Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '59 Thunderbird Radical Custom build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 22, 2013.

1. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

2. This is going to be great! Perfect choice for the paint scheme.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm usually the guy bitching about black, and the general lack of colour in modern day "traditional" hot rodding, but I REALLY like this. JMO, but the two-tone green just totally guts any "racer" theme that's present in this car, and is going to go 180 degrees against the theme that the wheels and other elements are trying to set up. The Hirohita car is so iconic that when you see that paint scheme, your brain automatically defaults to "CUSTOM".
    The two tone silver Brian describes would be good as well.

Bill Blakeley likes this.
  4. I like the black as well, but I understand how negative comments and overuse can set you against a paint scheme, even if you like it personally. I own an (off topic) '72 El Camino SS that was Cranberry Red w/ Black SS stripes for many years. It needs a repaint now, and although I love the red paint scheme (I missed a chance to buy a '70 Chevelle SS 396 car for $500 ( (with a rod knock) back in the early 80's, and wanted one ever since!), I'm so tired of being one of the sea of red w/ black stripe cars, that I'm considering going back to the original Dark (Hunter) Green Metallic w/ White stripes (even though I hated that color most of my life!). It has started to grow on me some in my older age, I guess. I was going to paint it Sunset Orange Metallic w/ Black stripes, but someone here in town beat me to it. Even though I believe I could do a "MUCH" better job than they did, I don't want people think I "copied" their idea.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's so true. I really liked James D's sinister black rendition of my car, in fact I love it, that incorperates all the subtle but extensive changes to the body, but in my mind, I can hear people calling it the bat mobile, and I'm over that. I don't mind losing the "race car" theme if the full on custom look can be pulled off with wrapped bumpers if it works. I'll be happy with the car seen as a custom, if it means the Salt Flat wheels end up on the hot rod, I can live with wide whites and caps on the 'bird!

6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

James D - Can you do another version with the colors reversed?

7. Gold with black stripes? I could take a look. Though you start to go toward muscle car colour schemes.

8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Maybe pagan gold would shift it a little more toward the custom end of the spectrum...

9. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Maybe pagan gold would shift it a little more toward the custom end of the spectrum...

10. Gold with white stripes could work. That's quite fifties looking.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  11. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

12. Brian, sounds like it would be a real good idea to do the bumper wraps before spraying paint.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  13. 'Mo

'Mo

Do ya think?

[​IMG]

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Oh great, I can't un-see that! Hahahahahahahaha...

OahuEli and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444269907.355550.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444269924.388427.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444269943.623149.jpg

I've decided a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle tribute is the way to go! Just kidding, my buddy in the sign shop had this left over wrap to practice with. Looks like a " Go" for chrome wrap, so none of you can ride about painted bumpers!

AndersF likes this.
  16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It looks "grainy" because I didn't have time to block the 40 grit sanding scratches, re-prime, and finish paint them. Like paint and chrome, it's all in the prep...

17. Torchie

Torchie

I am glad that you are going to go with Chrome on the bumpers. Chrome just really seems to make any color paint pop more. Especially dark colors.
    How well will that chrome wrap hold up under normal driving conditions? Could be a great solution to the expense of chroming bumpers as well as chopped garnish mouldings, Dashes, ect.. Looking forward to seeing them done.
    Torchie

loudbang likes this.
  18. I hate to be a wet blanket, but I haven't seen a fake chrome yet that doesn't look, well, fake. I've personally tried two paints and powdercoat, none looked like chrome; more like polished aluminum with a milky overtone. They photograph much better than they look in person. Not durable either, which only increased the disappointment....

19. millersgarage

millersgarage

Looks legit to me

Attached Files:

20. JBurt

JBurt

What Brian is doing is different than what you are both referring to.
    @FlynBrian - Looking forward to how your bumpers end up. I've been looking into the same as you are doing on an OT car I'm working on. I figure I could replace the skin a bunch of times for what it would cost to chrome what I want.

21. millersgarage

millersgarage

I googled "chrome vehicle wrap" and that is one of the photos that came up, not sure how he will be doing it any different @JBurt

22. Brian wrapping the bumpers is a great idea. Working for 3M we are heavily involved in the vinyl end of it and do 3M original wraps. Last year at SEMA they were doing a new Camaro..the crowd around it was huge. I'm on the collision end of the business..believe me our industry is keeping an eye on this technology. I have seen some " wrapping" on special project interiors in the office, chrome looked chrome, carbon looked carbon, and wood looked like wood. Cant wait to see the finished product

millersgarage likes this.
  23. JBurt

JBurt

Sorry, it looked like one of those mirror spray jobs that were happening. If that is a wrap, it's way better than I expected.

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

My initial enthusiasm is fading now as the trial wrap is lifting and blistered in the concave areas. Sigh... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444834344.456868.jpg

25. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe a coat of topcoat paint that is really smooth will help adhesion?

26. Brian, is it lifting in the circled areas (and possibly right below the left one)? I'm guessing this picture was shot at the Vinyl shop, and it looks like it might not have ever been adhered properly in these areas. I kinda agree with Alchemy, if there were sanding scratches on the lower part like there were on the upper part, the introduced air could have caused the lifting as well. Did they (or can they) use a heat gun to get a little extra stretch in those sharp inside corners and curves? Brian bumper.jpg

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

So, what's been happening? Big fat NOTHING. Had a right hip replacement last week, am doing great but I can't get around without a cane, which makes it impossible to get out in the garage and actually DO anything. I peeled the vinyl wrap off, and am probably going to have them sprayed, as the car really won't be out in the weather much. My buddy Jake Moomey's '54 Chev has the faux chrome on bumpers and trim, after 10 years, it's showing it's age, but after 10 years with my '51 wagon, the rechromed grill and bumpers have issues as well. Hopefully in a couple weeks I can get back to work on this, the '63 Rivi, the '47 Spartan, and the '34 roadster.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, exactly. All the above. It would probably adhere fine completely prepped, but there'd still have to be seams, the wrap just won't stretch around all those tight curves.

29. Man, Brian, sorry to hear about the hip. Glad it's doing better, though. Hope you are 100% soon!

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks! Actually, I am happy to have lived long enough, and had so much fun with this body, that I'm wearing it out ;-)