Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john56h

john56h

2. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

Wasn't the "V8" car in the pic on post 110 the car that tried the reverse rotation engine?

3. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

Loved the photos of the "rusty warriors". I hope they'll be restored to their former glory!

4. john56h

john56h

[​IMG]

The V-8 was "Wild Bill" Slater who ran very successfully at the New England tracks. I don't know if he had reverse rotation...but there were a few that tried it.

If you like looking at rusty old race car iron then you need to look here:

http://www.junkracer.virtualave.net/

Click on "junk yards" in the left margin....but beware, you'll need many hours to look at the hundreds of photos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. john56h

john56h

6. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

modifieddriver:

7. john56h

john56h

8. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

John,
    Great article. When and where was that published?

9. john56h

john56h

Here's a recent picture of Frankie Schneider. He's wearing the hat in middle of picture. Also two other "legendary" drivers...Sammy Rogers #225 to the left of center in red shirt and Russ Meyers #5 to the right of center. That's me kneeling on the left. All the people in this picture either drive race cars now...or did in the past:

[​IMG]

Here's one of Frankie's later cars....a Grant King Gremlin pictured at his Favorite track, the Nazareth mile and an eigth:

[​IMG]

10. john56h

john56h

I haven't got a clue..I found it posted on another site somewhere.

Looks to be late 50's or early 60's to me.

11. Here are some pics of my hometown's hero, Butch Jelley from Londonderry Vermont. He was one of the winningest drivers at Lebanon Valley Speedway.
    The pics are from this site http://www.outerchild.com/jelley/
    He was still running on his own $ into the '90's I think.

Attached Files:

12. Remember when I first started to run Lebanon Valley. Butch took me off to one side to have a chat :eek: . It improved my driving ;) .

His kid is running now.

The original Yellow X was owned by Martin Riiska outa' Winsted, Conn. Think he owned a taxi cab company. One of his previous famous drivers was Doug Garrison. He drove a '37 Ford Flatback 2-dr sedan with a supercharged crossfired Flathead Ford. I have a pic of that car. I'll try to scan and post it.

13. Have you seen the new book on the California Jalopy Assoc' yet? It's absolutely awesome! Hundreds of pics!!

14. Look for a new thread for these pics :D .

15. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see a pic of Butch and the "Y" - that's what he was driving when Doug drove the "X" (my favorite dirt car) at Lebanon Valley when (even I) was a kid (l960, maybe?) vic

16. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

This kat has some kind of unbelievable stash! I used to drool over this website a lot. I didn't know so much old racing iron existed. The elements, car crushers, and calcium from the tracks years ago have pretty much wiped out these old war horses.

17. Brian C

Brian C

18. Brian C

Brian C

So I'm figuring you're from up around Chemung NY then.

We're down on the bottom end of the state about a mile or so from where the old Islip Speedway used to be.

Geoff used to come down here and rattle a few cages during the big show along with the likes of Evans and Cook.

Damn I still miss that place.:(

19. Not unless he's got some summerkids (sumer here-sumer there) we don't know about.;) He has 2 daughters I believe, so it may be a grandson or his brother Wayne you are thinking of. I know he was also doing some major helping/mentoring/coaching with the Center's Service Center car from Londonderry a few years ago.
    Glad to see Butch set you strait back in the day....too bad it did'nt take:p .

20. john56h

john56h

21. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I grew up in Elmira which is about 15 or so miles from Chemung. We had a lot of dirt tracks around so that's where we spent our time. Flyin Bryan Osgood was another local guy to have some success in the northeast. Bryan campaigned the 09 for a lot of years.

22. moefuzz

moefuzz

john56h, I truly enjoyed your pics as posted on the hamb...

Thanks for sharing....

Here's a bunch of pics of similiar stuff that I have found over the net in the last 7 or 8 years or so...

I don't know where they came form or who to credit for most of these pics... they just are...

Here's what happens when you mix open wheel cars with stockers..The rules and classes would change soon....

http://moes-garage.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaHandler=TWljcm9zb2Z0LlNwYWNlcy5XZWIuUGFydHMuUGhvdG9BbGJ1bS5GdWxsTW9kZUNvbnRyb2xsZXI%24&_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaFolderID=cns!4FC3316B3CBDCA99!490&_c=PhotoAlbum

It took a while to figure out the high banked oval......

http://moes-garage.spaces.live.com/...11_PhotoAlbum_addCommentFocus=0&_c=PhotoAlbum

And kiss a couple hundred thousand $$$,$$$ gooobye..

http://moes-garage.spaces.live.com/...lderID=cns!4FC3316B3CBDCA99!893&_c=PhotoAlbum

Last but not least,
    Wreck 'em if ya got 'em...

http://moes-garage.spaces.live.com/...lderID=cns!4FC3316B3CBDCA99!501&_c=PhotoAlbum

23. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

The 666 was a great car that can to its end in a garage fire with killed some of the crew. One of the crew that lost his life that night was my cousin. We were suppose to be there that night but we were working on are own car and never madeit. The car we were working on was also a falcon boded. That ran a Nazareth in the sportmen class. If any of you remember it is was the 2 of Randy Bok

24. john56h

john56h

Didn't the entire roll cage get sheared off that #666 one year at Syracuse? I think Wayne Reutimann was driving it...and was un-injured?

25. john56h

john56h

Great pictures!

The coupe #1 in the superspeedway crash sequence is a later version of Charlie Jarzombek's car (white #1 in first post). This was an offset car and in this picture you can clearly see how far offset to the left the engine and drivetrain was (it looks like he had a six cylinder...but it was a big-block V-8 set to the left for better cornering). The driver actually sat a little to the right to make room for the driveshaft tunnel.

[​IMG]
    I've heard that this coupe was rebuilt after this viscous wreck

And this one's gotta be my favorite from your slideshow. Looks like a Vicky:
    [​IMG]

Here's a few more "action shots" that make you wince a little:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. racer5c

racer5c

Here is a southwest version, my step dad "The Golden Greek" in Albuquerque

Attached Files:

27. Roy....here's another shot of that car taken at the Knoxville Nationals in '66 (?).

Attached Files:

28. Yeah, it's an Earnhardt car. I believe it's one of Dale's first race cars. I first saw the picture on the Falcon Club of America newsletter, which was advertising the 1999 Falcon Nationals in North Carolina. I'll try to dig it up, scan and post it.

Thanks,
    Kurt

29. chicken coupe cook

chicken coupe cook

here's an example out of fort worth, tx of
    an early mod from the '60s. story
    is it raced at cowtown speedway in the '60s!

Attached Files:

• car1.jpg
      car1.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
    • car2.jpg
      car2.jpg
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
    • car3.jpg
      car3.jpg
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
  30. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

I can't quote the year, but it was around '74 or '75 when, after repeated rainouts in the fall, Syracuse rescheduled the previous year's Schaefer 100 for March or April. The track was in horrible shape and there was a huge crash where Wayne's top and cage were sheared from Ritter's 666. Luckily Wayne walked away from that one though the pics looked unsurvivable. But as I recall he went back to Fla. and never ran mods up here on a weekly basis again. Unlike Buzzie, Wayne was a teacher and didn't earn his living from racing.

Jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.