Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '59 Thunderbird Radical Custom build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 22, 2013.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, I've given the paint a lot of thought too, as I've had several years to do so! My initial plan of silver and charcoal two-tone has been ditched as I think now it's too bland. The artwork which inspired me chop it, modify the quarters and bumpers is done in sea-foam green and emerald green, a tribute to the Hirohata Merc. I like this A LOT, but the car, even with the skirts and wide whites I have for it seems to have an aggressive, Bonneville look that wants a single color. Silver, with flake on the side spears might work, but I don't know how that would play with the lack of chrome. Maybe James D has some suggestions?

2. I've put a bit of thought into this too, and with the wheels you have I keep coming back to the Doane Spencer Thunderbird, in straight black. I could cook up some scallops or something if that's what you have in mind. Really depends on if you want to go for more of a race car, or a kustom look?

[​IMG]

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figured the 33-34 killed the bird! LOL Good to see you still plugging along.

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have a photo of the Doane Spencer 'bird on the wall, and another concept '55 bird even more ominous looking, which has similar headrest treatments to the tonneau cover I built 20 years ago for this car. It too is black, which, with the Salt Flats (I had them on the car before I saw that photo) looks killer. Is it a custom, or is it a hot rod? That's the dilemma, if it's both, it won't be either...

5. Doanes 'bird is both rod and kustom and none the worse for it. Race cars have scallops and stripes too.

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

7. Boatmark

Boatmark

Hmm - mile deep black, with subtle copper scallops? Sort of sneaky and sinister.

8. Too much like Billy Gibbon's Mexican Blackbird.

9. 53catalina

53catalina

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441352127.801242.jpg
    I still like the two tone green

10. millersgarage

millersgarage

so if you have this, why did you want a roadster?

flynbrian48 likes this.
  11. 53catalina

53catalina

You can never have too many cars

charleyw likes this.
  12. Me too. Pure class, and a tribute to one of the best customs ever.

B Bay Barn likes this.
  13. I have a bit of an idea. Will take me a while to draw it up.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  14. I'm pretty sure this car is being built at Hollywood Hotrods, so a different scheme would be appropriate. Of course I'm not sure the paint on the one they are doing will follow that suggested in the illustration..

James D will have a great solution I'm sure! ;)

Dave

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Last I heard that one was going to be metallic gold...this is the last rendering I saw of that one
    [​IMG]

flynbrian48 likes this.
  16. Ah, there you go. Two-tone green is back on the table!

Dave

flynbrian48 likes this.
  17. Mad Tiki

Mad Tiki

thats one of the coolest designs ive seen for that body bird! Looks like an update to the original batmobile. Cant wait to see it finished.

18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

My vote is for the two shades of green too, how about starting in front right above the bumper guards with about a 3" wide band of the darker green then follow under the chrome trim and down the spear then forward around it and back and finish at the bottom of the rocker panel

The year of your T bird would look perfect with a little bit of the Watson touch to your two tone, as his painting style was' Priceless ' with kind of a dual tribute going on with your great looking ride

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I was going to say that HHR was building one a similar one (based again on Eric Blacks design, but a subtly different one. Above, so, I can still paint it green, which now seems more and more like what I'll do. Been looking at colors and have actually picked two out similar to the original art.

Why buy a roadster? There was an empty bay in the garage after the '48 Pontiac left, and a wad of money burning a hole in my pocket!

Now, off to sand...!

OahuEli and nitrobrother like this.
  20. millersgarage

millersgarage

I need a bigger shop...

I have to hold back whenever there is an open spot, cars, tools, etc. I have a whole car (model a speedster) spread throughout mine, some against the wall, some in the attic, etc.

The bird looks great in one color. I don't think I've ever known it like that. Looking forward to seeing it in paint.

21. I don´t think the two tone green would work on this car without the chrome bumpers and I don`t think it would look right with the salt flats wheels either. You`d want whitewalls and caps.
    I played about and came up with this Spencer/race car set of stripes. It´s got added Batmobile.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  22. indyjps

indyjps

Just read the entire thread, silver with a LOT of pearl, if will make the body lines pop and show off the work you've done.

I like the salt flats and first set of skirts.

Can't wait to see more.

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

James, that's awsome work! The stance and roof line my car! But (here it comes) when the car was candy black cherry, I HATED people saying, "Look, the Batmobile!". So, black, while cool, and looks racy, is out. It's too late for chrome on the bumpers, unless they could be wrapped, which I'm looking into. The faux-chrome paint doesn't weather at all, that's also out. I have a set of WW's on 14's which I plan on using occasionally. I originally wanted it silver, perhaps silver with some flake, and just a slightly darker shade in the sweep panel and faded down the body (like the gold car) would look good. Grill is going to be stainless mesh, another insipiration from James D!

24. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

After a paint shop experience from hell, the car is getting close to having color done. Im gonna keep it under wraps til it comes out of the trailer at the GNRS.

ynottayblock likes this.
  25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hey Pc, sorry about your bad experience, that's why I paint my own stuff. I may be slow, but I'm not very good ;-)

26. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

27. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Brian Message sent.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

So, I have an acquaintance who does vinyl wraps who assures me he can wrap the bumpers in chrome. Hirohata green colors, here we come. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441920370.183237.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    glmarkie, AndersF, Dean Lowe and 5 others like this.
  29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

30. millersgarage

millersgarage

really!, I wanna see those bumpers.