Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 63 fairlane build **Camshft 1-3 build starting on pg 4**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1twisted1, Mar 30, 2013.

1. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Will really rev with this setup---it's the one in my '40.

2. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Ok well it been awhile since my last post so here an update for ya JeffB2. Started with a nice C5AE block did all the required measuring and got her ready for paint. 2 coats of VHT high temp flat followed up with 2 coats of VHT stain clear. The post will be a video of the car idling from late weekend just open header

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. 1twisted1

1twisted1

next comes the slugs, and that sweet little cam the stated this thread, end play is spot on. All ARP hardware of course with the stock crank and rods that have been shot peeded and the whole assembly was balanced. on to the heads

Attached Files:

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Looking' good!
    Gonna be tearin' up the D come springtime!:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Heads are stock 289 head with 1.84 intake & 1.54 Exhaust valves. intake and exhaust gasket matched. they get the same paint treatment as do the valve covers. Then its off to assembly

Attached Files:

6. 1twisted1

1twisted1

now lets put it together and one final spray so it all the same color. In go the howards pushrods, comp roller rockers with comp guides top off with the C90X intake. Rebuild the dizzy and autolite 4100 1.12 venture

Attached Files:

7. 1twisted1

1twisted1

almost there now make some ford racing wiring fit in an old style cap. Install the ford racing billet flywheel followed up by a MC leod street pro Clutch and in she goes. Filler her with fluids and!!!!

Attached Files:

8. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Attached Files:

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sounds tough as nails!

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds great it will be a shame to have to put mufflers on it.

11. rustang

rustang

Did you upgrade the rod bolts?

Did you port the heads at all, just knocking the humps out of the ex ports can help on these......nice little motor... :)
    Tom

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Check post 65 and post 63....he's built a pretty strong little motor there.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how that cam works....Ive always wondered why a company like Comp,which claims to be the industry leader in technology,would leave obvious power untapped with the Ford and Chrysler's larger lifter diameters....

Scott

13. 1twisted1

1twisted1

I agree!! I'll be running a set of Spintech Performance muffler Pro Street 6000-2.25 so should still really sound good

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Any chance you'll be taking the Fairlane down to the Meltdown Drags?
    Your car and mine might make a pretty good match race...!
    ....then again,that cam might work so good that I need some sheet metal screws to hold my doors on after you blow them off....!:)

Scott

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

That is one sweet sounding SBF! Like I said I'm sure you will be happy with the cam and grinning ear to ear :D:D:D Nice Work!

16. 1twisted1

1twisted1

sounds like a plan scott. maybe we can meet up and run out there together. Might even have a buddy drive my F350 with the camper and drive the fairlane there just cause I'm crazy like that. Did you ever get that lemans cam installed??

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you are really trying to do a sixties themed high perf ford, you should hunt up a set of the orange Autolite solid core wires. Be prepared to pay though.

18. 1twisted1

1twisted1

do you mean like these?? there not solid but are 60 era!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

That sounds pretty good.
    I would drive the M***tang out there,but I'm afraid too many parts would fall off before I made it to Illinois....lol!
    Shoot me a pm if you want to convoy out there. :)

Scott

21. loudbang

loudbang

You did run in the new cam above 2000 rpm for 20 minutes before you let it idle that slow for the video right?

22. 1twisted1

1twisted1

23. rustang

rustang

I did see those posts. Just curious if he did indeed up size the rod bolts (a known weakness in the SBF) or just pressed in the new ARP bolts of the same size. I usually do both.

I did see he gasket matched the heads, but this is not the same as porting the heads.....I agree a nice little motor should motor that Fairlane pretty good....
    Tom

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

I went a little more apeshit on my heads than he did,so I'm hoping that will help my little steamin' pile keep up with his Fairlane at the Meltdown.

I don't know if I'd feel safe drilling stock Ford rods for bigger bolts.I think what was gained in bolt strength would be given up in material removed from the rod.
    I know the 289 Hi-Po had bigger bolts,but they also had a little meatier rod,too....

I honestly think that with the largely stock intake ports and that cam,that motor is gonna make so much mid range torque that you're gonna have some pretty serious traction issues.
    What gear are you running again Shaun?

Scott

25. rustang

rustang

Ask (2) different people what should be done to build an engine, and it is a guarantee you will get (2) different answers, and maybe (1) more idea or opinion.... I raced small block fords back in the late '70s and 80's on a shoestring, when the aftermarket support was basically all small block Chev.....I've done a lot of bottom ends with 3/8" and even the 11/32" upgrades....never had a problem, though some claimed there could be a problem with this.

Saying this, in the last 5 years the (2) of the (3) SB Ford engines I built were 5/16" ARP replacement, and neither have failed. These are street motors, that have not been babied (I have a 20yo son who is my "tester").... :) so the OP should be fine on his ......
    Tom

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

I totally agree with you there...and my hat is off to you.Being a Ford guy back in the dark days of the 70's/Early 80's was no picnic,was it?

I bet your Son takes his "testing" duties VERY seriously...!
    I would have loved to have his job when I was 20. :)

Scott

27. rustang

rustang

Hahaha.... Scott you know he loves to "test" I don't know if you have kids who are gearheads, but they are fun and carry the torch..

....might be a little OT, but when he was in High School we built an OT car for him, started out as a 302 (5.0) that we built for nitrous.. ran that for awhile and graduated it to twin turbo....car was really, ummm quick....

I should note a good friend of mine is a county Sheriffs deputy, he gave me a heads up that the State Patrol (which is a constant problem in WI) was cracking down hard on the street racing in our area... after a few "issues" we both agreed, we should remove the twin turbo setup from that car... so it is now down..... :) To be a young guy now with the cars/engines available, what a dream.....
    Tom

PS: sorry to 1twisted on the thread shift...

28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just a little 289 Hi-Po rod trivia:http://www.mre-books.com/interchange/interchange3.html

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Right.The Hi-Po and Boss 302 had nearly identical rods,except one was cut straight across for rectangular headed rod bolts,and the other was spot-faced for football shaped bolt heads.
    These were not the same as standard 289 rods though.The Boss/HiPo rods were a heavy duty,performance oriented part.
    The amount of re-use of parts in multiple applications,or the similarity of parts with minor modifications by Ford is pretty interesting.
    Both their production and "Off Highway" small block parts,and their 427 FE parts had a bunch of recurring part numbers,or changed very little for long periods of time.

30. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Scott car has 3.50 from the factory and the indy profiles G60 are 28" IIRC . and no problems Tom. Rod bolt are stock size just replaced with ARP's. rods are also not hipos. As for the Head they had the thermocouple hump removed a good pocket porting Heads have been opened up to 2.10 x 1.28 on the intake side and 1.60x1.20 on the exhaust.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013