Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical So What's Your Angle? And Why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 21, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

So What's Your Angle? And Why?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. town sedan

town sedan

I like a mild rake on most cars, but if I had a 1960 Plymouth it would have to drag the tail. The Plymouth might be the newest car to look good that way. Full skirts too! -Dave

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

don't get me started

4. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Tail Draggin' it.

5. belair

belair

Only a few cars can pull off the tail dragger look, and it can be over-done just like the hot-rod rake. Personally, I like a little rake or evenly lowered.

young'n'poor likes this.
  6. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Top chops convey a similar message. Lower in front is aggressive, chip on the shoulder. Lower in back is laid back and easy going.

7. I have always done one of two things I either leave the tail alone and droop the snout (AKA Rake) or leave the ass alone and raise the snout to make it level. A lot depends on what I am working with but it also has a lot to do with what the intended use of the car is.

If I am running the car at the strip on a regular basis and it is not a car that is going to run above 115-120 in the lights then I am not slip streaming at mid tract and leveled out gives me a slight advantage in the staging lanes.

If it is my street car with the occasional trip to the strip then it is almost always nose down. It makes the front end look longer and gives it that street brawler look. Or if it a car that sees regular track duty and is fast on the big end then nose down keeps me from catching too much air, they handle a little better at speed that way and it gives a slight above 120.

You may note that for the most part my decision is performance based. "COOL" is pretty adolescent in my mind and for me form follows function always. Actually I don't really remember a time when cool was an issue for me. LOL

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. I always liked the stink bug look,nose down arse up.

This black & white photo tends to exaggerate the cartoon look you were eluding too but in reality the trucks rake wasn't so extreme. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  9. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

There is no formula. Each car will tell you what looks good. Some Early Fords can stand more rake than others, an Era build might change that. Same with Customs. Not all Forties style cars need Speedboat styling, just as other era custom cars need `California Rake`.....

Of course, some knowledge, study and taste are needed to nail any look.
    Some people think they have all those things and don`t.
    Some people try and fail, some don`t have a clue.

Some days I fall into all of those categories....:rolleyes:

10. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

Lowered with a 1-2 inch rake at the front .... even my DD is lowered with a rake

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My truck has always had a rake to it, usually with a lot bigger tires on the rear than the front. It may go low but a lot closer to level this time around though.
    Lower in the rear all depends on the car and the build.

12. Zandoz

Zandoz

With skirts, lowered but level. Otherwise nose down and lowered. But for my taste, lowered means not so much that there is dragging under normal circumstances...normal speed bumps and driveway transitions. Why? Because I've always been of the mindset that if a car is to be driven on the street, it shouldn't require out of the ordinary maneuvering to cope with common situations. Trail draggers always trigger the thought "broken springs". But as always, to each their own.

As the plans stand now, my T modified/bucket project will have around 6" ground clearance, with a 3° down to the front angle on the frame.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Hnstray likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

At the time [ 1950s] when I was forming my likes an dislikes in Miami Florida as a kid,those around us have a lot to do with how we think about cool car things,even though we each have our own ideas,we can't help but be shaped by some of it. Around our town back then the tail dragers were nearly all guys from colored town,the almost too low all around were the latinos and a rake front down tail up was the rest of us! Just as built stock was grandma{ all though a auto tranny put the car in that class to. There were some very well done cars in each group that looked cool an others very over done to the point of stupid,but was also almost always a way to tell race with out even seeing the driver . We did not have crazy gang crap like I herd about on the wrong cost in LA. So I had the feeling even back then that we all got along fine cuz of love of cars a repect for good work. Point is,I like rake best but enjoy the other ways as well and think on some design car bodys rake is not the best thing.

14. If it's a Hot Rod it needs some what of a rake! That's it!
    If it's a Custom it depends on the car. Either lower in the rear or all around.

15. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I dig a slight rake on a classic hot rod, but what really blows fresh air up my skirt is a gasser. Damn I sure do love them. Whether its nose up slightly and rear normal or down a tad, to both ends being up there - with ladder bars and fender wells it just tickles me silly.

It depends on the car I guess.

16. a4.jpg

:D:D:p:D:D:eek:

17. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

volvobrynk and porknbeaner like this.
  18. That is just bad ass. But while penicillin will cure a case of bad ass it will never help me unsee that. MY EYES!!!!!!!! :eek::p:D

And down the rabbit hole we go.

"Single or in a pair, maaaaad as a hatter. [Savoy Brown] :D

19. Brentphx

Brentphx

That's a hell of a u joint!

20. raymay

raymay

I agree there is no set formula. If I had to choose it would probably be a slight "Rake".
    One goal I try to achieve with my builds is "Flow" using natural and modified body lines in the design. I like them to look like they are in motion when they are setting still. A little Rake always helps with the front to back Flow.

IMG_0403.JPG IMG_3059.JPG

21. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

as for the why??? I was born on lake Michigan, and they reminded me of CrisCraft boats, sittin' low in the St Joe river...

41FordSuperDeluxe likes this.
  22. I like the raked look.

My 53 sits level now but the plan is to low the nose to match the late 50's early 60's feel of the car.

The car now-
    027 (Small).JPG

23. However some cars look good low all around-

026 (Small).JPG

371 Three on the tree car!!

24. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

I like hot rods with a slight rake ,chopped top cars in the weeds and tail draggers.........ok I like them how ever I can get them.

25. Depends on the ride, but overall I prefer a rake. The rake on my truck is a little low in front, but I like it. In my eyes its a cool look ... I'm sure there are plenty of folks that think it looks stupid.

I think it would probably look good with this same rake but higher up an inch or two all the way around.

IMG_0512.JPG

26. All of this discussion proves there are no absolutes, but extremes are ALWAYS BAD!
    Just $.02. Someone or someones above hit on a good reason why we see things so differently.
    Example: I am old enough to remember an almost new '54 Mercury in the
    neighborhood. It appeared to be the first car I had ever seen up to that
    time that looked like the factory had taken the tail dragger look from the street and given it
    to the Merc. That car to me at that time defined the look.
    To this day a "54 Merc is like the top 5 for great looks from the factory,
    and I still love that look for almost any custom.
    I could drone on for days but Hot Rod to me is defined by "Bigs and Littles"
    I love wheels and tires. I can't wait to get a set on my car again and loose the "even look".
    Done

Dick Stevens likes this.
  27. coupe man

coupe man

I'm working on a 56 f-100.It will have a slight rake.That's how I like them.

28. my avatar...........

29. slight rake but not so low you can't get around a rural new england road or driveway.
    DSCF3368.JPG

Hnstray and Tony Martino like this.
  30. Drewski

Drewski