Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Gentleman's Coupe...Bob Hilton is busy again.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Sep 23, 2014.

1. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Looking great. The exposed wood will be stellar! After I finish my truck a 30-31 is my next project .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. fastest32

fastest32
    from austin

Incredible. I will watching this like a kid waiting for Christmas.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Fantastic work. Iz be sub'd. Gary

4. The dash looks great.

5. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Bob centered the gauges around the steering column to ensure symmetry.

Have some mint '36 gauges going in there and a rebuilt 48 steering wheel.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Can hardly wait to see more. tim

7. Are you going to let us in on the color or, do we have to wait... Patiently?

Dustin

chryslerfan55 and 3wLarry like this.
  8. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Well, it IS a standard Ford color from the late 40s through early 50s but not one you will often see on a Coupe or really many cars I can recall seeing on HAMB. I will hold off until at least the frame, and possibly the body, is in paint for the full effect. It is what I think some might consider an odd color but I like it which is what matters and for what its worth Bob Hilton thinks is looks awesome so you can rest assured it isn't hot pink!

Frame will be body color and all suspension in black. Will be running on some mint 1941 Ford wheels I managed to find. They differ from '40 wheels but not so much that most people would notice.

The freshly rebuilt nailhead engine (courtesy of GOATROAPER02) will be body color, topped with a 6x2 Edelbrock running SP tops. For a splash of color a rebuilt Spalding (thanks Bubba!) will sit in front of the firewall.

A slightly distressed leather interior will finish it off. Leather color?...TBA

Tried to keep it simple but with some nice details.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you big tease, you

10. brady1929

brady1929

Hurry up we are waiting patiently.

volvobrynk and jadegrenade 51 like this.
  11. My guess for paint color is GREEN! at least, that's what I'm picturing in my head while I'm patiently waiting:)

Dustin

12. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Subscribed! I've driven my '34 coupe (which Jack and Drew worked on) down to the Lone Star Roundup twice from Cincinnati. It's a fun ride. Maybe we can caravan down in 2015.

13. wex65

wex65
    from WV

The coupe gets a little direction, courtesy of the cowl steering.

steering2.jpg

And as a small aside, I picked up a mint 1887 Victorian Crown to be mounted into the shifter. It will get some custom engraving...Queen Victoria will be entirely replaced by a ...I have already said too much...watch this space...
    coin.png

Those that are eagle eyed will note a subtle difference in the positioning of the gauges in the 36 dash versus the image on page 1... Bob moved them all to the right to ensure they are centered with the steering column. He has an eye for detail.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  14. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Well, the body is finished and off for paint tomorrow. It is being painted in Jersey and should be headed to upholstery first week in January.

The frame and suspension parts will be in paint and frame final assembly started in the next few weeks.

From the body sitting on the floor fresh back from the blaster to this point was 5-6 weeks. Unlike the body, Bob doesn't hang around!

roof.png

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  15. Great build, I'm watching, sure like those nail heads!!

16. Watching now! Am in the build process on my A so this will help for sure. Impressive!

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 11.09.58 AM.png Paul.. The Gentleman's Coupe will be a Raging success with the Hilton/Lombardi Tag team one-two Punch….

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Beautiful craftsmanship, it will be a beauty.

19. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Any more pics of the cowl steering mounts?

20. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Sorry the body and frame are at the paint shop now and I don't have any others.

I will post a detail shot when it is back together but to be honest that wont be till January or February. No more shots of the car now though until Detroit...

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

22. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Yeah .... You don't even get to see it... Lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

chryslerfan55, wex65 and 1927graham like this.
  23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your link to your T-shirts doesn't work.
    Are you still selling them?
    Glenn

24. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Yes.... But I am low on sizes... Tell what you need and I'll pm which design I have left

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Wait to you see the typo I 'accidentally' have them put on your door sills...

When Bob told me it was being painted/upholstered in NJ within a split second I asked if that would mean it was being final assembled in VA...he busted a gut laughing. Told him he would need a restraining order now.

26. Subscribed!! Really nice work.

27. Damn... Damn... an example of talent, craftsmanship and experience that is getting harder to find by the day

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Yes, I got very lucky in being introduced to Bob who in turn did me a favor of introducing me to Tony over at Ross Racing Engines.

Hoping to have a shot of the rebuilt Nailhead Spalding this afternoon which just got a working over by Jim Linder over at Bubbas. The Dales grille insert should be here courtesy of FedEx this PM too. Sunday sees final selection of the color....!

Got lucky in finding a great condition '36 Ford cab waterfall, which is minus the crank hole. That, a NOS '36 ashtray (if anyone needs a NOS ashtray let me know, I have a 'source' that has several) and a nice '48 Ford horn ring went off to chromeplaterjosh here on HAMB last week. Finished items are starting to arrive back. Gauges will be here in @4 weeks from Bob's Speedometer. They do great work but I imagine they will be packed in gold and platinum dust based upon the price.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  29. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

This is "who's who" of HAMB ALLIANCE. Good for you, given credit to some great ALLIANCEs.
    Now, I can't wait to see paint choice, & a YouTube video link of you drivin it like it should be driven...with bugs in the grill!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  30. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Happy Camper, rebuilt Spalding looks awesome thanks to Jim over at Bubbas! He says the distributor had never been run, no arcing at all. Chances are this unit simply sat on a shelf or got knocked around but never installed.

Will get this off to Tony at Ross Racing Engines to add to the shiny bits (intake/SP tops etc) I sent him last week.

I met with Bob yesterday and we spent a while standing in the sun staring at a color spray card whilst his Dog Ben revisited his youth playing with our new puppy...

Bottom line, we have a color! A very subtle Ford color and not one that at least *I* have seen before on a coupe.

The frame is getting the same color this week or next...engine will be same color too. The Spalding will POP on this engine.

IMG_0242.JPG

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014