

:( anybody seen *this* before?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  3. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Anybody got any clues as to HOW this could be?

4. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Last year's 10-4 Parade in LA that Shela and I participated in -- was fun, but a tiring day as I left El Cajon @ 4am to GET there by 10:30 am -- BEST part of the day -- was I made FIVE highway assists going UP and two coming home -- not to mention helpin git some of the parade cars goin for the parade & keep em goin -- that's why I'm almost the *last* vehicle in the lineup -- to be able to help when one or the other faltered -- most of these vehicles are not "daily drivers" and there were "issues" w batteries and generators - alternators that were strained by the use of the lights and sirens one can see the Merc at various points of the parade -- comin home was TERRIBLE traffic, so we stopped for dinner and waited it out fer a while -- got home bout 10pm -- exHAUSTED -- decided not to go *this* year -- what w the HIGH temps forecast for the weekend neither Shela, nor I, nor the Merc like HIGH temps! -------- hope all goes WELL for you this year Brandon! thankee for last year! GOOD onya! tomas

6. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I never know who'll I'll meet beside the road :)

She was interested in knowin HOW to do it herself for the future -- so I showed her w her jack & lug wrench --

Several cars honked as they passed -- I don't think they was honkin at *me* ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  7. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I got "chased" by a CHP yesterday -- I came over the Coronado bridge -- as i'm prone to do -- several times a day when I'm out "playin" -- lots of interestin things happen on that bridge see my blog fer bridge stories --

http://snowchains.tripod.com/sandiegohighwaymansweblogonli…/

and, as i did my turnaround @ the plaza and launched back to San Diego, I noticed a patrol unit comin up fast behind me -- thinkin I was gonna be in his way, I moved over one lane to the right -- and had an "oh shit" moment as the cruiser came up beside me and slowed -- It was someone I've known since he was born wantin to say HI

so i followed him off the bridge into the barrio neighborhood below where we had a nice chat catchin up -- on leaving, we both returned to the bridge, crossing to Coronado agin -- and well -- Whoa Susanna! I noticed in the opposin lanes back to San Diego 3 fellas out of a compact car apushin it -one fella asteerin -uphill - towards the crest of the bridge -- hadta be OOG - so I did a RIGHT QUICK turnaround @ the plaza agin and headed back to assist - HUGE traffic backup it was causin -- ahead of me i could see a CHP unit lit up and running a break to git to em as well -- when he got TO em he pushed em off the bridge and right back to the exact spot where we'd just had our chat - whereupon I was able to give em some gas -- ANNND some ice cold bottles of water from my cooler -- them fellas were SOME tuckered and overheated from apushin that littl car

8. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I helped a man, up on Mt. Laguna who was out of gas -- NINE years later, Christmas morning, *he* stopped to help *ME* when my work trailer blew a tire in a snowstorm on the I8 near the Japatul bridge -- coincidence?

[​IMG]
    David Lee Murphy - The Road You Leave Behind
    Music video by David Lee Murphy performing The Road You Leave Behind. (C) 1996 MCA Nashville
    YOUTUBE.COM

9. BOY, you never have a dull day do you? Where do you get your engery from?.lol.Bruce.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  10. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thx Bruce :)

July 2012, when I began to dissasemble Beulah to attempt to repair her w parts supplied by some folks here and others as well, I discovered just how BADLY she was hurt and it hurt *me* as well :( I "retired" from working and *nearly* retired from life --- didn't seem to have any energy left to git up & go --

Since then, I've discovered I've GOT the *energy* to continue to go out to "PLAY" [ helpin others ] near every day -- it's exhilarating!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Good fortune smiled on me yesterday, as I'd helped several folks stranded on local freeways thru out the day's perambulatin around --

Notable, was the vet, grandpa, w his teen grandson - stranded on the NB I-5 CD midtown w a blown LR tire -- I didnt SEE em in traffic soon enuf to land beHIND em but I was able to land in FRONT of em down the road a piece, then, back up TO em all LIT UP till I came to a stop a car length ahead where my arrow bar would show OVer the raised trunk lid of their disabled vehicle to help protect us --

