Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Texans On The Quarter Mile - Part 3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Great stuff Ryan....thanks for posting this series.

3. Ryan & rwd95v - Thanks again for sharing this series with us! ... much appreciated!

4. I've never seen this "Forward Look" version of the MoPar logo ... :cool::

[​IMG]

"Corporate Sponsorship"​

5. Ryan,you assume correct...Eddie was still living Longview,Tx when he brought out that little car...I saw him run it sometime in 1955 or 6 at the Fly N Fish drags in the big city of Karnac,Tx..
    The Fly N Fish was a fly in fishing lodge on Caddo Lake,they used the landing strip for the drags..

6. truckjim

truckjim

Man I gotta ask....Caddo Lake. Is that near the town of Caddo in Breckenridge County? My family hails from those parts.
    Ryan, hope you know how much all these photos mean. Thanks a ton for sharing. Traction was king and not much was available. Love the set-back and high frame (weight transfer). Geez I love this stuff!

7. silverdome

silverdome

[​IMG]

What's this? It looks to be some sort of turbocharged beast with a smaller motor in front of a larger one. Are they using the smaller one to start the larger one?

The picture of the car crashing, is that the '57 Chevy? Upon a closer look I see that picture 36 is a dragster toward the end of the strip, ( Damned eyes, it stinks getting old ).

Also I like the wheel covers on the dragster in the first picture.

Cool stuff and thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  8. grander

grander

Like the old pictures. Thanks

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

10. Truck Jim,,,,Caddo Lake is in NE Texas and extends into Louisana.. very big and swampy..better have a guide to navigate it or your lost

11. pumpman

pumpman

Man, do these bring back fond memories when I was a kid at great lakes dragway in WI. Thanks boss, I feel warm and fuzzy.

12. Lancer

Lancer

Fantastic, love these photos.

13. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

I wondered the same thing. With only 3 exhaust pipes visible, could that be a flathead buried under there with a potvin supercharger hanging out front?:confused::eek:

14. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

Could it be an aircraft engine, like a Lycoming? I have no idea what is in front of it.

15. catdad49

catdad49

Lotsa good stuff there! Eddie loved those Pontiacs, this must have been a precursor to the dual engine/4 slick version. Thanks,Cat

16. seatex

seatex

Kinda' looks like a Lycoming or Swearingen aircraft engine getting turbo boost from a smaller, maybe higher revving engine in the front????
    Okay, H.A.M.B. Detectives, get to work!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

17. Great shots!! Thanks Bob and Ryan for hookin' up the HAMB folks. Outstanding!

18. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

I saw Eddie push start this car and make a "run" on a rural road near my house one evening. First dragster I ever saw in person. I was 10 or 11 years old. His first cars had those distinctive bells on the headers.

19. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

This can't be the last installment of pics. I'm gettin' greedy and gotta have more.:D

20. Bob,a friend of mine owned a Lockheed 10, and we flew into the "Fly N Fish" once for lunch.
    Not the longest strip around......but great catfish!

21. "Kinda' looks like a Lycoming or Swearingen aircraft engine getting turbo boost from a smaller, maybe higher revving engine in the front????"

My guess is a Lycoming with a manifold up front with multiple carbs. Probably 97's.

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

Great stuff,too bad it's over.

23. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Its just a crank driven super charger isn't it? Flat head? Y block?

24. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

This is some incredible stuff from the great state of Texas. RC remind me to show the disc of photos I have that I got from one of my former employees that is all about the Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI. I guess he lived right by it as a kid and the family hung out there all the time and the pic from backin the day of that track are just as cool. Much of it from the pits if I remember correctly. Its been years since I looked at them, but I will find them for our inspection. The time period is a little bit later than these, probably late 60's to mid 70's but just incredible stuff also. Lotsa of Garlits, McEwen, Gene Snow action etc.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  25. autobilly

autobilly

Man, I dig this photo!
    [​IMG]

26. How bout that 5 window with 2 of em filled!

That's a badass looking car.

Inspiration for a future drag car nicknamed "blind spot"

27. pumpman

pumpman

El Jefe, would love to see them. We were out there damn near every weekend.