Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Despite how bad these movies are, I just love this genre of film (including the bad horror movies of the same ilk). I think they didn't care much about how the film turns out, but they probably had a lot of fun making them.

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So where is that "piano-lipped" car now? Imagine the barn find that would be...

4. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

I agree Comet....many don't seem to realize that when these mid 50 to early 70's movies were made, high tech special effects used today were unknown. They were very limited on what they had to work with film wise. The actors did the best they could with what they had to work with, the scripts, poorly written, the plots often very shallow.....but they are for the most part entertaining.
    I sell car related movies and drag racing movies at car shows, have found almost 200 titles, most of which through people asking for movies that I had never heard of. Only 3 I know of ever got an oscar....but many are very entertaining.

5. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

OMG!!! I saw this on "lost drive-in" when I was a teenager!

Best hot rod/ghost movie ever made!

6. 41woodie

41woodie

I have one of the original old lobby cards from that movie. It has the ghost image on one end and the rest of picture is a '32 rdstr that is wrecked in what looks like the Los Angeles River. Neat card, I always get a chuckle out of it. The movies were pretty hokie but it was all we had.

7. Hilarious, I love it! These hot rod-sploitation films remind me of the BMX/skateboarding movies they made in the 80's and 90's. Bad acting, strange plots, and a lot of 'teenage' buzz-words.

Remember when building a 50's era hot-rod, keep it period correct with a creepy voiced piano mouth, talking bird, and flame shooting rear end!

8. Gromit

Gromit

Great cars in that film. another good one is The Giant Gilla Monster.. I own that one :)

9. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Gotta love those B movies....have a lot of them...the "worse" they are the better I love them! IT'S THE CARS.........in the foreground, mid-ground and background......! Never mind the "acting" because there's very little of that!
    [​IMG]

10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

"How's about a radiator cap? How's it look?"
    "THEY look great!"
    ....CLASSIC...

11. 57dodge

57dodge

I was just waiting for Scooby and the Gang to make an appearnce.

12. The acting is pretty lame, but I still dig these old movies. Those chicks are hot.

13. jandiel

jandiel
    from Lillooet

Tommy Ivo shoulda won an oscar!!! Great looking gals, Fast Cars and plenty of action. Don't know if I entirely buy that modern movies are all that much better. Is that really one of Tommy Ivo's rails?

14. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

This is absolutely great!!!! Reminds me of those late Saturday night movies I watched as a kid in the 50's and 60's on our black and white tv. The intro began with, "Welcome to Chiller Theater. Tonight's movie is..... That was followed by screaming. Good times!!!

15. Yep ... Built in 1958, it was Ivo's first dragster ... a Kent Fuller chassis with an injected Nailhead:

Ivo & Fuller Single Buick.jpg Ivo's Single Buick.jpg Ivo Single Buick.jpg
    Ivo Single Buick Cockpit.jpg Ivo Single Buick Headon.jpg Ivo Single Buick Speed Tires.jpg
    Ivo Single Buick Wheelie Riverside.jpg Ivo Single Buick Racing Lefty.jpg Ivo Single Buick 1960.jpg
    Ivo Single Buick Color 1.jpg Ivo Single Buick Color 3.jpg Ivo Single Buick Color 2.jpg
    Ivo Single Buick Color 4.jpg Ivo Single Buick Color.jpg Ivo Single Buick Color Bakersfield.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

NOTE: As Tommy mentioned in the movie, this is the car that set the B/Gas record (9.16ET ~ 154.37MPH) @ the March 1959 1st Annual United States Fuel & Gas Championships in Bakersfield.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

Anyone want to buy an original Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow full size poster? Framed and ready to hang $500.

Such a cool poster, but it's time to update the art in my bedroom.

17. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Got this one on a double DVD pak with Ghost in the invisible bikini recently for $10.

Grabbing up all the cool old hot rod flicks like this for entertainment in "the Grand FinAlley"

Attached Files:

18. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Thank you - I have never seen the movie before although I had heard of it.
    At last I have proof that a fendered cabriolet is faster than a fenderless roadster ;) Now if I could just get a hot chick in a funky hat to drive the LA riverbed with me !

19. PG

PG

this made my night

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I love those old hot rod flicks ! I have a bunch of them myself but wish I could get some more cheap enough or maybe if they have like 15 or 20 of them in a box set . It's fun to sit down and watch them every now and then .
    It would have been nicer if Tommy Ivo would have ran his rail at a race or something in the picture . :cool:

Retro Jim

21. Coachfhs

Coachfhs
    from ohio

Totally frost man, knurly...i loved the way the band members werent even musicians, I wouldnt have it anyother way. My wife wears a poodle dress to all the car shows with our 23 T.
    God Bless
    Coach:)

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Ivo told me they shot that movie in 10 days and was paid $800

23. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Does anyone have any info on the little banger powered dragster?

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It's really funny when drivers in a street race jump from one body style to another in the same race. Hot Rod has great scenes where the driver and his brother keep bouncing between a 32 Roadster and a 32 Cabriolet.
    Lots of these great films have so many clear hot rod shots they are worth it for the "stills".

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Chaaaaaarge!!!!