Got their situation sorted -- no jack AND flat spare - MY jack broke it's saddle on beginnin to raise the vehicle -- [ I'm surprized it's lasted SO long given the daily use I've put it to ] I improvised a "saddle" usin onea my cribbing blocks -- and completed the assist -- the gentleman had money in his hand -- all he had, he said -- I said "put it away" -- "when you look, you'll find someone to *pass it on* to who'll need it MORE then I" He then said, "in that case, I'll PRAY for YOU" I said, "I kin USE that! thankee -- Via Con Dios

Shortly after, headin home, I spotted anuther vehicle on the RS of the I-8 just past Drew Ford -- in manuverin to assist, I encountered THIS [ pic below ] HUGE broken bolt -- musta fallen off some LARGE truck --

I was unable to avoid runnin over it w BOTH RS tires! :0 whump-whump - luckily, it didn't move or flip up to cause damage -- completed the assist of the vehicle on the RS and trotted back several hundred feet to retreive this from the 3 lane afore it disabled or destroyed someone -- it's on my desk here w an assortment of "souvenirs" of many previous "adventures" of mine "On the road"http://snowchains.tripod.com/sandiegohighwaymansweblogonlinediary/

I'm THANKFULL for the grandfather's prayer!

now, I've gotta git to replacin that busted jack --
    IMG_1094.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  12. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

What a great video . I watched it saying to myself "Hey , there's so & so" and "Hey , there's the car from this show & that show" ... a fun watch . Thanks , Highwayman .

Oh yea , the vid with the girl in the slinky dress wasn't bad either , lol !

14. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

15. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

A right FUN and helpful day Playin on the freeway" toDAY! fella w a BEAUTIFULL antique car was OOG WB I-8 JWO the El Cajon Blvd ON to the 8 -- GOT him GOIN in 2 shakes of a lamb's tail BEAUTIFULL car! he said he had help comin but i didn't want to leave him sittin there - so i suggested he call whoever was comin to tellum he was OK! annnnnd aWAY he went HIS was a leetil newer than THISun

2nd assist was a young fella over from Germany - had a BO on his RR and had attemp
    ted to change it himself but discovered he had no lug wrench

he'd skinned his knuckle jackin it up - -only to be disappointed by no wrench -- just as well, as he woulda never been able to git the wheel off anyways [ wheel stuck to hub ] hadta bring out my 5# sledge to beat it off -- usin onea my cribbin blocks as a cushion so as to not damage the shiny wheel edge --
    spare was low as well NICE kid! asked fer extre cards so he would have more to "pass on"

told him about *this* video since he could appreciate it in his language

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  16. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

September 7, 2007

on the road "to" Vegas As the "Highwayman" -- "playing" on the local freeways -- I had made several "assists" this day -- ONE of them was on the I-8 WB between 70th St - Lake Murray and the College Ave exchanges.

I pulled up behind an older Datsun pickup on the RS and it was steaming. The gal had the hood up and had already located the problem - a small bypass hose had blown. Well, I carry bulk lengths of hose of that sort for situations like this so we proceeded to effect the repair together.

The shoulder on the road was wide and unobstructed so I pulled the rig up beside her truck for better access to my tools. She mentioned she had called her husband prior to my arrival.

As I got out from moving the rig, I glanced back up the road, and there, walking on the shoulder coming towards us, was a man who was a little shorter and a little stockier than I, with long hair, a mustache, dark complexion [ but not Hispanic ] and looked to be in his 40's, maybe.

As he came up to us, I asked the gal if she knew him but she didn't. At this point her husband arrived and I went to talk with the walker.

He asked me if I knew how to get to Las Vegas? I said, "Well, yes but I'm kinda busy right now. If you'll wait over there where it's safe, I'll talk to you in a couple of minutes."

