Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6V to 12V conversion on my 241 Red Ram HEMI...I need help with the power steering unit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RalphyBoy161, Aug 21, 2014.

1. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

So last week we did a 12V conversion on my 1954 Dodge Royal using the 6V wires which are in pretty good shape (seems like the gentleman who had it before did some wiring on the 6V side of things).I wanted to ask "What should I do to keep the power steering" The 6V generators has the power steering pump attached to it but now I have an alternator and want to know what you HEMI gurus did to still have power steering in your old cars. I'm down for throwing it out and using a new power steering unit from like,let's say a 60's car or newer. I'd like to know what you guys did and what I should do to keep my PS

Any help would greatly be appreciated

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A new power steering unit doesn't solve your problem, But, GM cars from the mid '50s were 12 volt systems and used the generator mounted power steering pump. Get a GM P/S generator and use it.

Or, you can mount a different power steering pump on the engine in addition to you alternator.
    That could be done several ways, one of which would be a dual sheave pulley on the pump, one sheave driven by the crankshaft pulley and the other pump sheave driving the alternator. That way you do not need a double sheave crank pulley. However, if you have that already, your options are improved.

Ray

EDIT: I really like Pist-n-Broke's idea best......similar to, but better than, my suggestion.....nicely done!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Might want to see if you can find any information on pressures to see how much difference where will be between the original pump and the new pump you install. This is always an issue with the GM pumps and the Mustang II steering racks.

4. This worked out well for me. Single groove lower and double groove on water pump. G.M. pump and Mopar alt.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.

5. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

Thanks a lot fellas...keep'm coming

what year is that power steering set-up you have there "THE WIZARD"?
    Off what car would that be from?
    appreciate the help

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

On my son's 54 Chrysler we just left the gen/power steering pump there to use for the power steering, and mounted the Alt on the other side of the motor. I think it took about 10 minutes to bend up some flat stock to make the alt mounting brackets. Gene

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  7. Here is a little better photo of the Alt mount. Both the Alt mount and pump mount have been modified to fit as needed.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Take the brushes out and disconnect the wires. Let the generator spin, it won't hurt anything. Don't forget to oil the bearings at every oil change and don't tighten the fan belt too much.

9. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

thanks everybody for your AWESOME help...Greatly Appreciated

10. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I know I'm a couple weeks late. My Royal was 6V positive ground. What I did was convert my generator to 12V and used a '55 Dodge regulator. I told the guy that rebuilt it, what the plan was. I didn't know if it made a difference in the wiring whether it was positive or negative ground. It was all good till it started leaking at the cylinder assembly.