Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 60-66 c10 factory steel wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spanky65, May 29, 2015.

1. Spanky65

Spanky65

If you have been looking for a set of factory steel wheels for your chevy pickup with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern check out Dexstar wheels part number AM20514. You can find them on a few different websites, they say they're made for old airstream trailers. They're 15x6'' and they have the nubs to mount hubcaps. I can't find any differences from my original steel wheels. Oh and they're made in the USA! There is a video on them as well, just going over the details of the wheel. When I get home I'll measure the hub diameter just to make sure it's the same as these Dexstar wheels. They come powder coated, with a few colors to choose from. The wheels run right under $50 a piece, hell I paid $200 to get my original wheels powder coated. I hope this helps anybody looking for a set of wheels. Here is one in red, it's a about $79 I believe. Check airstreamsupply.com I'm not absolutely positive these will fit, it says they fit drum brakes that are 10-12'' but it's something worth looking into. 107822-700x700.jpg

ryan-o likes this.
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

much obliged

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. F&J

F&J

Chevy 4WD 1/2 ton from mid-ish 70s to 87 should be the same.

4. Good info. Anyone who loves and old C-Truck needs to know what will swap and is readily available.

5. Spanky65

Spanky65

Do they have the nubs for the hubcaps? I might have one or two from a 70s 4wd because when you flip it around it looks like it is for disc brakes on the backside of the wheel.

6. F&J

F&J

Yes on hub cap bumps. I used them on a 63 2WD with stock drum brakes and small caps. Not sure what exact year the 4x4 started using the 6" wide wheel though. To be safe, I'd say "maybe" 73 with the bigger front disc brake? Not sure if 72 would be 6". The 6" wheels look more "deep dish" from the front side. That's how I would ID them if the tires were still on them at a swapmeet.

The later ones are "radial tire rated" I believe.

7. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I have 4 off of a '74 4x4 Blazer I'd like to sell as I now have aluminum slots for my truck. Located in middle Georgia. Good and straight and need paint. I measured them and they are 6" wide. Blazer had disc brakes. PM me if interested. :cool:

Attached Files:

8. squirrel

squirrel

That wheel in the picture looks sort of like a 1970s chevy 4x4 wheel, but not quite. The 60s wheels looked different in the center. They didn't have a "disk brake" rim.

Neat source for relatively cheap steel wheels! Just don't tell anyone they're for a trailer

9. Spanky65

Spanky65

Whatsame
    Thanks for pointing that out, I'm too dumb to notice. Now I can't buy these haha the reason I was considering these is because they would be easier to reverse because they are wire welding and not spot welded. The wheels I have a spot welded and I can't find anyone willing to reverse them for me. Is this what you're talking about?
    2015-05-29 11.27.27.jpg

10. squirrel

squirrel

Yup. Not a big deal...mostly...but the stock wheels will fit on the trucks that have the drums riveted to the hubs, as original. The newer wheels require grinding off the rivet heads.

Since you're running hub caps, it doesn't matter.

11. F&J

F&J

The old wheels that Tailgater has... the offset, or deep dish, is not like the new red wheel pic. The stock later 4x4 wheels I had, looked exactly like the red wheel offset.

I always looked at how much of the "drop center" on the rim hoop, shows from the front. That is the flat spot on the hoop, where it meets the center hub.

If you look at enough old Chevy truck wheels, you will start to see differences in how much of the flat area shows from the front.

12. Spanky65

Spanky65

I agree not a big deal, but I'm getting mine chromed and it will really stand out then and it would bug me. I won't run caps once I get them chromed and reversed. I'm going for a mid to late 60s look, so every bit counts haha. I guess I'll just send my original wheels to wheelsmith.