Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Humble Rumble: An A on A Rails.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Humble Rumble: An A on A Rails.

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I too like A's on A rails...

joeycarpunk likes this.
  3. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Damm cool!

joeycarpunk likes this.
  4. Normant93

Normant93

Is that a young Martin Sheen sitting in that A?

bigorangetruck likes this.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Cool car. Still gotta have a '32 grille on it, even on the A chassis, that's the way I like it. My steering box looks just like his, mounted above the rail like that, I wish I could see that up close. Mine was done long before I got the car.

wingnutz likes this.
  6. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jive-Bomber! An A on an A... that's the way, and that be mine one day.

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It has an early 21 stud...water pumps are '35-6 type, but a lot more examination than is possible would be needed to date it. The split bones with torque tube are gonna break, but the tube itself will probably keep that ceremony as a non-lethal learning experience...probably the guy spent his time in Geometry class doodling cars, and missed the actual geometry.
    Note the sociology...the guy is posing with his mother in his new car! I'm guessing that his girl friend watched him turning into a ball of grease putting together junk that was nearly worthless at the time, heard her friends wondering if the emerging incomprehensible machine was a tractor or what, and split. With Chuck, the head of the "Future Business Men" club at the high school, and owner of a 3 year old Chevy four-door with brand new Rayon seatcovers, a "Winky the Cat," and no visible grease.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Aint that the way it's supposed to work Bruce? Hang with us 'cause we are all cool and maybe a bit dangerous, then one day wake and think "Wait, you mean he's serious?"...

10. A Boner

A Boner

Most would agree that on a deuce frame they might look slightly better, might. Is it worth the extra effort to put it on a deuce frame? The answer is yes and no. The time and money you have available will help you decide. Either way, if done right they end up a slick hot rod. If they all looked the same, things would soon get quite boring.

Cool pic....if you can get your mother to smile, you are doing good!

wingnutz likes this.
  11. flamingokid

flamingokid

[QUOTE
    Cool pic....if you can get your mother to smile, you are doing good![/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking :)

12. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Bruce that is awesome and I'm chuckling at this but man you need to get out more ;) "Winky the Cat"...still chucklin' here....

13. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Would that be consider the original Rat Rod? which is cool !

14. That thing is way cool!

15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm guessing that this car was done by bolting together Ford parts in as straightforward a manner as possible, without money for anything special in parts and nearly nothing for hired help...so no dropped axle, springs probably not re-arched, nothing not in stock at Joe's Wrecking Yard.
    Wheel and tire choice was probably dictated by a particular wreck of a '40's Ford that hit the junk pile with four fairly fresh 6:00-16's.
    And--it looks GOOD. The stance, probably something the builder lacked the money to plan or control, is level and the tires add to that solid, straight look. It is a stance we do not see as traditional, but it comes off as more sports car than rod and is easy to accept.
    Take the next pay check to Earl Scheib, the next several after that to Edelbrock, and that would be one hell of a finished car. Put the '40 hubcaps on, seat covers, wash the encrusted grease off of the steering wheel and shift knob, maybe the girlfriend would come back before Chuck lobotomizes her with sheer boredom...
    Hey...was Winky available in short-hair cat for use in roadsters??

kidcampbell71 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

scan0004.jpg The "A" on "A" rails is still about my favorite traditional car out there though. I do love a good '28-9 on deuce rails, but the "A" on "A" just seems so "pure" to me. One of my favorites ever is Brian Bauers' car out of Monrovia. It's one of the five that Elpolacko bitches at me for shooting the same cars every year at L.A.R.S. SAM_6303.JPG

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I love that ^^^roadster.. It's responsible for me using A frames on my builds.. I think it even has a Nova 4 cyl. in it...

need louvers ? likes this.
  19. Exactly what I was thinking :)[/QUOTE]

Didn't they have Cougars back then,maybe it was his ex's mum looking for thrills?

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, that it does.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No. It's a guy posing in his car and hoping for a few more yards to cut, in order to get a proper finish. Rat Rods leave their cars looking like shit because a lot of non car people said it looked cool that way.

jimgoetz and wingnutz like this.
  22. I agree but make mine a truck grill for the true Jolopier tradition.

CAM00243_resized.jpg

What Mother wouldn't smile in a "Jalopy"?

0701071107.jpg

Jalopiers don't mind the natural decay but "Hotrodders" usually moved forward to the finished look.

Guess what photo's fall into these catagories?

0-0--0 - Hot Rods - Nov. \'45 - 2 - pic.jpg
    7e_3.jpg
    662bbb4f1d37492b_landing.jpg
    087.jpg
    1928 Ford roadster in the 1940\'s.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  23. Notice the padded dash on this early rod?^^^^^^^

I love the Sailors Homecoming Hotrod...

A Sailors Roadster.jpg

2551a7fd6e3152dc_landing.jpg

00028897.jpg cCA1A31LF.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  24. Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  25. On the blue Roadster above I like how the pipes run along the frame just below the body!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

26. Im fond of A's on A' (and T' on A's) as it gives them a light sporty look and I would agree that the blue A roadster above is about as cool and beautiful as they get..... bar-none !! JW

27. Agreed. That's what the space below the body is for.

wingnutz likes this.
  28. banjorear

banjorear

wingnutz and patmanta like this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

Is there a differentiation between "on" A rails and "over" A rails? Channeled and unchanneled are quite different looks in my book.

30. Squablow

Squablow

I like the truck grille too, mostly because it's not reproduced. If you've got one, it's real. Here's mine, on A rails (but the body is a T).

IMG_20140824_193926.jpg

Not to get too off topic, but this hardly seems possible! 2 people riding in one of these already feels like a can of sardines.