Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Apollo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kickstarter, Jul 28, 2007.

1. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Cool little history lesson. Thank you.

2. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

It's unfortunate that I will not be attending this year. 73roundlight did get several nice pics of Deny Pauls and 2 pics of my early coupe #1008 the 8th coupe built ( pics 6 and 7).

In case anyone is interested coupe #1005 is for sale by the current owner Jack woods, its a yellow 2speed automatic. He is asking 38K for her. It has been posted in Hemmings. I have his contact information if any one is interested

3. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

( year is 2008 not 2003) Some of these were taken at the 1st Car show at my shop that I sold about 6 moths ago to my 1st mechanic. The others were taken at the 1st stop on a poker run later that year in 2008.
    These are pics of my early 63 3500 GT and I'm just itching to drive her again. This car has been in my family for about 40 years. My father took my sister and I to see Herbie the Love Bug in this car when it was black at the drive in movies, talk about being the center of attraction at intermission ;) The 1st owner painted the car Black after he saw one. He sold it to my father as soon as a 5000GT was available.
    My mom remembers the day he brought the car home. The bought it for the going price people were getting back then, $9,000.00. Since the car had less than she thinks 1000 maybe 2000 miles on it, that's what he paid. She then put her hand on my shoulder and said " Son we bought our house a few years earlier for $11,000.00. Your dad told me when he brought "the car" home. "You can ride in it but you can't drive it!"

As far as the number of Apollo 3500GT's. The first 15 or 16 ( best as their memory serves). The early Apollo 3500 GT's had recessed gauges on the dash with a hand formed aluminim bexel surounding them that was soldered with lead. You can also tell the early coupes where as the seats have the built in head rests that are above the door/window line. You can see this in the pics 73roundlight took of Deny's and my car at the 2008 concorso. Milt told me " Guys couldn't get their golf clubs in the bagage area, so we lowered the seat height. "Only the early cars had the tall seats" Milt.The other clue of early coupes is the 45° bevel on the body @ the trunk lid so you could get your fingers under the lid. Milt told me "Its one of the missing cars that we never really knew what happened to it"
    One of these days Milt, Bob Northrup and I will get to gether and document the car. Milt desperatly wanted to drive it but the car was in the estate escrow and wasn't insured.

The Road and Track and other performance figures on these are incorrect, the drivers then IMHO just did'nt have big enough cahones. The shift pionts are as follows at 5500-6000 Rpm shifts 1st to second is at about 40-45 mph, 2nd to 3rd is about 60-65 3rd to 4th is @ about 90-95....

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  4. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

:eek: Forgot attachments .

Not many cars have the logo above the Carrozzeria IM emblem. That is the logo if that band of gypses that hand pounded the bodies over the wooden bucks.
    The Tail lights are Ferrari #12's I had to get a quote on one as someone hit me when I was leaving the 2008 concorso abc cracked the lens. $650.00 for the lens and $1750.00 ? for the light assy. The front amber or clear ruinning light/turn signal is also a Ferrari light. The dash knobs are Ferrari as well, about 250-350 per swith NOS parts still asvailable. Obviously the Borani wire wheel are shared with Ferrari. Problem is that is you tweak one, there is a 2-3 year waiting list for a new one from across the pond with a $2500.00ea price tag just for the forged aluminum rim!

I'm looking for the pics of when this car was new with the black color, stay tuned.

Attached Files:

5. emailbrittny

emailbrittny
    from Michigan

I currently own 2 of these beauts! I have a 1965 Vetta convertible which has been exposed to the elements but regardless I still have in my possession a one of a kind! Well 2 of a kind cuz I also have a 1967 Vetta Coupe. Both of mine are true Vetta's. The coupe is #43 of 58 built in 64-65 titled in 67. It has the Buick V8 with aluminum heads 4 speed. The convertible is parted out, but it has a corvette rearend and the flare wheel wells that accomodated the corvette brakes. Most people find this unappealing. I personally like it. It was a change to make the car perform better. But the coupe is all original..and boy is it peeertty! I love this car. I get looks if I even pull it out of the garage...like whats that. Often confused with a ferrari. Both of my cars have been in the family for 20+ years. The coupe my father bought for parts to restore the convertible. When he got a closer look at the body he restored in instead. He bought this car in Indiana in 1986 and it was 95% restored in 1995. The convertible we have had in the family since 1970 possibly earlier. I have the orginal brochure for the Vetta and the business card stapled to it of the car sales man :eek:). The coupe was featured in the Gran Turismo newsletter about 4 yrs ago. How cool these cars really are and I love knowing there is other owners/lovers out there. I have been searching for at least 2 years for the Apollo/Vetta community and at least I have found a few.

