Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 62 Mercury Comet S-22 (Engine)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROCKETMAN65, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ROCKETMAN65

ROCKETMAN65

Can anyone tell me what Ford 302 Engine (i.e. type and year) will fit in my 62 Mercury Comet S-22??? FYI... The current six cylinder engine has a front sump oil pan.

2. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Any 302 will bolt up with the correct motor mounts, front sump pan, and correct short water pump set up. Mac falcon parts and Dearborn classics have all the accessories available. But any smallblock pulled from a falcon/comet or early mustang will be a drop in.

loudbang likes this.
  3. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Just remember that you will need to upgrade your brakes and from suspension drag link from a v8 car on top of the rearend that will also need to be upgraded to something larger 8" or so forth

4. ROCKETMAN65

ROCKETMAN65

I'm actually in the process of converting the four lug drums to a five lug disc brake system for the front brakes. I went ahead and purchased the conversion kit through Scarebird. I was also planning on changing out the rearend to a 9". Do you know what 9" rearend fits a 62 Mercury Comet without a lot of retrofitting? Also, what is a suspension drag link?

5. It is the center link for steering that runs between the Pitman Arm and the Idler arm.

6. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Thats what its called center link, sorry. The only 9" that is close is the granada or lincoln version of that car. Im not sure on the width but im sure someone will chine in. thay are very hard to find though. You are better off finding an 8" out of a maverick. The 8" will handle a warmed over sbf no problem and there is plenty of aftermarket to build them up. Check out TFFN (the ford falcon news) forum. They are falcon/comet specific. Ive gotten a lot of info over there, if you can't find it here.

I'm running 67 mustang 8" in my 61, it's tight but it works. I just had to weld on leaf spring seats in the right location.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Should be a fun swap, you'll discover some interesting problems as you get more into it. Transmission mounts, radiators, throttle linkage, other fun stuff. You can kind of pretend that you're doing the swap on a 65 mustang, might make it easier to find parts, but they might not all fit quite right.

8. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I've done this swap also on a 62 Mercury comet sedan. I used all 64 falcon front suspension with new Mustang upper and lower "A" arms due to them being cheaper than buy "falcon" specific "A" arms which they are the same thing. A 9 inch rear out of a 57-59 ford car is the narrowest 9 inch with the ford car bolt pattern. I went the cut and narrow one side of a ford explorer rear route. That gave me a 31 spline, 3.73 traction lock with disc brakes 8.8 ford rear that I can service with over the counter parts. And it is a little narrower than a stock 63 1/2 sprint 8 inch which is the narrowest 8 inch in those years. Depending on what transmission you are using your trans crossmember will have to change. The easiest route would be to go with a c-4/t5 swap mount and adapt accordingly. I'm running a front shift 5 speed and used a modern driveline swap mount and insulator and it fit like a glove. You can keep the front 6 cyl springs but I decided to go with v-8 ones. Headers are a pain unless you go with 88400's or Dougs. I'm running a GT40P motor with a TFS cam and Powerdyne supercharger. The "P" heads made me make my own headers and talk about fighting for room with the shock towers. Other than that, as others have said, it's doable with the right parts and seeing how the falcon had a v-8 motor mounts are available. Ebay a set and then buy new upper mounts and put the used intermediate part on the new uppers to save some cash. I went with a summit brand braided throttle cable and bracket for carb linkage. Do yourself a favor and invest in a good radiator. Things get crowded in there with a v8 and heat can become an issue. Once again, I went with a summit four row universal aluminum radiator and my car runs 185 all day no matter the temp outside. Good luck with your project. One last thing, some have had to "massage" the trans tunnel for v8 bellhousing clearance. I didn't but did some anyhow to make it easier to get to the top two bellhousing bolts.

They recommend you to go to the 65 falcon steering and suspension because the stuff is half the price compared to the 63/64 center link and tie rod stuff. I went 64 due to cutting up a sprint that had everything that I needed.

BART

mcnally351 likes this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

57 -59 I used a 59 wagon unit in my 60 falcon even the spring pads matched.

10. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Newguyoldford is right on point especially on the headers. I had a hell of a time finding headers that bolt in. I bought the patriot ones, they are very tight, I took them out. Too much rubbingI have heard good things about dougs, but very pricey. Like he said it helps if you have a v8 donor car because it does start to add up on the small stuff. Looking back on my project, I wish I saved the money and did a mustang 2 front suspension conversion after all the time and headaches. Keep us posted!

11. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks Mcnally351. Dougs are very pricey. First time making headers and they sure don't look as good as some on here but they are functional. I cut up two sets of Hooker Super comps for a fox mustang to make one set of headers for mine. They were laying around from a long removed 5.0 car I had. I think I am doing a mustang II front on my son's car seeing how we are leaning towards a Coyote 5.0 and 6 speed. But I will still do the explorer rear swap in a second even with that swap. Best bang for the buck. The pick and pulls have them there like fire wood and I can usually get them for $120 complete even after stealing another short side axle and sliding it in to make it look like an unaltered rear when carrying it out. I would like to see if you could PM me on some help with a blowthrough setup. I'm running the GT40P setup with a 150 shot nitrous plate system as of now. The Powerdyne isn't installed yet due to some questions about blowthrough and didn't know if you could help me out. I saw over on TFFN that your twin turbo setup is EFI. Thanks.

12. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Coyote + 6 speed is a dream set-up. Thats no problem i will pm you after work, In the mean time bookmark hanger18.com and the turboforums.com, great sites. I will let you know how i did mine too-

13. ROCKETMAN65

ROCKETMAN65

Gents,
    I'm installing a 302 Engine in my 62 Mercury Comet S-22 along with a Heidt's Mustang II IFS System. The shock towers, springs and shocks will be removed/discarded once the IFS System is installed in the car. Can anyone tell me if mid length or full length headers will fit in the engine bay? If so, what brand?

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

This one 20180409_201413.jpg will. Would need a front sump pan, but it would get your attention.

15. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

ROCKETMAN65, my tubbed and caged 64 falcon with rack and pinion I used BBK full length headers for a fox bodied mustang. They fit like a glove. With the mustang II front, header options become wide open at that point. Just pay attention to your steering shaft and you're golden.