Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 63 corvette split window photos and history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5w32, Jul 1, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

Home run!..

My first and only vette was a '58,no engine or transmission that I bought for 400 bucks.

I had to wait 2 weeks to go pick it up and after loading it up I was less than 5 miles from home and a guy pulls up beside me and ask if the car is for sale and I told him no but he ask if I would pull over in the church parking lot ahead and let him look it.

I pulled over and he got out and walked around the car and said that the car was purchased from his dad almost 10 years ago and he had been looking for it ever since his dad had passed away.

His dad's name was still on the title and he told me to name a price,I told him I had just bought the car and intended to build it but I would keep his number and call him if I ever decided to sell.

He said,If you will sell me the car today,I'll give you 3 grand cash...this is in 1973 and to me that was a ton of money.....I sold it on the spot. HRP

jadegrenade 51 and enloe like this.
  2. 5w32

5w32

does anybody have a mid year vette roll bar they want to sell?

3. Awwww man.....I know where a chrome Hooker roll bar is for your style Corvette. Believe it or not. My uncle repaired a 1965 hot rod Corvette, with matching Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes and roll bar. The bad thing is....I wonder if it still looks so good. It was gorgeous 30 years ago, and then again....weren't we all ?

4. 5w32

5w32

5. I don't think that will achieve what you're trying to do lowering wise. That's the heavy duty spring that will have a firmer ride and better cornering. The longer bolt deal is about it without getting to some serious rear suspension replacement, ie. straight axle rear.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  6. 5w32

5w32

here is the spring comparison, should make a difference! i ran out of time today to finish

Attached Files:

7. 5w32 - your '63 is beautiful. The drum brake threw me, though. Thought IFS cars had 4 wheel discs.

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

not sure but I believe 4 wheel discs came out in 65 maybe 64

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 1st year for disc is 1965. That's a real nice split you got there5w32!

10. 5w32

5w32

i think disc brakes came early in the 65 production, i have heard of a few drum 65's

11. Your license plate frame is far out man!

Dustin

12. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Believe disc brakes were standard starting at the beginning of the model year in '65, however, you could get drum brakes as an option and actually save money (like a heater delete option). There are a few cars with that option out there.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  13. 5w32

5w32

i have had that license frame for 40 years, i had it on my 40 stude gasser for the past few years until i traded it for the 63 coupe

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  14. 5w32

5w32

success ..... i finally got it back on the ground with the new gymkhana spring(7 stack) and the 1 1/2" lowering bolts, it is now where i wanted it , 3" lower than the day i bought it! now...to find that elusive chrome roll bar.

Attached Files:

rodncustomdreams, enloe and Muttley like this.
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

16. RamJet1

RamJet1

Beautiful car! Well done.
    I need to get the back of my '65 down, looks like someone in the past had my springs arched more to clear the taller tires they put back there. Pics in the Corvette Hot Rods thread.

17. 1963 Corvette split.jpg Belongs to a co-worker. Two owner, original paint, low mileage, 4 speed fueler. His grandpa bought it new. Has some pretty rare 2 bar knockoffs.

1963 Corvette split 2.jpg

rodncustomdreams, enloe and loudbang like this.
  18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Did that get the 36 gallon tank??

19. Car looks fantastic! I worry about bumps tho'.. It looks tight around the rear wheel well now. Of course I'm sure you have nicer roads than we do. :D

I was trying to count leaves and it looks to me like the pack you pulled has eleven? The standard pack should have had nine which may have contributed to the altitude.. Water under the bridge now that you have the heavy-duty set-up in there.

Enjoy!
    Dave

20. Not a tanker.

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That's one GEM of a Vette. My late brother had a riverside red '64.

22. So, there I was .......riding my bike down to the local chevy dealer in late 62 to see the new 63 'vette coupe! My buddy, Ken and I couldn't wait to see one up close. It was sitting on the show room floor in dark blue paint and it looked.....well, it was low and streamlined but the paint was blown on the car so dry, it looked like dark blue primer! Had a ton of orange peel and when we looked down the side of it, we understood the shitty paint. That car had waves in the body work and the panel fit was way off.....
    Years later I bought a 64 coupe with a 360 HP 327 from a 66 and the body work was a lot better than that new '63 64vette1972.jpg but still a little wavy. I sent it in to the local "vette body man and he had the car 6 weeks, blocking and sanding. He changed the color from red to black for me and when I got it back, it was perfect! Loved that car

enloe and jadegrenade 51 like this.
  23. Sounds like you got a couple of bad ones Rocky. Fit and finish was actually pretty good on the C2s for the day - except for the tops of the doors where the factory misinterpreted the measurements for the dies which left the doors taller than the roof.. Had to use some muscle on the assembly line to bend them in and down to look decent.. Oops!

Hafta say your '64 looks pretty fine in the pic!
    Dave

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  24. Wow a Corvette rat rod and a speedster with a sun super tach and a parachute, I wonder what socio-economic demographic that movie was made for. :D :D :D

I'd drive a vette if I could have one old and beat up like that one. ;)

25. 5w32

5w32

got it outside finally (too much rain and freezing weather) , no rubbing issues and looks alot better. i am still looking for a roll bar! anyone have one for sale?

Attached Files:

Paul B and rodncustomdreams like this.
  26. Do you know the backspacing to the wheels? What tire size are you running? Love the look and stance

27. 5w32

5w32

there is about 1/4" clearance to the rear fenderwells!

28. 5w32

5w32

the backspace is 3 3/4" and the tires are 215 70x15

29. 15x6 or 15x7?

Just trying to figure out what i need/want for mine.
    Got a nice magnesium 15x6, 2 1/2" backspacing torque thrust that i want to mock up and see how it fits...but gotta wait for the snow to melt to get the car home to check, damn winter is killing me!

30. 5w32

5w32

15x7 d spokes

that magnesium 15x6 might have clearance issues.....careful with your tire size. i have a pair if you need two more.