Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '60 Pontiac Catalina Power Break Booster assistance needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Aug 20, 2014.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well the power brake booster is shot in The Cookie Pusher....my 1960 Pontiac Catalina 9 passenger station wagon. I have called Bob Owen at Owens Salvage in Texas but he doesn't have a replacement one nor does he know anyone that does. I've searched a little on the internet looking for one but no luck. Does anyone make a rebuild kit for this?

If I can't find a complete replacement or rebuild mine I'm thinking "Plan B" might need to be an aftermarket retro-fit. Does anyone have any experience swapping one out that you can share with me? Many thanks in advance!

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is your ride stock? If not maybe an upgrade would be good. If it is stock have you checked with Canter?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Call ABS PowerBrake in Orange, CA
    if they can't help you, no one can.

abspowerbrake.com
    (714) 771-6549

4. here is option! http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com/ they have been around for long time! i have dismantled hundeds if not thousands back in the 80's when i worked for parts reman. company. easy to dismantle and fix.

5. txturbo

txturbo

There is also Midwest Booster. They can rebuild it for you.

6. lots of overhaul kits on ebay under $75! if you find a friend locally i would be glad to provide some pointers, pm me if you need help.

7. Plootz

Plootz

Boosterdewey in Portland Or can rebuild it for you he did a great job on my 61 Pontiac. When you pull the master cyl off of the booster the piston and push rod stays with the booster.
    Good luck
    Bill

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Lots of good info, thanks guys! I called and number of places one of them being Karps Power Brake Service, family owned. Got a really good feeling talking to the guy. I'm sending not only the booster but the master cyl as well for a look see. I explained I drive the car alot and hate to be without it running and he was nice enough to say he'll give me a 24 hour turn around. $175 for the booster rebuild, $50 for the master cyl rebuild or $80 new. I'll report back how everything works out

lothiandon1940 and Hitchhiker like this.
  9. I've used Karps twice before. Great work, couldn't have been happier. No problem 3 years later. Just installed the newest one from them and it's just as nice as the first one, if not better. I'm certain you will be happy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. .......................................................Just for the record, I think that's Kanter.:)

11. never seen or ate any cookies....just sayin.....