I went back to work completing the repair with the help of the woman's husband -- filled the radiator -- ran the engine for a bit to check for leaks or overheat damage [ none luckily ] and instructed them how to "launch" safely back into the traffic flow -- [ both did ].

THEN -- I turned to the fellow who had waited patiently for my attention and noticed that he was carrying only a large, old fashioned, red Bible and a bottle of water and wore no jacket and only lightweight clothes.

He again stated that he needed to get to Las Vegas and could I get him there? I said that I could give him a lift off the freeway and to the train station. He said that he didn't have any money and showed me a wallet that had a Nevada ID in it and nothing else [ and NO -- I don't remember the name on it, but it WAS his picture ].

Well, to get him off the freeway and out of harm's way and a possible ticket from the CHP, I decided to give him a lift to a safer place.

As he got in next to Shela [ my search dog and "shotgun" rider ] she GRINNED at him and moved over without my having to tell her to.

He began to talk of his travels and having just come from Cuba as I "launched" back into traffic and tried to figure out what I was going to be able to do for him. I momentarily got the urge to TAKE him to Vegas before "sanity" returned and I figured to drop him at the Fairmont exit where he could walk safely.

But no -- he pointed to the 15 North exchange and said, "That's the way to Vegas, please".

So, I took the 15 North and swung off at Friar's Road and pulled to the curb where he could cross to the other side to catch a ride in the right direction safely.

As he got out of the rig, I handed him a McDonald's $5 gift certificate book, some of my "survival rations" from the rig's stock, and, as the skies were looking threatening, one of my "trash bag" ponchos I carry for accident victims.

As I turned to leave, he put down what he was carrying and reached out with both arms and hugged me and said, "Thank you, Thomas".I hadn't told him my name!

I drove up the road to the first light [ short distance ] made a right to swing a u turn to come back and re-enter the freeway . He was GONE! He was only out of my sight for a moment as I turned.

THEN, I thought back to when I'd first seen him approaching us on the freeway shoulder. He HADN'T come from the 70th St - Lake Murray exchange because I'd have SEEN him as I passed, before I stopped to help the little lady!!

Got home, told the wife, she said "Tom, tomorrow's Easter."

--- Copyright © 2005 Thomas T. Highwayman

Read more at http://www.motivateus.com/stories/was-this-an-angel.htm#Ejrk4XLB6OkG9f69.99

17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

video "story" of my day "On the Road"
    today -- several incidents
    Headin out -- My "Witch" waves "see ya later" i go around the block to warm up the Merc before hittin the road --

Gittin fueled up & lettin the folks in front of me know they're missin one "angle" of their "triangle of life" [ brake lights ] -- REALLY important that ALL yer brake lites WORK to protect you as much as possible from bein HIT from the rear!

Cruisin along till I come upon a fella @ W Main St who'd almost lost part of his load - he was cinchin it down w straps, that, in my experience, would be likely to come loose aGIN given the flexibility of that which he was cinchin -- so, I gave him a coupla my large bungees that I carry for JUST this sorta encounter - [ seen too many wrecks caused by periously secured loads comin loose and landin in the road in traffic DO what I CAN to prevent that when possible --

Turnin around @ the lower Mercy hospital employees parkin lot on 6th Ave [ the site of MANY "incidents" over the years ] The Merc can't safely pull a U turn here as quickly as Beulah could, [ in emergencies, i've executed many a "square turn" here to git back to the NB 163 in a hurry ] so I haveta *enter* the parkin lot & back & fill to head back NB on the 163 headin TO the dog park for Shela, I encounter THIS littl lady -- [ you kin jIST git a glimpse of her @ the 4:33 thru 4:40 mark ] couldn't "land" beHIND her, so did my "ROLL-out" in front and backed up TO her -- She was dubious and worried [ I could see it in her eyes ] but tenitievly allowed me to help her when she saw that *THAT* was what I'd stopped to DO, she gave me a nice HUG of thanks annnd I contined on my merry way to the dog park for shela's romp & dump.

