Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A/SR Model A Survivor Drag Coupster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RainierHooker, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Kind of hard to tell from the photos but I think that in addition to the very desirable KH wires you also have a 32 heavy axle.

If I was you I think I would clean it up mechanically and run bobbed fenders on the back only per SCTA Bonneville rules. I would also get it registered for the street. The only thing that is incomparable is the rubber and possibly the cam.

2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Yes @Bib Overalls it does have a '32 heavy axle. Uses Model A perch pins and 1937-40 Spindles.

loudbang likes this.
  3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Little photoshop addition of aprons, boards, and lettering...
    ASRconcept1.jpg

...like i said before, I am going to move toward full fendered, but with a stop on the bobbed route along the way.

Stogy, kiwijeff, 325w and 11 others like this.
  4. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

What an awesome looking car! You definitely have some repair work ahead of you but it's really going to be amazing once you get it fixed up.

loudbang likes this.
  5. BALLANTINE SPEED & MARINE ? were did the name come from ( ie RUM bottle) lol @RainierHooker

loudbang likes this.
  6. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

bobbed roof I say bobbed fenders..... judging from the time period I would guess they ran the cycle fenders and a set of kingbee headlights ...any evidence on the front backing plates of the cycle fender brackets?

7. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

That's the name of our little business that hasn't ever really taken off. Someday, maybe after I retire, the wife and I can actually make a living off of what we like to do...

loudbang likes this.
  8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

No evidence of ever having cycle fenders up front. There are some brackets on the rear that lead me to believe that if they weren't running bobbed rears, they were at least planning to.

There are some extra holes in the front frame rails that almost line up with the mounting holes on some early cast aluminum headlight brackets that I have (not from this car).

The fact that the running board brackets were torched off, and then the area was painted over, lends credence to the fact that they intended to run bobbled or fenderless. But, this like the roll-bar/tonneau conflict may have been one more thing that went unfinished in the final iteration of the car before storage.

Stogy, loudbang and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  9. loudbang likes this.
  10. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Here's the headlight stands that I have squirreled away...
    image.jpeg

...which may or may not make it onto this car.

On to more functional business, I got the original voltage regulator cleaned up, new master cylinders in the mail, and cleaned up the firewall in its brush-painted glory...
    image.jpeg

I still have some shimming to do to the master cylinders to get them sitting right before plumbing them in. Also, I'm trying to find original style metal caps for them.

And then we come to the front end. Specifically, getting the wheels turning before a full turn of the wheel. Step one is rebuilding the drag link which has more slop than a cafeteria sloppy joe...
    image.jpeg

And since the well worn ball on the steering arm was welded on, I needed to find a more fixable solution. Enter this old arm...
    image.jpeg

Okay, okay. It's not the original but it is an old one, made with a stick welder, and it was painted black at one time. It fits the bill for me, and uses a standard tapered-seat ball. Now, if only I could find my balls...

11. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

wonder if you'll be able to put the link under instead of on top with the new one so it's not on such an angle...you can just see the spring in that picture I didn't realize it was riding right on the axle I bet a reverse eye spring could be thrown on as a necessary concession to prevent wear on your axle

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    chevygod and loudbang like this.
  12. I think he'll have to cut on the perch pin if he does that. At least I did on my pickup. Though I have a dropped axle, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Chugging along, a little at a time. One deviation from the original 1950s 'quality' is going to be tidy wiring...

image.jpeg

...it's just one of those things that drives me crazy.

14. looks nice, but the wiring is so bright & shiney and new.. LOL... should have gave you the old wiring harness from the 51 Woodie... HA HA ! @RainierHooker

loudbang likes this.

15. My vote too...bare minimum to get it into class.

Spoggie likes this.
  16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Windshield, rear view mirror, a real Street Roadster – Love it!

Here's mine (getting ready to race my new 442 in 1966 at Riverside). We drove them both there – the roadster won -- just a little over 100, but pretty fast for its day.

Attached Files:

17. loudbang

loudbang

See it a bit easier like this

Capture.JPG

brEad, Spoggie, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  18. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

They do kinda stand out, don't they? As an aircraft mechanic, there are just some things I can't abide by. Untidy, wires is one of them. Restraint is really hard.

I was real close to going with cloth-wrapped wire, but since the original stuff was plastic insulated, I figured tat I'd stick with it. After a few sessions of oil fumes and outside running, I'm sure they'll subdue some...

loudbang likes this.
  19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Since I will be in certification classes this weekend, and I can't go to the Portland swap, I blew some cash today...

image.jpeg

Got a good '30/31 radiator that has already been converted to flathead V8 outlets and inlets, because I needed one. And I got an NOS Schiefer/Albro flywheel, because why the hell not.

20. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

And that class is taking your sorry car to school at the strip.

So frankly, anything goes...

loudbang likes this.
  21. Evan , if you have anymore cash laying around... I'm heading down to The Portland Swap... I'll gladly spend it for you on things you don't need (hmm 60 Chevy parts) hahaha:D

loudbang likes this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

loudbang likes this.
  23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

The master cylinders look like the same one on my 61 chevy wagon.

loudbang likes this.
  24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I don't like the way stock '30-'31 hood tops flow 2" below the beltline...
    I do like how this one is trimmed flush with the beltline...

25. what the Easter Bunny didn't drop off that cam yet ?

26. christmas tree

christmas tree

If you are going to leave the flathead in it change the class designation to C/SR rather than A/SR

27. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

The metal caps on those 50s Ford master cylinders are really bad to corrode and seize into place. Having been thru that myself, I'd stick with plastic. Go thru an old Ford salvage yard and you will see that most of those master cylinders have a stuck metal cap, ruined with the middle twisted out of it and the cap still in place.

loudbang likes this.
  28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Most Model A restorer catalogs have new balls for us old guys. ( if that's what you're talking about)
    Project is really COOL ( not Kool , HaHa)

loudbang likes this.
  29. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

No cam yet. I'm growing impatient...

We went over this a few pages back in the thread. By the time the C/SR class came out in the NHRA 1960 season, this car was already retired. A/SR is the correct designation for this car for 1959 and prior, B/SR if I add a couple hundred pounds of weight.

I ended up with a couple NOS caps that are now on the car. It will be a 90% dedicated track car, and it will be living inside, so I am not worried too much about corrosion.

I got them!

30. HRS

HRS