Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '60 Impala rear springs/shocks - what's a good setup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chrisbcritter, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

A friend of mine just got one of his dream cars, a '60 Impala sedan with a factory 348. Some of the work done by the previous owner (amateurishly, from what I hear) included replacing the rear coils, but my friend tells me the rear end bottoms out easily (he lives off a dirt road which can get a bit bumpy). Did the 348 cars have heavier rear springs? And is there a better modern replacement that will keep the stock ride height, and what shocks go well with them? He rarely carries more than one passenger and doesn't load up the trunk (that's what his O/T beater pickup is for). And I did ask him if the shocks had been replaced but he wasn't sure (I have a hunch this is the root of the problem).

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Can always go with wagon springs if you want heavier duty. Those won't bottom out. The original springs are probably just sagging

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Does it set real low? if so springs could be cut. those cars had a pretty soft ride and it should not bottom out.unless he is going all "dukes of hazard" on the dirt road. new stock springs should be fine but like above could go with wagon springs. prolly set a little higher.

4. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try Danchuk or Eklers. They have stiffer springs that also give you a 2" drop and they are pretty reasonable. If the shocks are shot that may be the cause, not the springs.

5. Slopok

Slopok

Air Shocks should cure it.

6. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

I put new shocks with overload springs attached. They came as a complete unit. This was on my 1959 Impala and it did help quiet a bit. Station wagon coils would be another option as metioned above but it will for sure raise the rear height of his car some. Those X frame cars just have a tendency to be pretty soft in the suspension department. Age is not their friend either.

7. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

My friend sends thanks for the ideas - and sent along some photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He says it takes him back to 1960 when his family had a new 348 Impala coupe with Turboglide. When he hears that engine burbling through the dual glasspacks he's 70 years old going on 16.
    Yes, it's a moredoor, but eleven grand won't get you a presentable rust-free 348 coupe anymore.
    He hasn't started on the rear spring issue yet as he's been having the front end rebuilt and now the Turbo 400 the PO put in is leaking, so one thing at a time... The PO also replaced the front fenders at some point and the body man put all four pieces of trim above the windsplit (dumbass!) and forgot or lost the windsplit spears. But that will get corrected down the road.
    Thanks again for the advice!

8. WDobos

WDobos

Use 1964 Chevrolet 9 pass. station wagon with 409 engine. I have them in my 60 SDL. with no problems. If that's not enough add a set of shocks with helper springs for a 75 Cadillac. I have all of this in my 60 SDL. Any GOOD auto parts should be able to order these parts for you.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

New replacement stock springs, and new shocks should do the trick. Unless you carry heavy loads in the trunk, in that case air bags might be in order.