Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '59 Thunderbird Radical Custom build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 22, 2013.

1. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I like the dash, that's going to look good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I hope you dont mind me playin around, but I was curious what some more swoopy, exagerated sail panels would look like, maybe like on a 61 or.....?
    Forgive my poor skills:D.............the skirts look good by the way.
    I also ran across the drawing when looking at 61 tops and thought you or someone else here might like to see it as well, so.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Frankie47 likes this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks for the effort (and I couldn't what you did with the photo!), but I've cut the top apart enough as it is, shortened the sail panels 8", leaned the backlight forward a couple of degrees, made the body fit the new backlight placement, I'm done cutting up that part of the car!

4. Torchie

Torchie

Great job on the dash eyebrows. Looking real great overall.
    Torchie.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420487243.687786.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420487259.321252.jpg

I guess I'm done sanding on the dash, but I'm not done working on it. The car has the complete wiring hRness from the '88 Mustang GT donor, I spent yesterday sorting out the headlight switch, turn signal switch and ignition wiring. The tach doesn't work, and somehow the steering column isn't centered under the gauge cluster, so the notch in it for the column doesn't quite line up. I'm sure I moved the gauge pod over to center the 3/8" it's off by. Dammit...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_4208.jpg IMG_4209.jpg This afternoon, after building a fire in the stove and waiting until the shop was about 50, I went out and tackled the problem with the dash insert. When I cut the gauge pods loose from the dash and welded them back on, I didn't get the drivers side quite in the right spot, and the gauge panel wasn't centered over the steering column. Since the dash is dropped the same 2" as the w/s frame, the gauge panel cut out for the original column was too low, in addition to being off to the right by about 3/8". The "fix" was to trim the die cast panel a little, to let it drop down over the column enough to mount into the dash. It now fits, and I'll make a little stainless trim panel to fill the gap and wrap around the column. Like it never even happened...

Now, if I could only find the blinker lever, tilt lever, and flasher knob that came with the column, I'd be happy.

spinner likes this.
  8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I really like that look! Looks kinda familiar though...lol.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_4630.jpg Back on the T'bird, after being inspired by Autorama. Got the front bumper almost finished, and finessing the fender skirts. I pulled the secondary skirt off, and I have to admit I really like the car with just the primary skirts on, especially with the Salt Flats wheels instead of the wide whites. I'm gonna also lose the door handles and continue the fin through that area of the door, but what to use? I'm thinking maybe Lincoln door buttons? I drew a line on the quarter, thinking I'd do a handle cut out, but I don't really like that seeing it drawn on the quarter. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

10. My first thought was '68-'82 Corvette flush fit door handles, but maybe not. Why not just no handle with solenoids and poppers? You could run an emergency pull loop up inside the door to just below the window fuzzy and mount it there so you could open the doors with an emergency hook you could keep on the key ring in case of solenoid or battery failure.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Glad you're still working the 'Bird.
    [​IMG]
    I like the idea of getting rid of the handles. A small hiccup in the quarter like this might not be too bad. Maybe a release button hidden in the fin area with a backup loop like BF suggested. With your MacGyver-ish ways, how about a little triangle/pyramid-shaped piece in the fin that you push down on to open the door? A really quick, ugly GIMP job:
    flyinbriantbirddoorhandleidea.png

flynbrian48 likes this.
  12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Just a thought, but since you're half-way there anyways...
    I noticed you've lengthened the skirts on this car to match the "flow" of the rocker to the rear of the wheelwell. Good idea! I've thought about doing the same thing, but what I would do (and I'm giving you this idea so I can see it done ;) ) is I would use some extra rocker material and carry the flare that the rocker panel has through to the back bumper, tapering it off after the fender skirt.
    Just a thought, but it would help improve the flow of the bottom of the car.
    P.S. This would be a bitchin' car to do a Winfield fade on...

13. 1pickup

1pickup

There was/is a bitchin' late model custom around these parts that had/has a similar treatment for your door handle idea. The cutout on the 1/4 panel was small & round. You slid your finger in to hit the hidden electric button that's mounted to the door in the jamb area. Pretty sure the door had a little flair on it too. Like, the mirror image of the cut out. Both were probably made from a piece of tubing. Not sure if the explanation comes across as cool as the work was.

14. RamJet1

RamJet1

I don't know if this is what was being described in one of the posts above, but what if you kept the recess behind the original door handle, and completed the fin over the top where the original handle used to be. Then you could hide a mechanical mechanism or a solenoid button on the back side of that fin piece.

Enjoying watching the build.

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426081346.445763.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426081365.411652.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426081378.478564.jpg

Lincoln door buttons on the way, $189. Seemed like a good deal.

16. Too late, but how about an electric key switch in place of the door lock

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've done power lock actuators and micro switches, but I like the Lincoln buttons and think they'll look nice on the doors.

18. That looks really good....please chrome the bumpers.....

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Really like the door treatment...

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I don't know about that...
    IMG_4636.jpg

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Actually, the secondary skirt does carry the rocker panel flair about a third of the way back, then it fades away and the bottom of the skirt tucks under and flows into the body line back of the wheel cut out. The quarters are cut to carry the "torpedo" line from the door all the way back to the bumper, which was also sectioned to keep that same line into the bumperette (which may indeed get chromed ;-) IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0702.jpg

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  22. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

That looks good Brian! I couldn't see the detail in the first pic. Keep on it!

23. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

I have to say you are an incredible builder. I first became aware of your talents when I was rebuilding a 1947 Sparton trailer and couldn't believe how fast you were able to finish it and how well it turned out. I don't know if this is your full time job but you still must not watch a lot of TV.

24. JBurt

JBurt

I like what you've done with the secondary skirt. But, I have always thought the upper skirt broke the lines of the torpedo.

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426889343.782185.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426889362.049315.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426889398.415144.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426889414.164705.jpg

Shaved the door handle from the passenger door today. The door latch has a second "finger" 3 inches above the lock which will be perfect for the Lincoln buttons. I drilled a little and am using an awl until they come.

Eric H likes this.
  26. Eric H

Eric H

Looking good! Always nice to have a cerveza after and admire your work.

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

T ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427145010.708982.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427145027.941258.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427145048.007714.jpg

The Lincoln door buttons came and work perfectly! Fitting them was super easy, just a hole in the the door skin and they fit and worked perfect with no fussing or fabricating. The doors pop open on release to the safety catch, then ther's plenty of room to get a finger behind the door and pull it open . I couldn't be more happy with them!

loudbang and nitrobrother like this.
  28. Torchie

Torchie

Very nice!!!!!
    Torchie

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Whew. I'm tired. Got both doors finished, front bumper done, and put the A/C compressor on the Rivieras engine, then took the dog for a three mile walk. I'm tired. :) IMG_4763.jpg IMG_4765.jpg IMG_4766.jpg