Later, I'm crossin the bridge *from* Coronado, headed NB on the I-5 and encounter *this* "situation" JNO the Pershing Drive on -- lead car [ son driving ] is struggling-slowing and following car [ mom ] is tryin to protect. VERY DANGEROUS here as the RS shoulder is only *halfwide* [ some of my MOST *excitin* ,read SCARY! adventures have happened right HERE due to TWO onramps SO close togeather! w mergin HI-speed traffic ]
    I LITE UP! w everything I've got to "cover" and we make it safely, just, to the relitive shelter of a wider RS where ther's a call box as well -- turns out the Caddy's overheatin, low on coolant, so I give em some and advise em to turn ON the heater as well, HOT day, [ the heater will make the *driver* miserable, but , will help keep the *car* from overheating - [ it's actually aNUTHER *radiator* that extracts heat *from* the coolant -- anytime yer car is running HOT in hot weather - turn OFF yer air conditionin and turn yer heater ON to help cool the car ]

I GAVE em water -- filled the radiator - they turned the heater ON and were good to go -- didn't "go" to well, however the driver of the red pickup was a leetil annoyed when they went right out IN FRONT OF HIM! I stayed OUT OF IT as I suspected there might be "problems" based on my interaction w the young fella onscene -- [ I hadta ask him if he *knew* where his "fashion" style came from and what it ment there ? he didn't appreciate it WHY would anyone wanta were their pants down below their hips??

anyways --

END of the day - -back at the ranch

18. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

My day t-day on dashcam video -- was uneventfull TILL I headed home

[​IMG]
    my day -- in video

Saw these guys previously onthe RS of the I-5 back by Pershing, havin the same troubles -- figured I'd BETTER help em afore their haphazard load caused a TC ...
    YOUTUBE.COM
    Like"}" data-reactid=".13.1" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Like · · Share

19. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I don't typically give money to streetcorner - offramp beggers -- I have little enuf for myself -- but -- i'll deny NOone food -- to that end, I carry $5 "gift" cards from Jack in the Box and Mcdonalds that I'll give to folks that appear t NEED sustanace --

I DID sit home for neigh onta a week once this summer -- after giving a legless vet in a wheelchair my WEEK's worth of FUEL money after havin a short conversation w him about *how* he'd lost his legs "over there"

*That* was a real sacrifice for me as my "Playin on the Freeway" [ helpin others ] is DEAR to me! but, his LEGS were surely DEAR to HIM and I still HAVE mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  20. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

21. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

[​IMG]photo shoot in the mountains today --- coming home tonite --

Folks due to be here in the mornin for filmin ---- my Shela's gonna be a star! agin

"She" always manages to git her NOSE in ;) :)

They came

Was a LOOOOONG day

ended up in the mountains --

headin home from there got to help this young fella

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  22. SanDiegohighway man, I am up one on you.I had to winch a van out of the ditch yesterday but I will never catch up to you. lol. Bruce.

23. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

GOOD ONYA! Bruce! I usta, [ when I was younger ] range thru the mountains in winter renderin aid to those stuck or stranded [ LOTSA stories ] no *competition* just enCOURAGEment :) I hadn't *been* to the mountains in a while :( [ price of gas and all :( ] these nice folks are doin a "documentary" bout my life & times and they want to show & tell my story ----- :) I'm honored!

[​IMG]
    The San Diego Highwayman Trailer
    On December 15, 2014 we will proudly launch the series: While I'm Here | The Legacy Project This is a personal passion project that profiles living legacies while…
    VIMEO.COM|BY FOSTERVISUALS
    Like · · Share

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  24. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

25. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

IN the mountains agin today for more shooting ----

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

This IS my out "Playing on the freeway" video music score!

