Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59 Fleetside Build: Update #1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drag'n 59, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

I have been wanting to post pics and info about my truck for a while. I have finally got around to it.
    This is my '59 Chevy Fleetside. I started on it in 2002 and I am still not done with it. I had an idea of what I wanted it to be and I have stuck with it, I did not want to rush anything.
    I usually only get to work on it for a few hours on the weekends and I have to drive over 40 miles one way to get to it. (Thats why it is taking so long)

Anyway here are some pics and info:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The guy I bought it from had the camaro clip held on with rebar and an angle or two.

[​IMG]

So I had to cut it off and start over

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the new big window cab I bought from a buddy...stole it. I got the cab doors, glass from the same truck that I got the front end from earlier. The little fat ass is FRITZ...RIP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the cowl panel I took it off and welded up the holes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one piece dash sheetmetal I also got as a freebie from another buddy

[​IMG]

I cut about 6" out of the ass end of the bed. I always looked to long to me, the closer to the ground the truck got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bed floor is made out of 3/4" thick aluminum honeycomb. It is lightweight and you can do some really killer stuff with it.

[​IMG]

These are the tailgate latches I came up with. The actual latch is an aircraft re moveable work surface latch. The receiver I made out of .090 stainless and backed it up with a 1/4" aluminum plate.

[​IMG]

More pics in a bit...

2. Judging by your avatar there are a lot more pics to come...

I love the '55-'57 Cameo trucks, but the '58-'59 fleets are beatiful.

Nice truck, looks like it's goona be really nice, man.

BRT

3. man thats coming along great , i love all things 59 as it was the year i was born myself .. the truck is lookin sweeet!

4. WOW! You lowered your dog too!!! You've got skills!!!

5. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Looking good man... it's funny I really miss my Fleetside, should have never sold it... and one rolled into the shop today to get a clip and new rear end... made miss it more.... I can't wait to see what you do with it form here

7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I know what your going through, it could be worse, you could have paid for the motor? Ya never know the motor may have had some issues you were not aware of.

8. fleetsidejeff

fleetsidejeff
    from Nebraska

really liking what u got there

9. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX