Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. TJJ3
    Hey Fellas, excuse the spam... But, The Jalopy Journal #3 is now available for consumption and well... We are really proud of it. If you have a moment, click here to check it out. If you already have yours or if you are tired of seeing this notification, just click the little 'x' on the top right hand corner of this box and you are done.

Thanks!
    Ryan

6 volt trumpet Horn adjustment..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Plymouth, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Plymouth

Plymouth

I got a 6 volt pair of 1940 Plymouth trumpet horns to work but dong so messed up the sound..

I thought or read somewhere one is E Flat the other is C ...?

Which one is which one is shorter than the other..

I Tried to google a sound (cheat sound ) but could not find one (not much info out there on the subject)

Does any one know which note goes to which one and have a demo sound to adjust them to Thanks

2. Like a pipe organ, the shorter one will be the higher note.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You adjust them until they have a clear , clean note. You can't adjust the pitch, just the quality. Set screw on the back, under the bell cover.

Don't do it inside.

4. Plymouth

Plymouth

Short update I spent around 4 hours but I got the horn (I was working on ) to work as it should..

Seems the point adjustment is not much help The problem was the round 2 inch disk .. IT was out of adjustment it was too close to the magnet field..

Once I reset the gap by loosing (the hold down nut) it up , and making a larger gap,, IT made a clear note...

There is no way too adjust the horn for a different tone..

The Point are adjusted too just touch and once its energized it works like a diving board and springs (fast) opening and closing ) making it vibrate..

I usually adjust modern horns with the set screw and makes different sound not these. These have a metal diapram and are preset...

I think my Autolite horns 1940 are E flat and G

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Flatman

Flatman

The notes should clash, making the sound of the horn more noticable, hence the two tones.

Flatman

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You did it right. The set screw is what I was referring to.