6. Chairmnofthboard

Chairmnofthboard
    from So Cal

7. You can definitely see how this body style had to influence the Datsun stylists when drawing up the the 240Z.

8. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

Right on man! Do you drive it? I log in the 5k miles that hagerty lets me drive every year! I'm trying to get something together with the CA owners for a cruz thru the wine country. there's a guy in LA that has 3 or is it 5 Apollo's?

9. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

Here's a few pics of the wooden bucks they pounded the steel panels over to make the bodies.

My car is in that group of cars in the show room. I'll post a pic of the original sales pamphlet that my dad picked up at the SF Car show ( attached ) It was still in his sport coat's pocket that he wore to that show, folded in half. I think he got the fever when he saw this booth.

I've been talking to a guy who bought the all aluminum prototype, here's a pic of how he found her.

The speedo of the "zero" milage Apollo found in a San Francisco Garage a few years ago.

Attached Files:

10. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

I think the guy is almost finished restoring the Thorndyke Special, I love those black strips I tell ya.

About 7 minutes in....... I think its the reaction my dad had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVey28Xrbps

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The design of the Datsun 240Z has been credited to Count Albrecht Goertz, I say "credited to" because some controversy exists over just how much involvement Goertz actually had in the 240s' design. Goertz has also been credited as the father of the design of the BMW 507.
    The design of the Apollo is on much stronger ground, historically than the 240 as that of the work of Ron Piescia and refined by Franco Scaglione. Scaglione drew upon his design work for Ferrari for the refinement of the lines of the Apollo, espeically the 250 series.

12. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

, Roughed out on stumps yea, Rolled would have been a better term than hammered

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A nice combo of E-type Jag and the much later 240S from Mr. Nissan.
    The E-type's contemporary and the Nissan's predecessor.

14. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

15. emailbrittny

emailbrittny
    from Michigan

16. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

I'm sorry to hear that you had to sell them. I hope they both get driven. Currently #8 is my daily driver and she is running awsome and getting 20mpg average with little throttle burst now and then. I drive her like my father did, like she was meant to be driven

In regards to pimpin paints comments. Perhaps I could have used better terms, non the less I will have to ask Milt Brown next time I see him to get the real skinny on this, and read Paula's book and listen to her audio files regarding the Apollo as she speaks of this topic. This steel is very maulable, it forms easy, if you lean on the body with your hands, you will dent it. leaning on the fendors with your forearms for aany reason will dent the body, that's how "easy" it is. Two "new" front ends were successfully made by one of Milt's panel beater's or formers, I will inquire on how they were made. $3800.00 get's you a new 1 piece fron end, door to door..

17. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

Correction on the the above $3800.00 price. That is for the nose piece only, up to say the headlight area,

Update on the #43 car that kickstarter started this thread about and posted excellant pictures of has been for sale this past year. It is extremely clean. It's basically in new condition. I finally had a chance to view this car at the Russo & Steele Auction. last year and Milt Brown introduced me to the owner. I drove my 3500 GT from Concorso Italiano to see this car on the auction block. The car did not sell , the reserve was not met.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvNr01HjrJA Check it out, Milt Brown is in the cream beret walking around the car.

The car was for sale on BAT for months before the auction for $140K but did not sell. The owner lowered the price to $109,500.00 earlier this year, and is now sold.

There were actually 2 Apollo's on BAT during the same time the #43 car and the #11 car at the time owned by James Taylor the Apollo Registry Historian. He has all the company records and can inform owners of car options, their costs, etc for any serial number car. I know James he use to live near me, however we never got the chance to dice on hwy 9 and I always wanted to. James is a really cool guy. He had 2 Apollos when I went to his house for some documentation of my cay, that was also missing for 40years. The #11 car sold for $75,000.00.

18. troytag

troytag
    from vallejo

19. slammed

slammed

20. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

Bump.. That wasn't spam.
    Troy actually bought that Apollo GT from that garage sale. He sold it shortly after.
    It was right about the time when my #1008 Apollo was in a hit and run accident.

It is also posted on MyCarQuest.com. Mike wrote a few articles about my #1008, as well as the video on you tube driving on hwy 9 in Saratoga.
    I am still working on the car with limited space. I picked a parts car #1064 that I found off a youtube post! It was complete less engine and trans with a wrecked front end. In the weather for 30 yrs.

Sharpone likes this.