Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Bel Air Daily Driver Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

carpets in for good.... colors look really light in this pic for some reason

[​IMG]

dash almost finished

[​IMG]

rear seat back upholstered....

[​IMG]

rear seat finished.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

front seat done....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked these up on craigslist for cheap. I my trade them with a friend tho. regardless ill be running a few 6x9s and some subs from an ipod eventually.....

[​IMG]

and say what you will, but I will be runnin some organ speaker grills too. along these lines :D

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

you aint fucken around

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

so the car has been sittin for a few weeks. which sucks cuz its been my daily befor the interior project started. i fired it up for the first time yesterday in a few weeks. cranked slow like the battery was dying but fired up n ran great. now it wont start at all. no click no nothing. all the lights work and i didn't mess with any wiring. ignition switch works in all positions but it wont fire. any other time i had a dead battery it still clicked ? i wont be able to mess with it for a few days so im just lookin for any other probable causes

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Had the same problem with my 62 Impala wagon. Check your firewall connectors for condition and security. You may have disturbed something during your interior work.

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Which connectors are you referring to ? Do you know off hand which one is ignition related? Like I said I havent really looked at it too much. I had issues with a starter wire before. But I checked them and they seemed fine. Ill pull it and clean it I guess

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I have a feeling it may be the solenoid. The loose wire issue was on the solenoid. And it would randomly happen, sometimes if it was tight it was still finicky

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  7. 1959apache

1959apache

if you heat those seats with a heat gun it my take some of those wrinkles out, just don't bake the area too long, move it around.

8. 1959apache

1959apache

the firewall connector between the cab and fuse box is the issue a lot of times like my C10 with a 250 inline 6

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ill try the heat gun trick asap. So I fired it up by jumpin the starter. Both the starter n solenoid seem to be in good shape. Ill check those connectors when I go back down in another day or so. New problem. I now have no lights except the headlights and front signals?????

10. 1959apache

1959apache

Some of the seam isn't folded right on those seats (the back seat on the lower cushion on the drivers side). The key is to do this and put the cover on shortly after and when it cools it tightens up and fits a lot better. There are a lot more tricks than that too, but try hitting it with the heat gun first and find out if that takes care of you

Did you check that plug yet? Unplug it, clean the terminals, and put it back together. Seriously, it is probably that simple. Also, check your grounds... can't emphasize this enough.....

Check out this thread and tell me this stuff doesn't sound familiar:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825182

The fix was a new harness for the alternator, relay, and firewall plug... the wires were too old and shorting to ground through the sheet metal.... It was doing all kinds of weird shit. Also the firewall plug was not connecting well through the firewall. Check it out and let us know

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ill check it out asap. I only tinkered with it for a few seconds after I got off my second job. I just wanted to get it fired up and warmed up. Also would the firewall plug cause the light issues as well ? Is it like one large plug for everything or multiple plugs for everything? Sorry im a newb with older wiring lol

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Green, what you need is a 62 BelAir wiring diagram. I would go to www.chevytalk.org for the diagram. In the meantime I would shake check the firewall connectors.

13. 1959apache

1959apache

The wiring generally goes from the battery to regulator and relay to generator to firewall plug. From there it goes to the fuse box and or the headlight switch

That is why you need to check the harness to the firewall plug in the engine compartment

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ill check and clean the connections and grounds today. If thats not the issue are there any other things I should look for ?

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Love it ...
    Great job...and those years Chevy's have a lot of room in side...(except for headroom) :eek:

16. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I love 62s, looks good

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Firewall plugs didnt look to bad at all. Cleaned em n tried it again. Nothing. Cleaned a few grounds n still nothing. Cleaned the battery terminals and frame ground and I got the light on my temp gauge to come on. The hot light also comes on when cranking like normal. Nothing from the lights in the speedo cluster, fuel gauge, or aftermarket tach. The signal indicator lights work in the dash but thats it. Wiring didnt look too suspect at all. My battery is now totally dead so maybe it wont crank because the battery was just sooo low

Also, I think my ignition switch is messed up. I can pull the key straight out of it in any position. I also blew a fuse at some point for the tail lights so they are now working again as are the rear signals. Its pretty much all dash related now. Any ideas?

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Btw thanks for the compliments guys

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ok so ive been reading and some people claim that if one bulb goes out in the cluster that all of them may not work, also I have no high beam indicator light on the dash and the fuel gauge isnt reading? Could this all be from a funky ignition switch?

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

If you removed the instrument panel you may have disturbed one of the grounds attached to one of the screws on top of the panel. Thats where the ground for the instrument lights is located. That may be why your instrument lights are not working. The no cranking may be ignition switch related. Start at the battery and work your way back.

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Where exactly is the ground at ? One of the two screws at the top front of the speedo cluster opening ( the ones that hold it to the dash ) or the two stamped nuts that hold the speedo cluster to the dash panel itself. Where does the ground wire come from? Also theres two wires that come down from the steering column. Horn and a light wire I believe? Where are they supposed to plug into, im not sure if I have them correct. I tried to get the wiring diagram last night but it wouldnt load on my phone. Thanks for all the help so far guys

22. 1959apache

1959apache

You could just use a set of alligator clips to ground the gauge cluster to something under the dash that grounds it, so see if that will work. I would also take a set of jumper cables and only connect the ground on the battery to the frame and the engine to the frame. See if that works too... that way you get testing grounds out of the way (easiest thing to find as far as electrical troubleshooting goes). Just make sure that you ground it to the frame where it makes metal to metal contact and not through a bunch of grease and or paint.

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Gonna order a new ignition and light switch. Hopefully that works. I decided to do some other interior work to get my mind off the dash and electrical. Made pleated panels for the package tray, got the organ covers mocked up :D and cutout my 6x9 holes under them. Turned out ok for my first attempt at doing custom panels

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Real nice work on the interior. Really like all you've done so far.

25. 4psi

4psi

Great job on the interior. It looks really good.

I am betting on a bad ground wire. It is unlikely that both ignition and light switches took a dump at the same time. You could possibly have a broken wire, so trace all grounds as far as possible.

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

is it true that the bezels on the ignition switch and headlight switch are grounds ?

27. shadams

shadams

Nice car man, funny I should find this thread tonight. I have been drooling over a 62 4dr Impala on CL for a few days now, but the wife wont let me sell my new truck so I can buy it as a DD....something about our new baby and safety...

Anyway, looking forward to some move outside pics...

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks bud. Try to convince her theres more room than your new truck. So much more comfortable for the kid :D

29. shadams

shadams

I was watching Cheech and Chong Up In Smoke this weekend and Cheech has the organ pipe speaker grilles in his Impala....first thing I thought of was your build...haa!!

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

How did those reversed rims fit? I really want some reversed 14s but worried about fender well clearance and have not found anything on here yet.