Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Texans On The Quarter Mile

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Sweet pics!! thanks for sharing them! There are some wicked looking rides there.

3. chickenshift

chickenshift

Great pictures, thanks!!!

4. Tommy R

Tommy R

Way cool! Looked like several of those shots were from Little River?

5. rwd95v

rwd95v
    from Cabot, AR

A lot of the first group I sent Ryan were old Green Valley. There are some from Little River (Temple), San Antonio, Victoria, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Etc. More to come. I am glad to share with the Hamb folks out there.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

7. Thanks for the trip down memory lane...

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Someone please give up the story on the 444 Roadster,..... Wow.....

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Sweet!! I love this one!
    [​IMG]

Thank you Ryan and rwd95v for sharing these!!!!

10. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wait until you see a certain 33/34 in the next batch I'll feature next week... Incredible stuff.

12. Wow... Some of those pictures could have been Fontana, Irwindale or any other dragstrip in any other state back in the day. Hell, a couple of them reminded me of Mokan along the fenceline not too long ago. Great stuff, Bob. Thanks Ryan for posting them.

13. Tommy R

Tommy R

Bob, thank you very much for sharing these with Ryan and then with all of us. We'd love to see more!

14. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Great Pics Thanks You can still get parts or machine work done at Calverts automotive Machine in Denton which is one of the cars in the pics from 1960. I bet the Old guy that runs the place is the guy who was racing the car! I think its a fiat??

15. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, Calverts Precision Engines was still in business the last time I looked and he did have something to do with the car. I think Wayne retired and turned the business over to his son, but I'll bet you can still find him there pretty often.

Well, just got some brain cells warmed up and moving around. The Fiat is Buddy Anderson's Widdle White Wabbit that is STILL around and going strong. Wayne Calvert sponsored it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  16. rwd95v

rwd95v
    from Cabot, AR

Fiat Toppolino is correct. Glad that some of the Hamber's remember some of this. A different place and time. We were lucky to grow up with this stuff. Fun times...no video games.

17. rwd95v

rwd95v
    from Cabot, AR

Real quick...As Ryan posts more of the photos, look very close at the background cars, push cars, T-shirts, etc. They will stir some memories for us old Hot Rodders. You will see all makes, models, and even a pretty girl or two from back in the day. Cat eye sunglasses, pedal pushers, short shorts, etc. Might even see an unfiltered Camel or Lucky Strike behind an ear. Glad everyone is enjoying them. Bob.

18. Ryan,Don't make us wait until next week,,that's cruel. HRP

19. I see a couple diggers that look a lot like Langley's. Was he building cars for other people, or were those cars he passed down?

20. Great pics for sure!! Thanks for sharin' 'em. VIVA la HAMB!!

21. critter

critter

Dang Bob, you sure are an old fart. :D:D:D

Bob's shop is a lot of fun to poke around in as well. And if you're in a jam he will come to your rescue. Thanks again, Bob.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've got some friends that will love this. I'll send them over for a look.

22. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

We lost a great drag racer and an even better man when Bobby Langley passed earlier this year. From Cacklefest.com...."In 1959 Bobby sold Scorpion 1 to Bob Taylor and Charles (Smiley) Sitton. They raced it with a new red paint job and called it The Red Hoss. The car had A blown 354 on gas to run B dragster class. "

More details and photos here...
    http://www.cacklefest.com/Langley.shtml

23. seatex

seatex

Wow, short wheel base feds, cowboy hays and chicks in cat eye's, a Pearl, Grand Prize or Lonestar mixed in, no doubt. I'm with Norwell, more on the 444 '29. BADASS!
    Thanks for sharing, guys

24. S.F.

S.F.

Thats one of the Baddest 32 5w's ever....

25. Wow! learn something new every day! Smiley is a friend! I'll have to pick his memory next time we are at the race track.

26. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Amazing! Keep em coming

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Bobby Knighton, an old guy I shoot the shit with about once a month, would love to see some of these pics. He drag raced during that era and even held some records. I'll see about turning him onto this site again. He seems leary of the internet, but it's worth a try.

One day, I was at his shop, and I was wearing my old HAMB drags t-shirt with The Scorpion on the back. His eyes lit up and he wanted to know where I got the shirt.

28. Ryan Cochran & Bob rwd95v Doty - Fantastic pics! ... Thanks for sharing! ... Looking forward to more!

29. Jeff Norwell (& seatex) -

From my The 1958 NHRA Nationals thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NO. 444
    ENTRY Buck, Bohls, & Miller
    DRIVER T.W. Buck
    CITY Austin, Texas
    CAR '28 Ford
    ENGINE '57 Olds

30. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

All great stuff! I'm glad I'm not the only one to scour the background for cars, trailers, trucks and ladies. Thanks.