Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 Diesel vs. Gas Any differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by username, Oct 29, 2008.

1. username

username

I have a contact that has a recent rebuilt 700R4 trans for sale, it was originally for his 1983 Suburban Diesel 4x4.

While I'm sure it will bolt right on to a gas Chevy 350, what are if any differences in the 700R4's for Diesel vs. Gas?

Different torque converter?

Any info is greatly appreciated,

username

2. sdluck

sdluck

Have you seen the trans? 4x4 700 usually have a different tail shaft for the transfercase to bolt on to.

3. username

username

I haven't seen the trans yet.

Is the shaft different or is the tail cone just removed to bolt the transfer case on?

4. I read that the 4x4 cases are beefed up in certain critical areas.
    It should be a great base for a car trans if you put the right tail on it.
    Watch for a tranny shop to offer a trade for parts. Those unbroken 4wd cases might be a desirable item.

5. dadsmad

dadsmad

the govenor & valve body are differnt between gas & diesel the shift points for a diesel are real early in a gas vehicle also the output shaft & extension housing will not work in a 2 wheel drive

6. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

The governor and converter are the biggest differences.

If you are wanting to go with a 700R4 the 88-92 models are the best ones to get. The made some internal upgrades for strength and a greatly improved valve body system.

7. username

username

8. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I believe the deisel has a higher stall also.

9. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

6 bolt torque converter instead of 3. 700's had different springs in the valve body depending on the engine and weight of the vehicle. A pickup trans will shift real early and seem harsh in a real light car. The good thing is you can get kits to set it up however you want it for your vehicle. I'm not sure if they are still available, but the old Mr. Shift kits had a bag with about 50 color coded springs and you picked the right ones according to a chart and the color coding.

10. PackardV8

PackardV8

I used a diesel 700R4 in a conversion and it shifted at about 2800 RPMs at full throttle. I experimented with governors from gas V6s and V8s to find the one which worked best. So far, I haven't gone into the valve body - didn't even know they were different.

thnx, jack vines