Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 to a 460 ford??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Jan 19, 2007.

1. does anybody know if there is an adapter to bolt a 700R4 to a 460 ford. I just put a new 460 in my shop truck and would like an overdrive transmission. I looked into a gear vendors overdrive for the C6 that i currently have but they were $2700 which was just way out of my price range. I'm also open to suggestions if anybody has a better idea than the 700R4

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Lentech makes very reputable AOD transmissions, and have that application available. They are a little spendy, but you get what you pay for. Bendtsen's can adapt your motor to the Brand-X transmission if you really feel you must.....

3. mustangsix

mustangsix

There are adapter plates that allow you to use AOD/AODE small block transmissions on the 429/460. Gotta be cheaper than the GV unit.

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Get an E40D transmission. This was made to fit 460 engines from the fadctory. You will have to get a stand alone controller for this because the trans is an all electric unit. These are a very heavy duty transmission, and should work well for you;)

5. I will definetly look into the E40D, i didnt relize they made some for a 460. I was worried the smallblock AOD would be too weak, it's actually a 460 bored to 472 and built for some serious pulling and i've had good experince with the 700R4

6. I have a 96 Ford 3/4 Ton van with a 460 and factory A.O.D. in it. I put a class A motorhome computer in it and 4" exhaust when it was new. It now has 160K miles on it and have never had Motor or Trans apart for anything. I regulary get 14/16 mpg. 90 precent of the time it moves it has either a 24' Car trailer or a 4 Horse Trailer behind it. I'm not light with the Foot, neither is my Wife. We tow in Overdrive all the time. I half to say it's one Tough Son of a Bitch. Why buy an Adapter?
    The Wizzard