In my mind's eye, I can "see" pullin outta the garage -- headin out w Shela & I scannin the road ahead for folks stranded -- findin em -- helpin em -- and them drivin off smilin & wavin several times thru the score, then, at the end, turnin into our home driveway as the sun sets, pulin into the garage -- Shela and I comin out as the door closes -- and, w the final notes at the end -- "She" and I are asleep on rockin chairs on the front porch dreamin -- :)

[​IMG]
    Acoustic Alchemy - Road Dogs
    Acoustic Alchemy - Road Dogs from the album "Against the Grain" (1994)
    WWW.YOUTUBE.COM
    · Share · Subscribe on YouTube
    • [​IMG]
      San Diego Highwayman
      This "dream" of mine *may* just come about -- jist spent the past 3 days, from "CAN see to can't see" filming here and On the Road for a "passion project" w Foster Visuals -- "She" and I are SOME tuckered! WOW do these people work HARD to "git it right" THANKEE KINDLY! Brent, Tammy & Gerald! It was an honor and a pleasure workin w ya! Stay SAFE out there On the Road as you continue yer life's travels ---

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  27. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  28. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

my day "Playin on the freeway ] yesterday, was onea my "better" ones!

seemed like everywhere I went, there was somone needin help

had a LOT of fun doin so!

first littl gal was havin overheatin issues -- she'd added some oil to try to mitigate, I guess it *mighta* been low - but NOW it was too full --

anyways, I suggested [ since the radiator was full ] that she turn the heater ON -- that helps to cool the engine on hot days -- success and away she went

next was a fella w a broke down motorcycle -- not jus OOG [ Out Of Gas ] he was a sittin ON the GP [ Gore Point ] of the transistion from NB I-5 to NB 163 -- the MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN SAN DIEGO! and where my Beulah was KILLED as well 08'10/11 -- I suggested we move the bike & him to a safer position to await the bike tow he'd called -- we did --

right after the bike incident, I came upon this fella & his perdicument --

OOG because his gas guage no longer functions -- so he carries his own gas can [ one gallon, w the crappy "california" spout -- takes a LOOOOOG time to git it IN ] because of the angle, the car wasn't gonna be startin w just one gallon so I gave him some more -- he musta have been havin a really bad day, cause he got emotional bout my helpin him

finally, I came across this pickup on the RS EB I-8 @ the I-15 interchange --

missed seein it till I was beyond - so I went around @ Waring Rd to go back intendin to go around @ Texas St -- BUT - a semi w an overloaded trailer had crashed on the Texas St to I-8 EB ramp sooo I hadta go to the Mission Center to be able to go round and come back EB 8 -- took a while -- well, things happen for a reason I guess - because, as I pulled up behind the pickup, no one was there -- BUT -- beHOLD! I noticed in the distance, walkin my way, a man carryin a gas can comin fron the direction of the Fairmont Ave exchange where he'd WALKED to git gas!!!! truck was on an angle, so the amout of gas he'd gotten wasn't going to start the truck -- so I gave him more --

THEN -- truck wouldn't start cause the battery was low from sittin there all the while he was gone w it's hazards ablinkin -- he was bummed -- unTILL I brought out my handy-dandy jumpstart box

*he* launched out into traffic - *I* didn't like the odds so *I* went up the 15 to Adams to go around and come back -- AT the Adams off, the black beemer you see passin by me on the bridge had it's front bumper nearly TOUCHIN my back bumper! So -- I hadta SPEAK to em about it -- WTF is WRONG w some people?!

All in ALL tho -- I had a wonderfully fullfilling day helpin others!

now t-DAY, I was a sittin home, my son came over from work on his lunch break and FIXED my issue w my computer that allowed me to post up these vids -- and THEN the mail came -- junk, bills, AND a nice letter, all the way from Billings, Montana w a donation that'll enable me to go out to "PLAY on the Freeway" some MORE! THANKEE KINDLY "Verbal Kint" -- Scott yer onea *MY* "angels"

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  29. I like your style man. I recently helped a gal change a flat after she hit a curb. She'd already called the RAA, but, WTHey.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  30. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

thx man -- GOOD onya Spoggie! ya never know --