Register now to get rid of these ads!

LustreTone '55: Vintage Indiana Drag Pics pt 3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you! Of course the Green Monster was Allison or Ranger powered, anyone know what powered the Little Green Monster?

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Dig the Bad-Ass hammered and channeled 5/W. It looks as though the rear fenders were brought up and pulled "out" (with the mounting holes filled) to essentially create 2" or so, widened rear fenders. It appears as though the fenders were fitted right against the quarter panel surface without all the extra work of raising the wheelwell bead-'function over form'.
    I've got a pair of 28/9 roadster quarters that show evidence of rear fenders being crudely welded on to reflect a full fendered car that was channeled about 6".

Love the fact that the pics are dated Aug 55. Hope it and the cool sports car job survived and are on the street or in a barn somewhere!

4. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Green Monster Jr was 6 cyl Ranger powered.

5. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

The view of the 5 window is absolutly beautiful. I would love to see a side & front picture. Makes me want to go out to the shop & start cutting up my highboy. Norwell there's still time for you to change direction and do this. L .O.L.

6. sololobo

sololobo

Cool, earliest pix of any of the green monster racers Thanx! ~sololobo~

7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I am usually not a fan of channeled 32 fords but in that full fendered coupe is just cool......

8. Thanks for postin' more classic pics!! I love lookin' at the details in 'em.

9. Clevername

Clevername

[​IMG]

Yikes! Talk about open primary! Man's game.

10. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Thanks for taking the time to post this series Jay. Based on the date, if in Indiana, this would have to be at Stout Field, an airstrip on the west side of Indianapolis, which was used in 1955, 1956, 1957 and I believe 1958 by the Cluster Busters car club (which is still a club today!). Like many clubs of the time, they worked in conjunction with the NHRA to have legal 'acceleration drags'.

My late Grandfather raced there on a few occations. [​IMG]
    Additional photos / history of the dragster are located in link in my signature.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  11. flamingokid

flamingokid

Cool pics,keep 'em coming!